1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The debates on the Debates

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

What am I reading about this $1 billion deficit he left behind? What are these fees and who are paying them? Are they a pseudo-tax increase? Was Mass. fee'd to death? What was the impact of the cuts? Was this all worth it? What does his approval rating state about his performance?

These are irrelevant questions. This is happening in Pakistan, not Canada. We don't even have any Taliban in our mountains. The closest Taliban are that American breed south of the border.

If you look at the history, the speculation, the reports, the quotes, etc., you will know this issue is a complex and convoluted one. Pakistan a failed state, and you're worried about how American drone strikes against terrorists violate its sovereignty? You know what Pakistan has that Canada doesn't? Nukes. Think about that.

Look, I don't support the drone strikes. However, I do keep them within context. This isn't a Bush Doctrine issue. That's my point.

Fair enough.

In terms of the Bush Doctrine as I outlined above? Yes. Why do you think people outside of the United States approve of Obama more than Bush? Why do you think they want him re-elected? What did the think of Bush? Why the difference?

It's not domestic policy.

Again, these aren't Bush Doctrine issues.

The surge in Afghanistan was in advance of a planned withdrawal. Troops were withdrawn from Iraq. These were about cleaning up after the Bush Doctrine was already applied; they aren't about sustaining it or ramping it up.

Drone strikes I've addressed.

Use of air force? Libya? I've addressed that too. Not Bush Doctrine.

Threats of force against Iran? Not Bush Doctrine. Obama has been criticized by the right on his stance on sanctions and negotiations. Hardly Bush Doctrine. This is how American leadership has operated long before Bush.

And Cuba? You're kidding, right? Obama has been criticized by the right for being too willing to deal with Cuba. He made it possible for more travel to and from Cuba, and for money to transfer there as well. Allowing family to support and visit each other between America and Cuba is hardly Bush Doctrine. Renewing the embargo and pressuring the Cuban government to be more democratic is hardly Bush Doctrine.

I really don't know what you're getting at. I will agree that many of the GWoT issues are relatively unchanged, but Obama's foreign policy is hardly similar to Bush's.

You're missing the point, I think.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

My limit is about a buck, adjusted for the devaluation of the dollar in the past 4 years about fifty cents.

Romney has a cap, as does President Obama. I think President Obama reached his, I think undecideds are going to swing Romney. the margin of the undecided relative to turnout is the key. If for every undecided going for Romney, if President Obama counters with increased turnout of his base, he wins reelection. I don't think that will happen, I believe turnout will be materially lower in 2012 with President Obama's base voters than in 2008.
    --- merged: Oct 26, 2012 at 9:00 AM ---
    I believe race was a factor in Powell's endorsement. In 2008, Powell stated he was proud to support the first potential black President and he was proud of the social significance. In 2012 many still have an interest in seeing the first black President succeed and that is a factor in their support. sorry, but I don't play pretend games, I call them as I see them. To pretend race is not a factor, plus and minus, is silly isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
  3. redux

redux Very Tilted

Sounds to me like you're ignoring the polls and the trend lines, including those of likely independent voters in swing states like OH, and basing your analysis on a wing and a prayer or acting from the heart instead of the head.

Good luck with that!

4. Aceventura

I hope others comment on this, I am very interested in reading the perspectives of others, it is clear we disagree.
    --- merged: Oct 26, 2012 at 9:06 AM ---
    I am not a fanatic of Romney. My vote (I voted early) was a direct response to the first debate. My views on who is going to win is simply my opinion based on what I read and hear.
    --- merged: Oct 26, 2012 at 9:11 AM ---
    True.

Not true. I would still dislike President Obama and the people who surround him, but if the value of my house was up 50% rather than down 50%, if my business grew 50% rather than being down 50%, if I felt the country was on the right track I would tolerate my dislike. I can interact with those I don't like, some can't, but that is not me.

What I stand for is clear, what you stand for is not. Who has the problem?

