1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The Red Button [Redux]

Discussion in 'Found on the Net' started by Jetée, May 20, 2012.

1. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

There is a prediliction I have to share whatever may pertain to what is relevant now.
    I crawl through various archives and past discussions to mine what can be served for the greater community's knowledge.
    Therefore, just for the moment, I'll skip the introductory exposition, leave these few trails and links below for the enjoyment value I feel they contain; and also, I ask kindly that you, too, share what stories, articles and memories you have concerning that glossy and and-so-beckoning beacon of a button they call: "Big Red".

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=316AzLYfAzw

-- to note: I reserve the right to try as much as I might to steer this more toward a conversational/exchange-of-stories sort of thread; though, I do realise I shared this in Found on the Net, so a good measure of quick replies and witty banter I cannot help but feel also deserve their share within this topic. Please to (contribute).

2. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

An interesting conversation I've excerpted (from the Toyota Supra forums) from an initial, semi-related google search:

[​IMG]

3. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

The single-shot M136 AT4 munition uses a red paddle safety in conjunction with a red button to discharge its rocket-propelled anti-armor warhead. The AT-4 is extremely loud when discharged, the sights are fragile and is a real treat to strap on to your backpack or the side of your leg for a jump.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  4. Zweiblumen

Zweiblumen Slightly Tilted

Reminds me of a story I heard long time ago. A technician was feed up with people pressing every button so he installed a red button labeled "Press to Test". When the button was pressed a sign/label lit up that read "Release to detonate!"

5. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

The above elicited a good chuckle.

Thank you for the contributions, guys.

Here's something that has been languishing in my files for what could be two plus years now.

Coourage the Cowardly Dog: Dome of Doom (2002)
    Video_2010-07-31_182100__courage-in-dome-.wmv - DivShare (oh! there's the date right there.)

6. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    The control booth for the auditorium still had posters on the wall... (would you look at all those keys, and a felted red one!)

[SpiegelOnline.]

7. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

[​IMG]
    The New Hobbyist has rigged a Beethoven bust to double as a secret light
    switch a la Bruce Wayne.
    Included above is the video, final product, and the
    how-to instructions for crafting your very own iconic secret red button. Pow!

[technabob.]

8. Jetée

Jetée Getting titled

short story By Stormyflight (Arlington, OH, USA)

[teenink.]