1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) Performed by Floppy Drives

Discussion in 'Found on the Net' started by Baraka_Guru, Oct 1, 2011.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

2. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Hahahahhahahaha, that made me laugh hard!

3. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

R2D2's great great grandparents.

4. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

so awesome!

5. aquafox

aquafox Getting Tilted

Super!

6. Lirpa

Lirpa Vertical

Wow, it makes me sad to think that kids these days aren't going to understand why this is so awesome!

7. Daval

Daval Getting Tilted

OMG - I totally loved that! This one's getting shared on Facebook :)

8. Ice|Burn

Ice|Burn Getting Tilted

To. Freaking. Awesome.

9. Steinbex

Steinbex New Member

Ha! That's awesome.

I remember a form of copy protection for some old computer games that required you to have a "key disk" inserted in your floppy drive. This disk had hidden (i.e. non-standard formatted) tracks on it that would make your floppy drive sound crazy. However, it wasn't the music of The Imperial March - it was the sound of your floppy drive being forced to do things it wasn't designed for, and thus causing it a slow, gradual death.

10. Robot Parade

Robot Parade New Member

This made me happy.

11. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

There were also a nasty malware that would send a command to the floppy to go to next track and would repeat it so the drive would end up thinking it was at track 100 (or something way beyond the 48 the disk had) then it would ask the drive to seek to track 0, the stepper motor would be at full speed when the head smashed in the frame usually destroying the drive.
    I have also heard that this was actually put in some game's copy protection but I have no confirmation on that.

12. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Going the other direction....
    When I was in college I remember somebody doing an orchestra arrangement (strings, trumpets, drums...) of the "song" that a dialup modem made connecting to AOL...:)

Lindy

13. Fly

Fly music is the answer

ahahhahha..freakin' awesome

14. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Talent, pure talent

15. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

(I didn't want to start a whole new thread and thought this one was appropriate enough.)

A short video creating music (rhythm, to be precise) through the use of dropping everyday objects.

16. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Quite cool!

17. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

That is what you get when you don't have to worry about having a job every month for 40 years... It would be nice to have summers off to work on some of my crazy projects.

Anyways, it is a cool video, and I enjoyed it. I hope he does some other songs.

18. Ozmanitis

Ozmanitis Trust in your will and Hope will burn bright!

LMAO...ahh the joys of the old floppy drives, bring back such memories. Like how I perfected my cussing due to my %$#@! drives. or the massive storage needed to keep them safe. And let us not forget the every popular floppy wars held in offices everywhere. The good ole days...so glad they aren't around anymore.