5. redux

redux Very Tilted

Obama attempted to close Gitmo but was blocked (by both parties)
    Obama ended torture
    Obama set a hard deadline for Afghanistan counter to Bush policies
    Obama removed all troops from Iraq based on a hard deadline
    Obama has not adopted the Bush doctrine of preventive war (unilateral strike based on a perceived, not real or verified, threat to the US
    Obama let others (NATO) lead the Libyan action
    Sanctions and military threats against Iran/ N Korea is a policy of both parties
    Obama lifted restrictions on family travel and transfer of funds to Cuba and even opened the door on ending the embargo.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Baraka_Guru

They aren't abiding by the Bush Doctrine; they are dealing with its fallout. Furthermore, the failure to dismantle these things isn't to support the Bush Doctrine. This is facile thinking.

Commentators may be all like, "Well, look, Obama has adopted the Bush Doctrine." I think it's a silly thing to say. I will point out that Obama has shifted back towards the American baseline, but it's not like you can go back to that overnight after the mess Bush created. It's the same thing with the economy: Bush fucked things up so badly, you can't expect things to return to normal in a single term.

7. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I'd bite my tongue but not for the sake of "doing the deal" I'd do it out of respect for the other person's religious views.
    If Romney would bite his for the sake of the "deal" then Romney has no principles.
    Principles don't step aside or disappear as soon as they become inconvenient.
    Making as much money as possible is not a principled activity.
    Making money with a focus on ensuring no one is directly disadvantaged by your activities is a principled activity.

Romney doesn't see it as compromising his principles?

Do you see it as compromising his principles, Ace?

I agree that it's difficult to stand on principle in the world of business and politics but those who can't manage it don't deserve a pass simply because it is difficult - or because they're skilled at justifying unprincipled behavior.

What appeals to you Ace is not principles but whether or not you can understand the justification behind the behavior.

Romney is a moderate Republican.
    During the primaries, he had to pretend to be far right.
    If he was honest about his positions, he would not have won.
    Winning was more important than honesty.

Most would consider this unprincipled behavior. But in your world Ace, where winning is everything - lies, pretense, and deception are justified as necessary to reaching the goal.

8. Baraka_Guru

9. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

10. Baraka_Guru

See? Romney is a winner.

America needs a winner as a leader.

11. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

The man could give a shit about America and it's workers and he may be your (and my) President.

13. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i maintain some zany optimism that, sooner or later, people will wake the fuck up and see this cowboy capitalism for the form of suicide that it is.

14. Baraka_Guru

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Alistair Eurotrash

• Like Like x 3
  16. Baraka_Guru

17. Aceventura

Right, the President is not accountable - got it.

Got proof? If the President is not accountable, if the President doesn't know about things like attacks on our embassy by terrorist....how would he know if torture ended??? Or...do we let others torture on our behalf? Are you really as naive as your comment suggests - I don't think you are, I think you are all about the Presidents talking points.

What did he say in 2007 compared to where we are now?

Removal of troops was being negotiated under the Bush administration, President Obama finalized the deal. Unfavorable terms I might add.

I think drone strikes in a sovereign nation without consent could be considered an act of war. If your view differs, we disagree.

A difference without distinction in my opinion.
    that is my point - continuation of Bush foreign policy. I see little change if Romney is elected President.

Bush reaffirmed the embargo, but was optimistic. Again, President Obama following the lead of Presidient Bush and has not deviated or accelerated the path of the US/Cuban relationship.

Bush reaffirms Cuba embargo - CNN.com

Anything else?
    --- merged: Oct 26, 2012 at 4:18 PM ---
    If I follow a person who I believe either acted illegally, immorally, or outside of our best interests - there is no possible way I would do anything consistent with what that person did. If Gitmo was wrong - end it! If the Iraq war was illegal, remove our troops immediately. If preemptive military acts is wrong - don't do drone strikes. Your view is disturbing in that you think US drone strike in Canada without Canadian approval is not relevant but that drone strike in a ME country is o.k.??? Is that really what you think? I think if I were Pakistan, I would be pissed off, just like they are. How are drone strikes helpful in building long-term positive relationships? What is wrong with getting Pakistan's general approval for these strikes
    --- merged: Oct 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM ---
    That was an easy example. What if the prayer was for wiping another nation off the face of the earth? Or a prayer against homosexual people? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Or perhaps the principle in question is not important and that he is governed by other principles.

My wife is relatively more religious than I. I believe in living according to certain values, but could careless about religious traditions. It is important to her. we celebrate all her religious holiday's and raise our son accordingly. The key is that these things do not conflict with and are are consistent with my values. But if she wants to light candles and prepare certain foods on special days, I am happy if she is happy. I do not see this as compromising my principles.

