1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The Elephant in the room...The GOP today

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Aug 28, 2012.

1. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

That article is pretty garbage. There's no real evidence that Republicans are distancing themselves from Trump, and given that more than 80% of Republican voters approve of Trump as of last week there's little reason to think they would. There's definitely some power plays happening; I think Republican leadership expected Trump to be more docile and controllable, and are now having a hard time keeping him on track, but that is not the same thing as separating themselves from him. The Russia sanctions were not a blow at Trump, they were just experienced politicians doing what experienced politicians do. With more evidence emerging seemingly by the day that Russia interfered in the 2016 election, retaliatory sanctions are pretty much required.

In the same vein, characterizing the ACA repeal vote as some great Republican rebellion against Trump is blatantly disingenuous. Senators Murkowski, Collins, and McCain all have long histories of taking moderate stances on many issues, and all three have a track record of being very willing to voice opposition to the party line when they feel it's warranted. This was not some great Republican renunciation of Donald Trump or anything else; it was three moderate senators voting against a terrible piece of legislation.

Some media outlets seem determined to spin a narrative of Trump's fall from grace as if he's going to be repudiated and impeached any day now. That doesn't really reflect reality. Trump has put the GOP in a bad spot right now in that their choice is essentially to alienate independent moderates or alienate their far-right core voters, but there's no sign that they're going to go against their base any time soon. I think it's important to be realistic about these sorts of things, and as of right now, talk of the GOP distancing themselves from the Trump administration is pure fantasy.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Yeah, Trump and Bannon have done nothing that would piss off the Tea Party conservative base yet. And a dysfunctional government is still better than one that regulates and prevents upper middle class people from doing what they want to do. Making America White Again is fine with them. Police should be tough on suspects, and they are guilty until proven innocent. Being selfish and getting ahead at any cost is winning.

The real story is the mess that is going on in the Democratic party and the infighting over there. Some want to move towards an economic message, hoping to capture some poor workers (who want Trump to build the wall then bring back discrimination, religion, and punishment). The others want to move further to the left and see if they can govern a split nation any better. The leadership isn't doing the job they need to do to be an opposition party and bringing all the different factions together. And quite frankly, I'm worried that the GOP will gain seats in 2018. The conservatives have a shot at reaching 60 in the senate if things go their way, all they just have to win is Montana, North Dakota, West Virginia, Missouri, Indiana, Ohio, Florida, and Michigan. Wisconsin, Maine, or Virginia could flip as well. The media narrative if the Republicans gain seats in 2018 will be that the people support Trump and the resistance to him is weak. And quite frankly, I don't know any Trump supporters who have changed their minds and would have voted for a Democrat, let alone Hillary in the last election. I'm not sure what it will take to make them change their minds by 2018, or to not show up to vote in 2018.

3. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Not that I'm complaining...but holy shit.
    It's a strange world
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Damn cute photo though. :)

5. rogue49

I'm not one for the current GOP...although I have some conservative values
    But I wonder what those who identify themselves as Republicans feel about this???
    The GOP’s Civil War Over Trump

Any perspective?

6. rogue49

Good move by the GOP governor of Maryland.
    Some are finally getting it.
    Gov. Hogan wants controversial statue removed from Maryland State House grounds

Hey, I may be cynical and say he's doing it because MD tends to be Dem leaning and there's a significant and powerful black population here.
    But same difference, even if he is...
    It pulls it down and something non-offensive goes up.

Hopefully, he's doing it for the right reasons.
    If anything, it's time to move on. (besides, MD hasn't been "Southern" for a LONG time)

Weird the way the momentum of things that get built or titles and such to just stay around....whether good or bad.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. rogue49

• Like Like x 1
  8. rogue49

9. rogue49

Kushner used private email to conduct White House business

Umm...isn't THIS what the GOP accused Hillary of??
    And launched a 1000 investigations...and a million accusations. :rolleyes:

What do we hear now??
    *crickets*
    Except for one non-partisan investigation train conducted by Mueller...with cow-catcher and all...chugging along
    Train's coming... ;)

The hypocrisy is deafening :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  10. rogue49

The GOP Identity Crisis

They lost their way and souls years ago.
    Going from disappointing to despicable.

And I used to vote Republican and have quite a few conservative values.
    Sure the Dems may be corrupt...but the GOP raised it to an artform.
    I can't stand the hate.
    The bile
    The dirty tricks
    The stand. no matter the logic, the impact, the harm

You can be better humans, better citizens, better leaders.
    They're supporting the worst of us.
    Do the right thing.
    You CAN do that AND still be conservative.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  11. rogue49

Hundreds of White House emails sent to third Kushner family account

Why does this NOT surprise me at all??
    GOP has become a purveyor of constant hypocrisy (not that the Dems are often clean either...but the GOP seems to have made it an art-form and a mindset)
    Do as we say, not as we do.
    JAIL that one over there, but not us...it's not important when we do it.

