1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The TFP Health Club

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Mister Coaster, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I'm a dude who lifts more than 95% of the other guys at the gym, by a wide margin. I get comments every time I bench or squat, hopefully not for the reason the lovely lady in the picture is getting comments (and shame on us for thinking it). It's weird squatting over 400 lbs and looking in the mirror to see a room full of guys gawking. I try not to look in the mirror.

Also, if I lose weight, I get hit on by certain kinds of dudes. Don't want the attention. Was hoping that all this gray hair, and my bulldog face would stop that from happening. It's just increased the mean age of the dudes hitting on me. I am not a power-bear, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

So... it's a tough life being sexy?

Got it.

/continues lifting heavy

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

^^^ hahahaha. I reckon so

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I was just thinking about this thread while I worked through my routine, wondering if I'd be replying to myself again. I did it in the morning instead of the afternoon today, just as a change of pace.

I'm thinking about doing yoga again. There's no point in signing up for classes when I'm going to be moving soon I think, but post-move I'll look into it.

6. Baraka_Guru

On the topic of new gear, I picked up my Muay Thai sparring vest last night (pictured below in red, but I have the blue).

[​IMG]

This along with my shin guards, and I'm ready for the sparring-like training we'll be doing at green rank in Muay Thai.

If I get into hapkido sparring soon, I'll have what I need once I get headgear and a mouthguard.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I am feeling the siren call of kendo again. I just found out that a new dojo has opened closer to my house.

• Like Like x 2
  8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

When my neck is all healed, my first order of business is signing up for a martial art, and I am thinking kendo.

9. Baraka_Guru

I finished the Spartan Super Race yesterday. It was 15+ km (about 9 or 10 miles) and around 20 obstacles. The killer part though was the fact that it was at a ski resort. We went up and down seven ski hills. That was the first two thirds of the course. The rest was through the woods and a lot of mud.

Oh, and it was a day after a heat wave hit. The night before didn't drop below 30 C (86 F), and race day got up to 40 C (104F) with humidex. It was sunny all day. There were storm warnings, but we were spared.

The good: Apparently I'm pretty good at spear throwing.
    The bad: My grip strength sucks, and I need to work on my upper body strength.
    The ugly: This was my first race, like ever (I don't like running). I will be more prepared next time when it comes to gear and supplies. I underestimated my need for carbs/electrolytes.

My hips ache. Those hills were fricking killer. My quads are toast. I'll probably feel them a lot worse tomorrow. Probably my glutes, traps, upper back too.

No injuries, and I finished. Those were my two goals.

Looking ahead, I now know what I need to do to get into better shape (in general).

But for now: Tomorrow at noon I have a 1-hour massage with a therapist who has a reputation for "killing" her clients. I will probably need it.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Baraka_Guru

Now that I've had a massage and I've been able to reflect on things post–Spartan Race, I now have a new goal: yoga and resistance training three days a week to correct some imbalances in strength and flexibility in my legs and back.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

It's two days after my last boot camp session... Ouch.

My body is reacting:
    - I am tired
    - Muscles I haven't thought about in years (if ever) are sore
    - My desire to drink alcohol has diminished

I went for a short run this morning and it took some of the immediate stiffness away, but the exhaustion is quite present.

• Like Like x 1
  12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Made it back to the gym this morning. I only rode the recumbent for about 20 minutes, but I consider that a win after six weeks away.

The particulate in the air right now makes it hard to breathe, so I'm probably going to urgent care this afternoon to get an inhaler. Sigh.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Finally set up my new home gym Saturday night, so Sunday I did a full body workout squatting, benching, overhead pressing, rows, etc. My bench works for me, I did 315# for 8 reps, a tie for personal best. So I worked out again Tuesday AAAAAAANNNNNNDDDD pulled a muscle in my upper back. Oh well, ibuprofen and ice, ftw.

14. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

My knee is still pretty messed up. I'm starting to feel anxiety about my lack of exercise. I keep having to stop and remind myself that I did get hit by a car, and even if it wasn't going very fast that's still a reasonable excuse to take it easy for a few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I've lost at least* 20 pounds recently, and I've noticed that I'm starting to get cold at work, at restaurants, in stores, etc. It's kind of awesome, but this is also a sign that I'm not going to be able to get away with a light jacket this winter.

* I say "at least" because I didn't have a scale until 20 pounds ago, and I'm fairly certain I'd already dropped at least a few before buying one.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

After a weekend getaway for our 4th anniversary, which included hot tubs and full body massages, I got back to my home gym last night. Bench pressed 315# for 10 reps. This has been a goal of mine for a couple of decades. I guess I can retire now.
    --- merged: Aug 11, 2015 12:13 PM ---
    By all means take it easy, then take it slow when getting back to it. Never let your ego get the best of you.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Full body workout tonight. Squats ended several sets with 405# for 5 reps, and benched 320# for 9. Bunch of other stuff, then slow roasted pork over rice with broccoli and carrots. (McDonald's fudge sundae later, but don't tell my wife)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I went with the paleo diet (not strict at all) about a month ago. Gave up everything I love and started to lose weight. I'm down about 18 pounds since I changed my diet.

It sucks but I feel a lot better. Been doing cardo until I get to my goal weight, then I'll start doing strength straining.

On a site note: I hate drinking water.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I also do paleo/low carb, and not strict at all. I try to hit about 80% compliance, but I won't give up dairy. I eat mostly meat, fish, and green veggies. I don't much care for chicken. No sugar. Rarely eat grains (whole or not) except for occasionally oatmeal or a tortilla. Potatoes on rare occasions, usually away from home when they can't be avoided.:oops:

I don't do cardio at all, tho I do a lot of walking and stair climbing. And stair descending, which is great for the glutes and leg muscles. Stair machines won't let you go down the stairs.:(

I've done different controlled carb variations for almost ten years now. I don't have a formal exercise "plan" but most days I weigh in at a couple pounds less than I did in high school 20 years ago, so something must be working.:)

20. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

If you need some replacement ideas or those foods you love, lemme know. Paleo Takeout even has General Tso Chicken. And I have a patisserie boom that's solid paleo, too :)