I am not judgmental, seems you are. I don't care if Romney goes to heaven or hell - that is his issue with his maker. I just know that if I ever do business with Romney, I hope he is on my side of the deal.
    --- merged: Oct 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM ---
    The US needs a cut-throat business guy. I guy who won't get screwed internationally by other nations. The fact the guy plays the game to win is a plus. If you want a "Kumbaya" (putting it nicely) kinda leader, I feel for you. As they say if there is a street fight, you want a street fighter on your side. Community organizer???? Actually, what does a community organizer do? Was President Obama good at it? Is "organizing" what the world needs????

18. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

ace, i'm sorry, but that's just idiotic. as usual.

19. Baraka_Guru

You have three overarching choices when you inherit someone else's complex, steaming-hot-shit of a mess:
    1. Carefully handle each issue according to their complexity and consider the consequences of making changes to counter them, bearing in mind that causing worse problems or exacerbating the current problem are undesirable outcomes.
    2. Cut your losses. Just walk away. Let those who can't escape the problems deal with them. It will help them build character.
    3. Burn it. Burn everything! A sweet cleansing fire is the way to go. It's fast, it's effective, and you can start new things from scratch!
    The drone strikes aren't preemptive military acts. They're counterterrorism measures. Are we talking about the same thing?

I think your comparison is irrelevant, and it's not worth discussing. You do this too often. You move away from talking about the issue and try to talk about something irrelevant as a way to prove your point about the thing we're not talking about anymore.

Let me repeat: To the Canadian government's knowledge, there are no terrorist camps, activities, etc., operating within Canadian territory that may be candidates for being targeted with military strikes, whether via unmanned drones or otherwise. But, hey, I think that kind of stuff is happening in Pakistan. Do you want to talk about that?
    1. That you find disturbing my view that your mentioning Canada is irrelevant is also irrelevant. You're welcome to respond to the consequences of your immaterial analogies as you may, but they have little bearing on this discussion.
    2. I didn't say the drone strikes are okay. I said I don't support them.
    3. The point isn't about me or what I think. The point is that this kind of operation isn't an exclusive hallmark of the Bush Doctrine. It's counterterrorism, which is a kind of action that dates back as least to the '70s. There are examples of shit going on that have questionable means in terms of sovereignty, but there are other counterarguments about "right to defence" and shit like that. Consider the Al-Shifa pharmaceutical factory. The Pakistan issue is a complex issue that we needn't get into nor oversimplify. Let's stick to my point.
    I'll remind you that there is a lot of confusion about what's going on. One highlight:

Pakistani officials say they oppose U.S. drone strikes in Pakistan. The Pakistani parliament unanimously demanded that they stop. But U.S. officials claim that the Pakistani military has secretly approved the strikes. What is the truth here? If there is secret approval by the Pakistani military, but not by the democratically elected Pakistani government, should we be satisfied by that? Is such a situation politically sustainable in Pakistan? If there is not secret approval, is the U.S. violating international law with its drone strike policy? If the Pakistani military accepts some U.S. drone strikes but not others, does that count as approval of the drone strikes which the Pakistani military opposes, for the purposes of international law? If not, doesn't that imply that the U.S. is violating international law, even if the Pakistani military approves some drone strikes?​

As a failed state, there are fewer checks and balances in Pakistan as you might find in the U.S. or in Canada. The strikes are a continuation of the GWoT. Should they end? Well, certainly. Did they increase under Obama? Yes. Are they breaching any law? I think that's argued either way. Does this make Obama "the same as Bush"? I really can't see how.

Where are you going with this? Are you saying Obama has been the same as Bush in Iraq? Afghanistan? Pakistan? Gitmo? Do Republicans agree with you? Do Democrats?

Are their policies the same? Really?

20. Alistair Eurotrash

Simple. I wouldn't join in and I would make my objections known. Sometimes there are higher priorities than "winning the deal".

That's what principles are. I don't have another definition of principles, because there isn't one.

What makes you think the cut-throat is on YOUR side? He is on HIS side. He will do what suits HIM, even if it means cutting YOUR throat. But, go ahead. Fill your boots.

On drone strikes, however, I can't take too much issue. I'm not defending Obama on that one. They are wrong, in my view.