1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The scale of the universe

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Oct 15, 2011.

1. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

-+-{Important TFP Staff Message}-+-

To make this quick, here is what is not allowed: trolling, flaming, harassing, spamming, site plugging, advertising, advocacy (charities, polls, causes), immaturity (except in nonsense), images of minors (under 18), shocking images (gore, scat), other people's personal information, sexual advances without consent, and being an annoying asshole in general.

2. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Can you see, Eddie?
    Do you understand all the reasons why you can see, Eddie?
    If you do, did you discover the knowledge all on your own, Eddie?
    if you were blind and presented with a cure for your blindness, would you be grateful for the theories of others that have led to a full understanding of how your vision works, Eddie?

No one has stated the age of the universe as "fact" - only as accepted scientific theory.
    Estimation based on known and available data is not foolish. Scientific theory is a precursor to scientific fact.

3. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

ah. eddie, eddie, eddie. why not just come clean and make the next step? human understanding has to be held to some absurd standard that amounts to total knowledge in order to say anything about anything. so humans can't say anything about anything.

therefore god.

because what's clearly working under the surface of your absurd claims is some half-baked creationist "critique" of scientific theory.

therefore god.

c'mon bud. i know you want to.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eddie Getting Tilted

From the website this thread refers to: "The universe is 14,000,000,000 years old."
    That's a statement of fact. Also, if you refer to my first post in this thread, that was the point I was trying to make. But if the admin wants to accuse me of trolling, whatever, lol.
    --- merged: Oct 25, 2011 6:42 PM ---
    I don't know if I can continue this conversation. I might get called out for trolling by the admin again.

5. Joniemack

Most of us regard that sort of assertion for what it is - accepted scientific theory. Only you see it through a strictly true or false perspective.

6. the_jazz

Let me give you a hint, Eddie. It's the staff opinion that counts. Numerous people clearly agree with my assessment. I'm confident in calling you a troll because the argument, as you've made it, has clearly been designed to draw the ire of your supposed opponent upon you. It's almost a textbook definition. It would be one thing if you'd have let it go or explained your standpoint, but you dug your heels in and turned this into another one of your bid to "score points". As I've told you before, the membership looks very unkindly on that sort of thing.

Now, if you look back to your very first comment and look at the page you referred to, you'll notice that above the comment about "the universe", it discusses the "observable universe". Clearly they meant the same thing since the very next page discusses the estimated size of the actual universe. So this whole thing started because of your own failure to understand what you were reading.

7. Eddie Getting Tilted

The website made the statement: "The universe is 14,000,000,000 years old." I posted about that statement. I did explain my standpoint, at length. And then you accused me of trolling.

By the way, the "score points" thing was a joke with Baraka. Sorry if you have no sense of humor.

8. Remixer

Remixer Middle Eastern Doofus

All this talk about Eddie made me think of a scene in Eddie Murphy's Raw (don't ask me where that came from):

9. Joniemack

This thread was not contentious prior to your arrival in it. I take responsibility for my own behavior in rising to your bait but would have preferred to continue an intelligent discussion about the theory.

Rather than a petulant attempt at excusing your behavior, what's wrong with consenting to participate in the discussions intelligently?
    That is, if you are actually interested in hanging around here.

If you're not, maybe you should politely bow out now and save yourself the embarrassment of being banned from yet another site.

10. the_jazz

Sorry if you're not able to see that your posting style is pissing people off and creating more work for those of us that have to deal with the complaints.

Perhaps you to check with Baraka_Guru if he thinks you're joking or not. He is a moderator, after all, and part of the staff.

And, again, you're clearly not familiar with me here at TFP. Or, apparently, with how TFP works in general. Maybe you want to pause before your next snarky remark and do just a smidge of research. It might make things go just a touch easier for you here.

Then again, I'm way overdue for booting someone with the entitlement chip on their shoulder. Maybe you want to check on how well I suffer folks that can't get along with everyone else.

11. Eddie Getting Tilted

Deal with the complaints? Is there a lot of paperwork involved in that?

12. the_jazz

Are numerous PM's complaining about you in this thread considered paperwork? Then yes.

Maybe you don't want to be a member of TFP any more and want to go out in a blaze of glory. Just let me know so I can set you on fire.

13. Joniemack

How many nails you got for your coffin, Eddie? :D

14. Eddie Getting Tilted

If I didn't want to be a member then I wouldn't have signed up and I wouldn't be contributing to the discussions. And don't blame me because you have a bunch of petty snitches on this board. If adults can't handle their own business without running to mommy admin then that's just sad. Nothing I've said in this thread has been the least bit personal or insulting. Rather I am the target of personal attacks. But I'm not gonna go pm'ing the mod because some liberal wants to vent on me. I'll just ignore the person and move on with my life. Seriously people...grow the fuck up.

I could see an admin coming down on me if I was attacking people and getting personal but this is just petty bullshit.

15. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

You're not 'contributing' to this discussion. More like sticking you fingers in your ears while mumbling 'la la la' at everyone else. It's quite clear what folks mean by 'the universe' as well as it's age and size but, rather than show even a twinkling of understanding when they lay it out for you, you complain some more about 'unknown unknowns' as if it's some sort of trump card that ends the discussion and proves the whole effort futile. It doesn't and it's perfectly unreasonable to assume that it does.

16. the_jazz

No, this is you derailing a thread that's essentially "hey, this is cool" because you misread one line on one page. That's not a problem - we've all done it, but mature people admit when they've made a mistake. You're trolling the thread. People see what you're doing and don't like it. It would be one thing if you were trying to turn this into an actual discussion about theories and their veracity, but you're throwing one-liners and failing miserably to clearly and concisely state your opinion.

And I blame you because you're the problem, not the people complaining. Folks are complaining because you aren't living up to the community's standard for behavior. We have long-time conservative members here that are able to get along very well with everyone else. So blaming the issue on politics is a strawman. To state that everyone else is acting childishly when we've got folks active in this thread that have been a part of TFP for 10+ years tells me that you're the one who doesn't get it.

As for personal attacks - where? I haven't seen a single one, and I (don't) get paid to look for stuff like that.
    This is now the end of this threadjack. All further discussions of Eddie or anything not included in the OP will be deleted.

17. Eddie Getting Tilted

la la la la la la
    --- merged: Oct 25, 2011 7:58 PM ---
    I commented about something the website said. People lost their shit and starting calling me a troll. wtf, seriously?

18. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

This is slightly off topic, but the other night I was out looking at the stars, the Little Dipper in particular, and I was wondering if our star made up a constellation from some other race's perspective, and what it might look like.

If I recall correctly, the closest star besides ours is Alpha Centauri, but in the bigger picture, are they part of a bigger picture together?
    How far out have our probes taken photos, and do they take them facing back towards the Sun and Earth?

I hope you can get the gist of what I'm asking, 'cause it doesn't feel like I'm articulating it well.

I just hope it's not a replica of Glory's Sun 's avatar.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

That site reminds me of another site that had you zooming in on fractals, very trippy. I find our smallness in the universe to be humbling. It puts a lot of the crap we worry about into a better perspective. It's all small taters to the universe, even if it seems big to us.

20. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

That defines the limit of time we can see. Special arrogance will define how we perceive more. I hope it grows even bigger.