1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The Elephant in the room...The GOP today

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Some major donors at the state level are saying enough.

https://ml.t-mobile.com/article-con...&lang=en&item_id=10119792&screen_name=article

The GOP would be wise to develop a platform based on what the GOP was previously known for, and stop supporting nonsense in the name of power.

I'm no fan of Raygun, but since he is a GOP Gawd, I am curious how he would react to the continued support of NPD Trump. The overall movement to the extreme right would probably please him.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Reagan was old-school...he wouldn't have liked the extremism.
    He was more like Romney...who doesn't like T or the lengths the GOP has gone.

Frankly, I think even the fans are now tired of the constant ask for money, they're getting REALLY hit on inflation and raising rent rates,
    There's only so much $$$

That would be funny and ironic...T losing because no one could afford to support him anymore (or his lawyers)
    I wonder if this will be a long term trend.
    The lowering of donations altogether. (for all sides)

• Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

Georgia Republican Tells Voters 'They Lied To You' After Giuliani Bombshell

Ok, this is a Republican saying this.
    and there's been others in the past.

What makes many GOP members ignore the Elephant and even others in their party...and T & his cronies still get support???
    The crimes are adding up.
    and still...

It's truly like a cult.
    Hopefully, they become aware and them packing.

4. Chris Noyb

• Like Like x 1
  5. rogue49

Actually, it depends on the source and moment you get it on.
    I've seen articles for it going down.
    Really its going to be all spectulation for a long time to come.
    Polls are fickle, as are voters.

6. Chris Noyb

There are very few poll results I take at face value, it's way too easy to manipulate questions to help get the results you want. I read one poll that was surprisingly quite lengthy. It turns out the poll started with many general neutral questions, but slowly (and very slickly) started wording the questions to get certain answers.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Chris Noyb

And here I was hoping if the head (NPD Trump) was removed, the body would return to normal.

I should know better, I live in a state determined to return to 1953.

DuhSantis is an idiot, but he's an idiot in power.

^ The same for Abbott and many other red governors.

Marjorie Taylor Greene, and other equally clownish representatives keep getting reelected.

Kevin McCarthy is still SOTH.

George Santos hasn't been removed (the poster boy for how low the GOP is willing to go).

Those examples of the Repubs that receive a lot of news media attention. The low profile Repubs who quietly but steadily chip away at our democracy and judicial system are more dangerous.

• Like Like x 1
  8. rogue49

Oh, it goes further than the "usual suspects" we see in the media.
    there's a deep underlying series of groups that are very active.

The Federalist Society and Heritage Foundation are just the tip of the iceberg.
    There's a ton of PACs, etc doing business under ambiguous names, if not umbrella groups that support beneath that even.

This is a pervasive rot...a growing fungus.
    Like this...
    Conservative groups draw up plan to dismantle the US government and replace it with Trump’s vision

but it's not really T's vision, he's just a con artist leveraging the hate for his fame & fortune.

It's more like people like Leonard Leo and such that are more insidious and much smarter & subtle.
    Rightwing activist Leonard Leo under investigation in Washington DC

and even he is just the tip of the iceberg...those we know about.

-------

Meanwhile, McConnell had another freeze moment.
    Mitch McConnell Suddenly Freezes Again While Talking to Reporters

This will be the 2nd GOP leader with a medical issue.
    The first in the House majority leader with blood cancer, Scalise

Unfortunately, those 2 leader have pushed the US to the edge, getting their people in place.
    Even if they go, what have they left behind...and it could be even worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. pig

pig Slightly Tilted Donor

I can't believe that McConnell is in the position he's in, Boxer is where she is...and people are railing on Biden.

I can't believe we might have another choice between two geriatric white males, again, and I can't believe that the choice is so clear. I can't believe the bullshit coming out of most of the other Republican candidates on the topic of Trump.

Chris Christie or Asa Hutchinson is the short list?

The fuck?

