1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The Marginalization of Ron Paul (or How Media Plays Favorites)

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Derwood, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Whatever his policies are (and I dont agree with many of them, then again I dont have a chance to vote for or against him) in my opinion he is unelectable because he is too old and looks too old. He appears physically frail and however much you can say that image shouldnt matter and people care about policies not spin and marketing, it is impossible in a Western democracy for someone like that to be elected.

(He also is an idealist, and while I'd like to think its possible for an idealist to be elected, I cant think off the top of my head of an example of anyone who has been.)

2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

WB Strange Famous!

I think his foreign policy thoughts will do him in more then his appearance.

3. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

ronnie raygunz was older than dirt when he was first elected, then somehow re-elected, and he looked it; i don't think what a candidate looks like has anything to do with his electability...

although it does lend itself to the gullability of the american voter...

4. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I don't know Reagan looked younger to me. Maybe it was the jet black hair?

5. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

with shoe polish and a toothbrush, dutifully applied by his doting wife...

(is there an emoticon for "finger-down-the-throat gag?")

6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I don't see how she could be applying shoe polish to his head. Almost every time I saw them it looked like her hand was up his ass running his mouth for him. Must have been a "just in private" thing.

• Like Like x 2
  7. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I've said it before; I'll say it again: This is going to be the best presidential election in recent memory. It could well be the best in our lifetime.

I can't see how it could be dull. There is just so much potential that you don't even need a Palin surprise this round.

9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

May not need it but I wouldn't count out a Palin surprise. No one's paid much attention to her in the past 30 days or so. Her "media/attention whore" gene must be firing off hard.

10. Baraka_Guru

I didn't mean Palin specifically. I should have wrote: Palin-esque surprise. You know, a WTF kind of thing....

11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I see. You could be right. On other Palin news I see where a recent poll has her as the 6th (?) most admired woman in the US. Other countries must see stuff like that and just wonder how freaking crazy people in the US have become. I know folks here in Mexico think she's nuts.

12. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i read about him giving free healthcare in his book, and this ad demonstrates it.

also this video

i think the racist newsletters are blown way out of proportion.

13. redux

redux Very Tilted

It certainly hasnt been dull, with the anyone but Mitt movement coupled with who can be more extreme to appeal to the social conservatives. Hell, three of the candidates - Gingrich, Santorum and Bachmann - have said, in effect, that they will violate their oath of office and simply ignore any Supreme Court decision with which they disagree. So much for respecting the Constitution.

Romney is leading the latest poll in Iowa, Gingrich is tanking and Santorum is making a move into third place - the social conservative flavor of the week. That makes five different candidates leading in Iowa at one time or another.
    http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/12/28/topstate3.pdf

While Paul only trails Romney by a few points, he is the candidate that the highest percentage of Iowa Republican voters would not vote for under any circumstances.

Romney will run away with New Hampshire the week after Iowa, but the real test will come in South Carolina and Florida, the first states that comes close to reflecting the national demographic.

I would love to see it go to a broker convention, an unlikely outcome, but not totally out of the realm of possibility.

14. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

bachmann's campaign leader and iowa state senator just defected to the ron paul camp.

liberty is brewing...

15. redux

redux Very Tilted

Or just a whiff of Iowa corn moonshine. One tea party defection is hardly a brewery.

16. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Well there's bound to be tons of defections as the field narrows. That's the norm every election cycle. I still don't see Paul being the GOP's man at the dance hes counter to too many things to which they're attached.

17. Baraka_Guru

I suppose it depends on one's definition of liberty.

18. redux

redux Very Tilted

The right of individuals to "protect their property" and thus practice race-based discrimination in employment, housing, public accommodations (private businesses that offer services to the public)?

The right of businesses to pollute the environment and leave it to the courts to resolve?

The right of insurance companies to deny coverage to people with preexisting conditions?

19. Willravel

Willravel Getting Tilted

That's a good point. For me, liberty has as much to do with equality as anything, but Ron Paul would argue that I'm for limiting personal liberty. It's unfortunate that the libertarian worldview assumes a monopoly on liberty because of such a narrow definition.

20. redux

redux Very Tilted

Ron Paul continues to slam the Civil Rights Act:
    The Civil Rights Act, which prohibits raced based discrimination in housing, public education, employment, access to public accommodations... ----> PATRIOT Act? Now that's a stretch only a hardcore libertarian would make with a straight face.