1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food the service industry, "if you dont like it then..."

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Strange Famous, May 2, 2012.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

If you read the story the server was a Marine who saw active duty in the Middle East. Bet that family was all for her "saving them from those evil Godless brown people."

2. Funkylamb

Funkylamb New Member

No more Auto Grats...

The IRS is reclassifying automatic gratuities as taxable wages that the employer must pay payroll tax on. They will no longer have to be reported by the employee.​
    Businesses will no longer continue to add the automatic gratuity since they will have to pay taxes on the charge instead of the employee.​
    Most restaurants here in New Orleans have discontinued the policy.​

• Like Like x 1
  3. And once again the IRS mucks up a perfectly workable system. Thanks guys, really.

...and is anybody surprised that, just like literally every single other recent instance of the "hateful kiss-off tip receipt," this one turned out to be a scam? By a person described by acquaintances and friends as a pathalogical liar- including lying about her service record AND donating her proceeds to Wounded Warrior, no less? Come to think of it, I've never heard of a single one of these that turned out to be true. The whole "religous/political tract tipping" thing, however, happens far too frequently.

4. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Well, whatever. Somebody wants attention, obviously.

When I go to a sit-down restaurant, my minimum tip is eight bucks. Even if the meal cost $5.50.

5. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

Just out of curiosity, how did you arrive at that specific number?

6. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Maybe it's because I'm Canadian, but I find that ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Street Pattern

(1) In Mexico in 1968, the tipping instructions in tourist guides said, "never tip less than a peso." A peso at the time was eight U.S. cents. I took that number and arbitrarily multiplied it by 100.

(2) In Chinese numerology, eight is a very positive number. Notice that almost every Chinese restaurant phone number has 8's in it? (The one down the street has a number ending in '888'.) I frequently eat in Chinese restaurants. An eight-dollar tip is a culturally sensitive way to wish the server well.

Maybe in Canada, restaurant servers are paid adequately. Here in the U.S., they get $2.13/hour, and are assumed to make up the rest in tips. That might work in expensive restaurants, but not elsewhere.

If a waiter works 2000 hours per year, that comes to $4260. If he or she gets an equal amount in tips, that is only $8520. And customers in low-price restaurants tip very little, if at all.

Imagine being a single parent trying to get by on that. Gack.

Around here, rent on a minimal apartment would be around $800/month, or almost $10,000/year.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I think he was commenting on the amount, which seems arbitrary.

For example, if everyone tipped $8+ regardless of the orders, a server would only have to serve five paying customers over an eight-hour shift to make minimum wage.

Another example: If everyone tipped $8+ regardless of the orders, a server serving an average of five paying customers an hour would, over an eight-hour shift, earn over $42 an hour.

9. Street Pattern

How likely is that? Who else do you know who tips the way I do?

Note that the $2.13 minimum has not been raised in more than 20 years. Restaurant servers are doing steadily worse every year. Or, to put it differently, they are more and more dependent on the kindness of strangers.

10. Baraka_Guru

I find it curious myself. Are you trying to make up for cheapskates who tip less than 15%?

Someone took your order and brought you a meal that costs $5.50. They don't own and operate the facilities to make it. They didn't buy the materials to make it. They didn't make it. They might not even clean up after it besides removing your dishes. Instead of tipping them a standard around $0.83 (let's say $1), you instead want to buy them a meal and have almost enough change left over to take the bus home.

It's like you're paying for date...but without the pleasure of the company.

I do find that curious. I mean, $8 would be different on a table with eight people ordering the same kind of thing.

11. Street Pattern

How about the large percentage (in low-price restaurants) who tip nothing?

Right -- the $5.50 is entirely irrelevant to how much work they did. So why calculate the tip based on that?

How about paying for rent and day care and feeding children? You make it sound like the server is at the restaurant to have fun.

Due to deliberate government policy, a restaurant server's ability to make enough to live on is left to me and other restaurant patrons. A typical full-time minimum wage worker works much, much harder than most people I know, and makes about $14,000/year. I personally make more than seven times as much. The difference between $8 and $1 (in your example) means a lot more to the server than it does to me.

12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Some states actually do pay servers minimum wage. Oregon is one of them. However, I still tip well.

13. Baraka_Guru

So, yes?

You're asking the wrong guy. I think servers should be paid a livable wage. Tips should be considered bonuses, not core earnings.

