1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food the service industry, "if you dont like it then..."

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Strange Famous, May 2, 2012.

1. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

Yeah, it's hard for me to agree with ANY type of tipping. To add a 17% gratuity for party size to me is just an admin fee, so view it like that: "oh boy , I have to work harder to do the job that I signed up for - so I better build in a bonus, regardless of how my service is executed". This is just a restaurant's cash grab. If the same number of people sat at several separate tables, there would be no 17% price increase.

And, no offense to any hospitality employees here (and I've done my share of busing, waiting and dishwashing) but the job is what it is.
    --- merged: Nov 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM ---

Recently I've been told that 20% gratuity is the going rate these days. Something I find astounding on account that 15% is onerous already. I better go back to church and say a few prayers.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

In the US and Canada I tip a pretty constant 15%. I wouldn't say I always work it out but I at least rough the number in my head. Here people like wait staff are paid so crappy and meals are so cheap I tip 25%+ on occasion. I always do if we like the place and eat there often (no idea why we'd eat often at a place we didn't like) I find when I return to a regular restaurant we are treated very well. A recent trip to our favorite Italian place and the owner comp'ed us a bottle of wine he brought back from his most recent trip to Rome. We called one night to a local pizza place and "M" ordered a pizza for delivery and I heard her say, in Spanish, "Oh, we were just in last week and ordered this same pizza. I didn't know you don't allow changes... what? Yes this is _______ and _________. Ok, yes, great thanks. We really appreciate you too." Once they knew it was us they were happy to make a special pizza to our liking.

I think it's pointed out in an article above- if you just visit some random place and think a big tip will pay off you're fooling yourself. I think you should still tip a decent amount and I do. But for places I frequent I tip well and I get treated well. Of course tipping well here often means 10-20 bucks... so I'm still a cheap bastard. The heavy set black lady who bar tends at the United Club in Houston knows my name and how I like my drink, I see her about six times a year. But my lay over in Houston is often 8 hours. I routinely leave her a fifty. She mentioned her sister just had a kid one holiday season and I left her a "C" note. The drinks are free and if I sat in the sports bar I'd spend fifty on drinks easy.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  3. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

They're little comics that are RIDICULOUSLY fundamentalist. You can read 'em online here. My favorite is the Dungeons & Dragons one, but I never got one as a tip, and I refuse to give these people money.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I can't help but think that the equal response to those who leave tracts is to show up at their church, take in a good long sermon, and leave a set of McDonald's coupons you've received in the mail with a note attached: "A tithe is one-tenth of something, often the portion of one's income given to a church. What better tithe is there than a 10% discount on a meal provided by the grace of God?"

• Like Like x 1
  5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Awesome idea.

6. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

But you'd have to sit through a sermon. Not a total win.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Baraka_Guru

Sometimes you have to make personal sacrifices to help others.

8. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Actually, from the one church I have been to in the last 40 years, they don't usually wait until the end to pass around the tithing platters. 1/3-halfway through. You can skip out early.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Leto

Leto Slightly Tilted

I love it when a plan comes together....

10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Too many "Yay, thou..." and "for thou art..." BS to make it worth my time.
    --- merged: Nov 13, 2013 at 1:22 PM ---
    I've yet to see a church without a donation box. If I were a server and got a fake ten spot and knew what church it came from I make a fake check on a printer.. a very old printer (now days printer can be easily tracked by the FBI) I'd "donate" a "check" in an envelope.

Pay to the order of the member of this church who left this tip for me- 1,ooo bitch slaps. In the memo note I'd write "BTW- (probably would need to write out "By the Way") before enclosing this tithe I wiped this check on the ass my heroin addicted, gay lover. You might want to wash your hands and probably get tested.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2013
  11. Baraka_Guru

See that's not my style though. I'd want to present them with misplaced or poorly contextual goodwill, because that's what they've done themselves.

If not the coupon thing, I'd drop one of the following in the tray:

A certificate indicating a donation (in the church's name) to one (or all) of the following organizations:
    • The Gay & Lesbian Leadership Institute
    • NARAL Pro-Choice America
    • The National Centre for Science Education (NCSE)
    • Planned Parenthood
    I would include a note about the importance of charity, especially when it comes those who seek truth and justice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I can get a little vindictive I guess if I feel I've been cheated. A Chevy dealer in Salem once sold me a new 4X4 extended cab and I didn't make it home before the a piston rod blew through the block. I had it towed back, at my cost. They stated they wanted to send it to Portland so the main dealership could have the see "what went wrong." I told them do whatever you want but give me back my check. "Oh, no we can't do that." I bought it on a Weds. around noon and they told me the check had already "left the building." We more or less went to war. I ended up taking out ads in several local newspapers exclaiming "Salem Chevy Ripped Me Off, buyer beware!" They threaten to sue. I lawyered up. The main newspaper stop letting me place ads (they had been doing business with the dealer for a long time, I didn't blame them.) Several smaller publications still took my ads and I had signs printed (1,000) and paid a kid to post them everywhere. After a month they gave me my money back through my attorney. They wanted me to sign a agreement that I would not publicly speak or post notice of the issue. I agreed I wouldn't if they paid my legal costs. They didn't so I had another 1000 signs made up.

13. arkana

arkana Very Tilted

14. CinnamonGirl

Of course, if you're actually a server, and actually want to keep your job...you just smile and take it.

15. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

That doesn't mean I can't take down their plate number and find out where they live...

16. CinnamonGirl

*snort* Well, yes, there's always that. Most of the places I work, though, it would be obvious that's what you were doing.

17. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

You have to go nija on them and have rock solid alibis. With big innocent looking eyes like yours telling people "I just have no idea why their (brakes stopped working, house blew up.) I know nothing about cars/gas lines." Or "Really their credit was destroyed when their card number and pin was sold on-line to a guy in Mexico who sold it to a group in the Ukraine, wow that's bad, hope they'll be able to work it out." Pro tip- don't mention anything the officers don't mention to you first. And make sure you're on the video at the local watering hole then "it" happens, you'll be fine. If not I'll send you bail money.

18. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

Chick Tracts

I was going to post one here, but the Chick websites are all banned in Singapore.

19. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

20. Baraka_Guru

Could you imagine?

"We cannot serve you because we do not agree with your Christian values."

• Like Like x 1