• Like Like x 3
  11. rogue49

12. Chris Noyb

As long as Repub voters keep voting for Repub candidates even when those candidates are unethical lowlifes the civil war will continue.

Paxton was reelected big with most of his legal troubles known...and will be again.

Our three local major network TV news station are the absolute worst when it comes to hard political coverage. Hell, it's not even flacid.

13. rogue49

14. Chris Noyb

Is Parick McHenry being dickhead on his own, or is he being a dickhead at the direction of other dickheads?

Vengeful children.

Voters in general want big, exciting news. Local news stations don't allot much -- if any at all -- time for small political news.

15. Chris Noyb

^ Quoted from another thread.

What will the GOP do when NPD Trump falls?

Hopefully he will lose the 2024 Pres race. He's not getting any younger, and sooner or later somebody is going to start drawing attention to his increasing number of mispeaks and lost thoughts. The Repubs not part of his base will want an electable candidate, and even some of his base will abandon ship.

Suppose NPD Trump isn't allowed to run in 2024. What then for the GOP? IMO the best action would be forget the 2024 Pres race, & get a jump on reorganizing. If the current crop of candidates is anything to go by, & the polling is correct, there would be a leadership void. And plenty of infighting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. rogue49

‘What Is Broken in American Politics Is the Republican Party’

Yes, absolutely...the GOP is broken.
    And it seems they want to break everything.

Problem is, there's no alternative other than the Dems.
    Independent, Green, etc...have really no big leverage like we see in other countries with multiple parties.
    It's not in the Constitution...it's just tradition and the fact the big 2 have taken up all the air.

One of the big 2 have gone nutso.
    So what do we do???

IDK. The Dems don't have the strength to nail the GOP down.
    and the voters have the shortest memories and keep going back and forth like a pendulum between meh and OMG.
    We're a country that wants a good relationship and respect, but we keep going back to the "bad boys"...at least enough to create damage YET again.

It truly doesn't make sense.
    The Dems are meh, but at least they aren't acting like crack addicts.

17. Chris Noyb

This was presented as being from the actual interview, Mitt Romney speaking to The Atlantic.

"In a series of interviews with the Atlantic’s McKay Coppins, he recounted how, “in public”, his fellow Republican senators “played their parts as Trump loyalists, often contorting themselves rhetorically to defend the president’s most indefensible behaviour. But in private, they ridiculed his ignorance, rolled their eyes at his antics and made incisive observations about his warped, toddler-like psyche.”"

The GOP is scared to:
    Cut NPD Trump loose.
    Confront what they've became.
    Undertake the painful reorganization they desperately need.
    Risk the fallout of all of the above.

Most likely a paywall...

What Mitt Romney Saw in the Senate

• Like Like x 1
  18. Chris Noyb

I can't remember where most of the George Santos comments went, but since this will affect the GOP I'm posting it here.

Rep. George Santos faces 10 new federal charges, including allegations of stealing donors' identities, running up fraudulent credit card charges | CNN Politics

Santos Faces New Charges Accusing Him of Lies and Credit Card Fraud

George Santos is either very clever at pretending to have some psychological illnesses, or he's so stupid he doesn't know when to quit (the criminal activities, he's not about to resign as a HORR).

One thing is clear: The GOP is in no hurry to get rid of him.

• Like Like x 1
  19. rogue49

Probably the latter...his whole career has been a comedy of errors.

And the GOP is anything goes these days.
    There's no restraint, no decorum, even criminal actions aren't addressed.

They just ignore it and continue with the rage machine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. rogue49

Today on the Hill: The latest developments on Capitol Hill - WTOP News

From this list, I don't like anyone...they're all connected to radical groups
    Or have continuously voted for some questionable things. (even the friggin' ex-general)

Basically, they need someone that can work across the aisle and not piss the Dems off.
    It's too close in numbers not to work with the Dems some. (heck, even in their own party too)

Anyone have any insight into the most rational of this set??? :confused:
    I haven't seen a clear one yet.