And they do it, WHY...because they can get away with it...and it works.
    We allow it to influence our choices...then don't react when someone is not REALLY screaming about it.

So why do WE let this happen?
    Sure, life is full and it's a blur...but we're biased, tribal and seemingly do NOT remember anything from the past.

The voters have as much to blame on the quality of their government and Congress
    And the lack of action to do something about corruption and poor ethics.
    It's THEM, not US
    My Rep is good...theirs is BAD.

Look in the mirror lately??
    Think about who you're voting for??
    What HAVE they done?
    Do you REALLY care?
    or are you just voting the ticket...and what you saw on the filtered news...or what your family and friends said??

Are you REALLY independent?
    Do you REALLY think for yourself?

Why vote for a party or representative that lies or twists or "gets away" all the time??
    They sure do a hell of a tap dance, don't they??
    Pay the piper, folks.
    They need their money... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

I am much more concerned about the identity crisis on the left. The DNC is made up of rich centrists who want to compromise and not go too negative. They don't have a message to white people under 40 besides being pro environment and birth control.

People were coming up with the autopsies on the GOP in 2008, well the Democrats are in a worse position now than they were back then. It's like the media doesn't want to rock the boat and figure out what is going on.

• Like Like x 1
  13. rogue49

True
    The GOP needs to save their souls
    The DNC needs to find their souls...

Voters need to figure out how to read souls
    Because we suck at it as a whole

• Like Like x 1
  14. rogue49

In a switch, GOP deserts its budget-cutting mantra

I've got one question...did they really EVER?? :rolleyes:

I'm all for some fiscal conservativism, restaint, efficiency, budget and debt reduction.
    BUT
    1. within reason...we DO have to spend some money.
    2. GOP actually spends MORE than Dems
    (FACT - they cut the programs they don't like, which are small and a fraction of the whole REAL no magic budget...and spend TONS on military, intelligence , police, etc...)

It's like saving a buck on eggs, then spending several hundred on those spinning rims.
    (one is FOOD, the other is projection of power...totally unnecessary - hey guys...the PENTAGON even said they do NOT need those tanks ):confused:

• Like Like x 1
  15. rogue49

16. rogue49

Analysis: Trump’s attacks on Senate Republicans are paying political dividends

Looks like the GOP have invited a serpent into the nest.
    Hasn't anything taught you not to trust serpents??? (things that make you go...hmm. What is that book called that they rave about so much?? :rolleyes:)

Oh well, guess Trump gets to have his GOP eggs and eat them too.
    And the Dems in the other nest are just watching and waiting when theirs is vulnerable and maybe even empty.

The GOP really has to work on who they invite to the table. ;)
    They contradict themselves so much on those values they espouse on.

17. rogue49

Analysis | Republicans’ horrible week (and not-great year) was entirely predictable

You reap what you sow...
    There's a reason that's a truism.
    Sowed hate
    Sowed discord
    Sowed distrust
    Sowed division
    Sowed selfishness
    Sowed ...
    And so on...

This is why they're collapsing like a rotten pumpkin.
    The only thing going for them is the Dems have no drive, no message, no spine.

But you can only live on the weakness of your opponents so long.
    You have to lead, govern, fix
    It doesn't do it by itself.

And putting an insane bus driver at the wheel doesn't help.

This is why I cannot side with the GOP...they are doing everything the "wrong" way.
    Not ideas...but attitude.
    Although their ideas are mostly driven by the salesmanship of corporate lobbyists. (or what sells to their basest base)
    Not what works.

Gotta throw away that rotten pumpkin.
    Start fresh.

18. rogue49

Trump’s GOP Firewall

You ever wonder why that couple over there allows their brat to run amok??
    You're basically seeing it in action here.
    The GOP is only concerned with their own asses??

No rule here.
    No leading.
    No adults.

Just stare in shock at the chaos
    and nobody responsible for controlling stopping it. (hey, they're majority...he's in their party...it's on them)

19. rogue49

20. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Poll: 37 percent of Alabama evangelicals more likely to vote for Moore after allegations

The problem is that more than a third of the state will still vote for him.
    And sad to say it's pretty true to form.
    Like I said in a Facebook post on the subject.
    "Of course they are more likely to vote for him.
    The charges are proof that the lamestream media and the liberal elite are out to get him.
    That's all they need to get set for a fight. It doesn't matter if the charges are true.
    As Trae Crowder put it, these folks will burn down their own house so smoke will git up a liberals nose."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1