1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The Elephant in the room...The GOP today

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I think this is one of the best articles about the current state of politics I've read in a while. It's utterly unforgiving to both sides and brutally logical about our current options.

Some excerpts:

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Thomas Friedman went vicious on the GOP, so much so it's spread on the web.

Hell of a piece

3. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

They should nominate Hillary Clinton for this GNP. She is on the center-right for many issues. Wall St., foreign intervention, oil, trade, fracking, regulation, taxes...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

They can't because they've spent so long attacking all of those things, and the underlying values necessary to have a party standing for them, that they're incapable of getting off the crazy train now.

• Like Like x 2
  5. rogue49

Actually, I think the difference will be this...the ability to BE attacked.

Hillary is already stone, granite...they've throw everything and the kitchen sink at her and ground it down to infinity...
    They haven't found anything substantive...and she's used it...withstood it all.

Donald is wood, solid but flammable...he's has only gotten a taste...he's used having his background and history be vague or spun.
    He's already showing cracks, a thin skin...and the skeletons are being dug out.

I project Hill will outlast Don in the word & will war.
    Each vulnerable, each biting...but who can withstand the heat.

6. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Haven't found anything substantive? Withstood it all? Jill Stein said it best: Lesser evilism has gotten us two of the most disliked candidates in history. People despise Hillary and would love to see the FBI finally indict her but they revile Trump even more. If it had been anyone other than a freaking /pol/ troll running for president we'd have a Republican in office by December.

7. rogue49

Indict her for what?? An email server?
    Something that many govt execs did at the time...and other Secretaries of State.
    They've already said nothing was classified at the time.
    So what??

So how many people do you want to put in jail for pot usage or speeding??
    Because that's the equivalent.

As I say with many prosecutions...give me something that REALLY matters.
    Uhh...like fraud (trump), bilking normal people out of tons of money.
    Not speeches to rich people.

Can we stop overreacting to nonsense?
    And focus on REAL issues.

Next I know, you'll want to impeach a president for a blowjob...oops, too late.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I think Hillary would have won against Cruz, but would have lost against Kasich, Rubio, Bush, or Walker.

People have already made their mind up on Hillary for the most part. If the election was held tomorrow, I doubt that 2% of the votes now would be different in November, barring any major news or scandals. Well, that is 2% of the independent/registered Republican vote switching, not the Bernie Sanders left votes.

9. rogue49

The Indelible Stain of Donald Trump

A good article summing up the real question...Trump is the antithesis of the classic conservative.
    All he does is represent their rage (& racism).

Why would you allow your party to be taken over by such a person??
    Are your ideals not betrayed?

I've always said I've got some conservative values...but I won't vote for the GOP mostly, because of what they've become.
    Find your soul again...get back your integrity.

What is the cost of winning?

10. rogue49

Here’s how to wreck the Republican Party

Gotta love the sarcasm ;)

I really don't know if I can keep up with all the "Trump is terrible" articles.
    They're like bacon fat...bad in most any volume, but you can't stop tasting. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. rogue49

12. rogue49

Never Trump may be coming back to life...
    #NeverTrump gets liftoff: Delegates speak up

Question is, will the GOP as a whole actually reject a mainrunner.
    They seem to keep to the script always, even if it seems to be a disaster. (then again, the Dems do too)

That being said...I wonder if politicians can actually do something for the right choice, even if different...or just trying to save face from being wrong beforehand.
    I think the public would give them the benefit of the doubt.
    The media, wouldn't though...they like "gotchas" too much. :rolleyes:

13. rogue49

• Like Like x 1
  14. rogue49

It's just too easy...Late Night bit writers and comedians are just having screaming orgasms after 8 years of solid Obama and now boring Hillary.
    Shit just writes itself...

Trump’s 'great' memory draws fire in Trump U deposition
    Did you know that there is now a conspiracy theory that Trump is shill for the Dems, a Manchurian Candidate??
    Some are saying that he's a ploy by the Dems, to get the GOP to have such a bad non-conservative nominee...that it submarines the party and allows the Dems to win by avalanche from the backlash.
    - LINK

You just can't write this shit...a step beyond.

15. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I think this is an extraordinarily optimistic evaluation. Hitler didn't look like a Hitler before he ascended to power. People thought he was a joke. Nobody thought he was evil. At worst, a thug with a big mouth.

Evil pretty much never wears a name tag.

Nobody just trips and whoopses and bumbles into being heavily supported by neo-Nazis, white supremacists, the KKK, Christian militias, and xenophobic demagogues of all sorts. Nobody is just innocently dumb-fucking their way into galvanizing hundreds of thousands of people with racist, misogynistic, homophobic, bigoted rhetoric.

I don't believe Trump has the kind of specific, horrifically precise plans for genocide that Hitler did. But that in no way means that he would not be perfectly amenable to rounding people up, and perhaps killing a lot of people.

A Trump Rally in Greensboro "Anger in here is palpable" (with tweets) · case_face · Storify
    Donald Trump aide: 'Not every six-sided star is a Star of David' - CNNPolitics.com
    Why The New Child Rape Case Filed Against Donald Trump Should Not Be Ignored

These are not stories that describe a stupid yet not evil man's campaign.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

You'd think the promises of mass deportations, building a 2,000-mile wall, and monitoring/banning a group of people based on their religion would be early warning signs, no?

His so-called "plans" are recipes for disaster for literally millions of people.

17. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Yeah. Let's not forget that Hitler's "announced" agenda at the start wasn't to kill all the Jews and other "undesirables," it was to "resettle" them or force them to emigrate, and/or to strip them of some of the rights of "regular" citizens and deprive them of their wealth.

Perhaps Trump would never advance much beyond his "announced" agenda-- and that alone, as you note, would be disastrous. But I see zero reason to trust that, once given power, he and his associates would not make free to push past their "announced" agenda, and I have zero faith in his restraint, given that he appears to be blissfully free of empathy and compassion, and deeply inclined to scapegoat and dehumanize.

18. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The unbelievable thing that ties this all together: According to PolitiFact, Trump tells the truth only 16% of the time, which is an incredibly low rate even by politician standards.

I don't know how anyone can trust him on anything.

19. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I'm not seeing the hatred for Hillary. Many people dislike her because they see her as an insider with the considerable baggage that comes along with being an experienced politician.

In 2012 the Republicans had a very good opportunity to unseat a vulnerable Obama. They couldn't get their shit together to support their strongest candidate, and now in 2016 their candidate is a blowhard they don't like.

• Like Like x 2
  20. rogue49

from Fark... :)
    I can't wait...
    *grabs the popcorn*

Just in time after the 7th Benghazi hearing.
    Geez, I thought I'd be bored.

• Like Like x 1