1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The lethality of .22's

Discussion in 'Tilted Weaponry' started by ChrisJericho, Oct 5, 2011.

1. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Seriously.
    My camping gun when the kids were little was a Mossburg 500 with alternating double-ought shot and slugs.
    I know it wouldn't kill 1200 pounds of pissed off grizzly especially with me using it but it would slow the damned thing down enough for my family to get away and that's all that mattered.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

I previously posted this, but it's good story.

A friend of ours is a geologist, and she participated in field studies when she was in college. Their group was sent to a remote location, somewhere in Alaska IIRC, and they were provided with a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with slugs. One day they went out but someone forgot the shotgun. They encountered a large bear, and the three of them stood in a group and yelled and waved their arms. Fortunately it worked; the bear looked them over for a few seconds, and decided to move away. They never again forgot the shotgun.

• Like Like x 1
  3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

There's a long standing joke up here about the tourist who wants to go hiking and see the bears.
    The native tries to convince them that it's not a good idea but the tourist having seen one too many Disney movie insists.
    "Okay then, you'll need to sew these bells onto your clothes." the native says handing over a big box of tiny bells.
    "So this will keep me safe?"
    "No, but we'll be able to identify your remains from the bells in bear scat."

• Like Like x 1
  4. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Bill Burr had an interesting comment about having a .22

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGUu-Z8obRM
    Burr's prepared material was superb, from his hesitancy to get life insurance now that he's married, to his complaints about feminism to a moment he ignored a cop's order to stop his car to an extended bit about why a .22-caliber pistol is entirely sufficient for home protection. Even a BB gun would work, he said: "If I shoot you with a BB gun, at the very least you'll have to go outside to regroup."

5. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

For home defense I prefer handguns:

The .357, loaded with SJHPs, is my first choice and it's kept within very easy reach of our bed.
    The .38, loaded with +P SJHPs, is second.
    The .22 semi-atomatic, kept loaded 10+1, is third.
    --- merged: Feb 27, 2015 at 9:05 AM ---
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    I like this old joke:

A veteran hiking guide and a newbie hiker encounter a large bear.

"We can try running," suggests the guide.
    The newbie says, "I've heard running the worst thing that you can do."
    "Not if I outrun you," replies the guide.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2015
  6. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Resurrecting this fun debate is the obscure desire to have a backup gun and how modern ammunition has made the .22 Magnum nearly as effective as a .38 Spec JHP.

Hornady's Critical Defense and Speer's Gold Dot .22 Magnum "short barrel" ammo is designed for handguns and gives impressive results.

Major revolver manufacturers--Ruger and S&W--are making J-frame sized guns that can be effective pocket / backup guns.

Articles:

ActiveResponseTraining - What about the .22 Magnum?
    BreachBangClear - Holdout Revolvers from NAA