1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The Elephant in the room...The GOP today

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Aug 28, 2012.

1. redux

redux Very Tilted

Oh man, the Republicans who loved Comey, the no-nonsense man of integrity and former Deputy Attorney General in the Bush Administration, want his head now!

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Oh snap...just too funny not to share
    [​IMG]

3. rogue49

4. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

Just when you thought Jeb Bush couldn't get any sadder.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rogue49

The GOP Party is over...
    Nah
    Methinks he's being a little too optimistic from his liberal standpoint...you protest too much.
    Both parties' demises have been greatly exaggerated in the past.

And I don't think the GOP will learn anything, even if they get trounced.
    They'll do the exact same thing they did after Obama's first election.
    Mope, do a "review" (approximately a year) ...and come out the other side doubling-down on all the things that make them feel warm & fuzzy.

They're not called the conservative party for nothing. NTTAWWT.

6. rogue49

You Mean It’s Next Week? Why Some G.O.P. Senators Will Skip the Convention

Quite humorous, some of the excuses these GOP'rs are using to not go :)

Actually both conventions are going to be interesting, as they both semi-hold their noses.
    It will be AFTER consequences and results that will be REALLY interesting.
    But I think the Dems will rally for the most part, no telling what at the GOP party

7. rogue49

Melania...I guess you never heard this catchphrase here in America.
    "Is it live? Or is it Memorex??" :)
    [​IMG]

No worries, no one will notice... ;)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  8. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I'm just wondering if it wasn't Michelle's speechwriter or Michelle herself that knew that the speech had a lot of the same phrases in it, who the hell would ever check that and find this out, especially a few hours afterwards.

Maybe it could have been an inside job, but that doesn't look likely since the speechwriter's copy they showed on the news didn't have the 2008 phrases in it.

Strange, and I just have to wonder if Trump's poll numbers might actually fall after the convention, has that ever happened?
    --- merged: Jul 19, 2016 at 9:57 PM ---
    If Trump loses in November, Cruz will probably run again in 2020 and have a good chance of winning the nomination and being a "true" conservative. Which is what the far-right will claim was the problem with Trump.

I'm scared of the anti-Hillary wing of the left. I might agree with them on a lot of issues, and Jill Stein does have a much better environmental plan that I like, but I really doubt the Green Party would be able to win any states to get to 270 electoral college votes. Even if Hillary dropped out a month before and there was nobody running on the Democratic side, she would have a hard time getting to 270 votes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2016
  9. wye

wye Getting Tilted

Jarrett Hill of Twitter liked the line about "willingness to work for [dreams]" when he heard it back in 2008 and remembered it when he heard it again yesterday.

I'm amazed that neither Melania Trump, the Trump campaign, nor the RNC have deigned to release a statement disowning the plagiarized content and condemning plagiarism in general but rather have continually issued progressively more ridiculous defenses. This is the latest one:

RNC official cites 'My Little Pony' to defend Melania Trump - CNNPolitics.com

My first reaction is that they're only digging themselves deeper in deceit. If they were to simply give a single boring apology, the media might lose interest and stop hounding them about it. But maybe they're adopting Trump's successful practice of saying ever more outrageous things to get as much publicity as possible?

The only possible rationales I can fathom for Sean Spicer's supremely pathetic argument are as follows:

1. He's mentally removed from reality and sincerely believes that his scattered examples of several short, marginally similar quotations exonerate the extensive, clearly plagiarized passages of the speech.

2. While sane and cognizant of the plagiarism, he has strategically resolved to put forward this defense in desperate attempt to beguile anyone who hasn't independently examined the similarities of two speeches.

3. As above, he's adopted the Trump tactic of self-righteous rage baiting in favor of getting even more negative attention.

Between this interview and one from Fox's coverage of the convention, Spicer has repeatedly reverted to scapegoating Clinton, who's shaping up to be the Emmanuel Goldstein of this Four Days Hate.

10. rogue49

Here are 2 viewpoints from opposite sides on their "frowning" on the GOP convention and Trump as the confirmed candidate:

The right - Trump's Nomination Is a Response to Elites' Failure
    The left - A very Trump convention -- messy, undisciplined, angry

Actually, I think both are interesting and fair in their assessments.

However, what about those who support Trump??
    Mostly I've only heard from those who are trying to save face, posture or have an agenda.

I never hear much from those masses of people who voted for him.
    Or was that the crowd we saw??

Is this a good thing? Or a bad thing?
    You tell me. You've already read my sentiments.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  11. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

This is a real image.
    image.jpeg

12. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

So are dozens of others of Obama, Bush, Hillary, and basically everyone that's ever waved to someone else.

13. wye

wye Getting Tilted

Yeah, but it's more apt when similarly fascist people do it.

Perhaps more legitimate is this tweet whose embedded image appears in the Harrison Ford graphic that Rogue49 posted above.

[​IMG]

The "soldiers" in the bottom red stripe are historical reenactors decked out in full Nazi garb (late-war Waffen-SS):

[​IMG]

14. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

They aren't supposed to shake hands at the RNC due to the norovirus, so saluting is the next best option I guess.

15. rogue49

I can't keep up with how many articles on how Trump is pissing off the GOP (or worrying them...)
    And so on...
    You just voted this guy to be your candidate???
    Are you SURE he's not the Manchurian kind?
    I mean, he's been married to 2 different ex-soviet bloc woman...and seems to love praising Putin. ;):rolleyes::eek::confused:
    Sounds like some brain washing to me...

**although, I think anyone that listens to him needs some brain washing.

16. rogue49

One of the advantages of living near DC...
    Wake held near Capitol Hill for the Republican Party

RIP GOP
    Welcome to America :cool:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  17. rogue49

Even their own have noted it as "The Stupid Party"...such as Governor Bobby Jindal did awhile back.

And here...Max Boot, a senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations, was a foreign policy adviser to the presidential campaigns of John McCain, Mitt Romney and Marco Rubio.
    How the ‘Stupid Party’ Created Donald Trump

I'm all for enjoying the 3 Stooges and partying it up...but I don't know how you can be proud of anti-intellectualism when it comes to running our nation...and dealing with the world. :rolleyes:

18. rogue49

19. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  20. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I wonder if there isn't something to this. If enough of the old school conservatives, who aren't out and out religious zealots, racists, and anti-intellectuals, are horrified enough by Trump and the GOP that has embraced him, perhaps a new party will rise, or there will be one hell of a purge in the GOP ranks as they force the Teabaggers out. It would be to everyone's weal, that much is certain, though I may be being overly optimistic, so I don't think I'll be holding my breath....

A Republican Intellectual Explains Why The Republican Party Is Going To Die
    --- merged: Aug 2, 2016 at 5:09 PM ---
    You never know. Personally, I diagnose him with fucking batshit crazy assbag disorder.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2016
    • Like Like x 2