1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The scale of the universe

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Oct 15, 2011.

• Like Like x 3
  1. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

It is always amazing to see these kind of things that show just where we are physically in the grand scope of God's creation.

2. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

The scale of some things are mind-boggling.

*sighhhh* To be able to travel the stars and see the wonders...

/who knew that giant earthworms were that big?

3. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

ahhhhh...complete insignificance...

• Like Like x 1
  4. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

That's very cool. Thanks. It seems like a good way to get insight into relative size of things. It reminds me of another one of my favorites but that just compares sizes of bodies in the solar system and then stars, but even the most humungous stars are just specks compared to galaxies and larger scale items as shown in this one.

5. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

The human mind can't really comprehend the absolute minuteness of our lives in terms our size and lifespan. Things like this help us remember that we are incredibly tiny, and only here for such a short amount of time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

i like to think that from thumping our chests, worshipping combustion, and passing around women like a hackeysack to reproduce, we've accomplished so much. now that we've observed all of that, it's only a matter of time until we can start doing stuff with it all

7. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

I particularly like the "You can't see past that line!"

• Like Like x 2
  8. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

Sure, but right now I'm imagining being on the outer edges of the expanding universe and then later I'll think about going back in time, and then into the future. Such is the mind...it's very mental ;)

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

It's big alright

10. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

Loving this website.

11. Eddie Getting Tilted

Why does the website say that the universe is 14billion years old? It's not like anyone knows how old the universe is, so that statement seems quite ridiculous.

12. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_the_universe

13. Eddie Getting Tilted

14. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

does that mean if I sneeze the wrong way, the universe could not be affected?

15. How's this Eddie: http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/age.html
    Just because it's in Wiki, doesn't make it worthless. I garnered this from the list of references listed in that Wiki entry. It's called science... and reading.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

This is all I need.

[​IMG]

Thanks, Craven, for also inspiring me to go look up the giant earthworm. That kind of made my day.

One more thought: this perspective, of how much there is out there—how much we can't even comprehend—on top of everything we can see, feel and experience on a human level, is the foundation of my spiritual faith, as it were.

...for what it's worth.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Eddie Getting Tilted

We can't see everything that's out there. We can only see to a certain point. So why declare the universe to be a certain age when the fact is nobody has any idea the full scope of the unknown? Typical arrogance of man.

18. What we can see is the limit from which light has had the time to reach us. That defines the limit of time, not the size of the universe.

19. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

There's more arrogance in ignorance, I've found.

• Like Like x 1