You're talking to a former busboy. (I didn't get any tips at all.) Nothing I said suggested the server is at the restaurant for fun.

I make just over twice as much, but I live in one of the most expensive cities in North America. (My monthly rent for a modest two-bedroom apartment is $1,600.) "Liquor servers" around here, though, make at least $8.90 per hour plus tips. Otherwise, the minimum wage is $10.25 per hour.

So I agree that government policy is an issue. I support changes to the minimum wage structure in the U.S. to ensure servers (and other low-wage earners) can actually afford things like rent and food.

• Like Like x 1
  14. snowy

The latest controversy in tipping in the service industry: Marriott's New Envelope For Room Tips Stirs Debate : The Two-Way : NPR

Personally, I was raised that if you stay at a nice hotel, you tip. Usually, over a multiday stay, there will be something your housekeeper does that merits it, and they should be rewarded. My mother thought they deserved it just for cleaning up after us; I don't disagree. When I met my husband, I was shocked that he didn't know to tip at finer hotels.

15. Charlatan

I have stayed in many fine hotels. You really don't need to tip.

Americans tip way too much.

16. snowy

It's because our wages suck.

17. Charlatan

It still feels like it's more than just that.

Taxi drivers, hairdressers, food service, bartenders, bag carriers, room cleaners, baristas etc.

A short list. It just seems to me that you have to tip everyone who provides a service, regardless of the level of their wage.

18. Baraka_Guru

After conducting a few cursory Google searches, I doubt many housekeeping employees working for Marriott make over $10 an hour.

Ontario's minimum wage is now $11 an hour.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  19. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

for hotels, I typically tip the maid $1 per day of stay. I never even thought of this until a few years ago my asked if I left something for the maid. That confused me as I ran through my mental list of used cups, dirty towels etc. Some people ask what does it get me ? Maybe it's just a polite acknowledgement for services rendered.

I never ask for my luggage to be carried to the room as I rarely have cash on hand. I also self serve to taxis and don't approach the concierge. Again because I use my credit card for practically all purchases and what little cash I do carry tends to be for emergency situations where I can't make a food or transit purchase by card.

Yes, Americans (and Canadians) are expected to tip waaaaay too much. It was a relief to spend some time in the UK this summer and not be expected to tip (much). Although the almost 2X cost for EVERYTHING more than made up for that!
    --- merged: Sep 18, 2014 12:23 PM ---

$2.13??? what the hell is that about? Are you saying that this is consistent across all the states? That min wage is controlled federally? Who would work for that? (a lot of people obviously - judging from the number of servers in the last Steak & Shake I went to) No wonder they depend on tips.

As BG said, minimum wage here in Ontario just increased to $11/hr but it is controlled provincially, not federally. Also, I think the food service industry has a lower scale because of the tipping involved. Oh here's a chart for Ontario from

Minimum Wage | Ministry of Labour :

Current Wage Rates as of June 1, 2014

General Minimum Wage $11.00 per hour
    Student Minimum Wage $10.30 per hour
    Liquor Servers Minimum Wage $9.55 per hour
    Hunting and Fishing Guides Minimum Wage $55.00 Rate for working less than five consecutive hours in a day
    $110.00 Rate for working five or more hours in a day whether or not the hours are consecutive
    Homeworkers Wage $12.10 per hour

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  20. snowy

No, it is not consistent across the states. About half of states have exemptions for restaurant workers called the tipped minimum wage; the idea is that they will make up the difference towards minimum wage (or get over minimum wage) via tips. Servers are supposed to keep track of it, and if they don't hit minimum wage, the restaurant is supposed to compensate them accordingly. Here's a decent HuffPo piece that explains some of how it works: Minimum Wage For Restaurant Servers Remains Stagnant For 20 Years Under Industry Lobbying

As the article points out, some states do not have a tipped minimum wage. Oregon doesn't, and neither does Washington; we're two of the highest minimum wage states in the United States. We're also two states where services are a primary industry; in Oregon, the food service industry is one of the largest general categories of employment. It doesn't seem to be hurting us any, and in fact, that sector of our economy grew during the Great Recession, so what gives? If a small state like mine can do it, why can't larger ones? Servers here make $9.10/hr. Some quick Googling reveals that due to cost of living, Oregon workers living in urban areas are closer to a living wage than Ontario workers living in urban areas.