1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics The Marginalization of Ron Paul (or How Media Plays Favorites)

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Derwood, Aug 16, 2011.

1. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

dont forget that other, base-line orientation for the libertarian right: union-busting.

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Right. They are a stripe of libertarian whose idea of egalitarianism runs only along the lines of natural rights.

3. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

mostly, they carry shit for the republicans, which view unions as such to be political enemies. right libertarian nonsense plays straight into that, valorizing an atomized powerlessness as freedom, substituting some static 30s delirium for actually existing capitalism...you know the drill.

4. dippin Getting Tilted

I should rephrase my post and say that I really don't understand why people fall for the demonization of the department of education. I would guess that part of it is the bait and switch argument of making it a state instead of federal issue, when in reality the effect of cutting the department of education is not that it will give more power to states, but that it will cut pell grants and assistance for special needs programs. "Let's cut the pell grant and assistance to special needs children" may be a politically unpopular position even within conservative circles, so the need to play around and pretend that this is about local control of education.

5. Baraka_Guru

In Canada (and in other nations, I'm sure), the federal government works in conjunction with the provincial governments in terms of loans and grants for post-secondary education. It's not a separate thing, but more of a partnership. The healthcare system works much in the same way.

I say this because it may help to know where I'm coming from. I guess I don't quite understand the American penchant for states operating with the least amount of federal help. ("States' rights!")

Canada was built with the intention of a strong central government, and our success has been derived from such a legacy. American history differs, yes, but America too was built with a strong central government. Separation of powers aside (it's a Canadian issue too), what's the problem with the federal government chipping in to help ensure access to education across the nation? It's called the United States of America, amiright?

TL;DR: I really don't understand either.

6. redux

redux Very Tilted

Forget the Dept of Education.

This is a guy who wants to return to a country that “protects” property rights (states should be able to legislate a right to discriminate) but not privacy rights (states should be able to legislate against sexual practices or orientation that dont meet their religious standards).

Back to the good ole days -- “whites only” establishments and only missionary position and only with one's spouse.

Good riddance to the old windbag.

7. Baraka_Guru

Yeah, my favourite libertarian remains Noam Chomsky.

All of them are pretty adorable though.

8. redux

redux Very Tilted

Such impure thoughts might be crime in Paul's America.

9. Baraka_Guru

Well, that's because Paul isn't a very good libertarian.

10. ASU2003

ASU2003 Very Tilted

Why can't the state universities oversee the pell grants? And special needs kids should be taken care of at the local and state level. Congress can get involved in passing the minimum requirements if thy want and see the need to.

I'm not sure how the student loan thing is handled in the Federal government since they took it away from the banks who were charging crazy fees and interest. But, I think the Treasury Dept could handle that.

11. dippin Getting Tilted

Good question. Why can't they? Because pell grants and federal assistance for special needs education weren't created because the states were doing such a great job of that. Now, is there a particular reason to handle either of these things at the state level as opposed to the federal one? Not to mention, of course, that many of these things are already administered at the state level, just funded by the federal government. Or is this just one of those situations where "states rights" is a roundabout way of cutting them without actually having to make the argument to cut them?

Handling everything off to the states doesn't solve budget deficits.

12. redux

redux Very Tilted

Ron Paul defends the recent secessionist movement expressed in the petitions to the White House.

One snippet
    Gee. I thought the presidential election expressed the "will of the people" and the "consent of the governed," along with additional Democratic seats in the House and Senate.

I guess the "will of the people" only matters if it reflects the opinions of the losers.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

Sometimes, MFs just gotta take their states and go home. Given Obama's Lincoln-boner, I bet deep down he's probably itching for some antsy state like Mississippi to make his day and secede.

14. Baraka_Guru

Libertarians are so cute.

Though Ron Paul has a long way to go before he's as cute as Noam Chomsky.