1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The scale of the universe

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I rather like the observable universe. More than an observable mouthful is a waste.

Yes, I have small breasts.

• Like Like x 3
  2. MSD

MSD Very Tilted

Physical proximity to other stars doesn't make much difference, it's all about relative position and apparent brightness. The seven stars of Canis Major, for example, range in distance from the Earth from 336+/-20 light years away to roughly 3000.

3. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

So, our star might not even show up vs the brighter stars out there, eh? That makes me a sad stargazer.

Thanks for the new perspective, though, MSD.

4. It's ironic that the same people maintaining "no child left behind" have to explain to children why Pluto didn't get a social promotion.

universe > Pluto

5. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

...at least the universe has never threatened to damn me, beyond death. Tidy concepts are useful on limited scales.

6. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

So how much larger has the Universe gotten since this thread was first posted?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ourcrazymodern?

Ourcrazymodern? still, wondering

c x 22 days + what we can't see, yet? Larger enough to humble, I think.

8. greywolf

greywolf Slightly Tilted

I travelled to Sherbrook, Quebec on the weekend, passing through Houlton, Maine (the northern terminus of I-95). I stopped at a tourist information centre there and observed a small, 25 centish sized ball with a smaller ball about 6 inches away from it. It was a scale model of Pluto and Charon, part of the largest scale model in the world, a 1:93,000,000 model of the solar system. The sun is a 2-story arc of metal at the University of Presque Isle, 40 MILES AWAY!! All the planets are shown at the appropriate distance from the sun (the earth, of course, is a mile away since we're 93,000,000 miles from the sun), and to the appropriate scale.

I thought this was a very neat way of showing just how frighteningly huge the universe is, given this 40 miles represents only a few light-hours of distance in a space that is almost 40-billion light years across. Someday I may go back and just check out the other models.

• Like Like x 7
  9. ^ that is very cool

10. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

On the Guardian podcast Science Weekly, I just heard theoretical physicist Lawrence M. Krass speak about the size and age of the universe, and how we're more insignificant than we imagine and the future is bleak. He put into terms how the "wheels" of the universe "spin" and how we should be grateful for such things as supernovas, as they made it possible for us to have the atomic realities we have.

It's astounding how he put it. He said you could consider your right hand consisting of atoms coming from a different supernova than the atoms of your left hand. It's an oversimplification, as I'm sure it's far, far more mixed than that, but it does get you to think about how your being consists of far-scattered "stardust" and how your individual existence is such a rare event.

But that's just it. Rare events happen all the time in the universe. That's how big and old it is. Supernovas happen all the time.

Favourite quotation: "Forget Jesus; it was stars that gave their lives for us to exist." (Probably a bit of a paraphrase)

Listen to the podcast here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/audio/2011/oct/31/science-weekly-podcast-seven-billion

• Like Like x 3
  11. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

This is the coolest thing I've seen online in a while.

• Like Like x 4
  12. lotsofmagnets

lotsofmagnets Vertical

i came across the scale-of-the-universe animation a few weeks ago and i was quite intrigued by it. actuallym, i do like the music in it as it suits the subject imo. a point of interest for me was the huge void between neutrinos and the planck length. actually, all the way up to atomic particles is very scant and this is a pretty powerful demonstration of just how little we know at the atomic level or lower. it´s a bit odd that we can grasp large sizes (as much as scale is impossible to comprehend as we have no visible comparison for the stupendously large scale of the observable universe we still understand what is out there but going the other way we really seem to have no idea what´s going on at the very small level. to top it off it seems that the technology to magnify small items appears to have all but stagnated as we still can´t "see" an atom. just my 2isk

• Like Like x 1
  13. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

I like this one, too: Powers of Ten:

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  14. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

You know, at least on a Macrocosmic scale, I've just got a feeling that we are "seeing" just the tip of the iceberg.

That we only know what we do by our own tools...and they have limits and current limitations of what we know of physics.

For many reasons I don't want to get into or bore you with,
    I truly do think we are either on the crest of a wave moving outward, just like one on a pond when you drop a pebble in it.
    Or on the edge of a bubble expanding rapidly.
    And we are just one of many "bubbles" in the Ultimate Spa... (gives a whole new meaning to the word, Multiverse)

Something just exploding out of nowhere and going nowhere, just seems too easy.
    And we humans are notorious for over-simplifying.

Just like when the World was flat.
    Or the Earth was the center of the Universe...

Every time I turn around, there's a new twist...a new complexity to this dynamic elegance we have as our environ.

----------

And on the Microcosmic scale...well, that's something I'm trying to prove.
    Except that I doubt it's a just a string hanging out...here & there. Or a "foam"

Maybe take that "string" and make a weave of it like of the quantum foam graphic,
    except the graphic...it's not as uniform or consistent...a bit more twisted...and it's in 3D...at least in a spatial context.
    Like the Ultimate Gordian Knot...
    (The 3 Fates would be proud of you ;))

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
    • Like Like x 2