1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The TFP Health Club

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Mister Coaster, Dec 9, 2011.

1. omega

omega Very Tilted

Yeah. They aren't that great. Aside from the lack of variety they present, they also throw off your form. Studies have shown that when you run on a treadmill, your foot is in contact with the belt much longer than when you run on a stationary surface, because your balance has to compensate for the movement of the belt.

2. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

The gym I was interested in (and Eden's current gym) had an open house for the new location last night. It's really nice (with all new stuff!) My favorite part is the indoor track on the second floor--no worrying about weather when I want to run. Sooo, looks like I'll be joining up tonight.

I'm still vaguely considering re-joining the Y as well, so I can use the pool...but I don't know how realistic that would be. New gym has no pool, but all the other stuff I want. The Y has a pool, and early morning classes, but the weight room is lame. I suppose I could swim in the mornings and do other cardio/weights at the new place, but...hmmm. May not be worth the extra cash.

Anyway, gym within walking distance of our house! Huzzah!

• Like Like x 1
  3. CinnamonGirl

I just jogged a mile without stopping. Which sounds kinda lame, I know...but I haven't run at all since July 4th, so I'm feeling pretty awesome right now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

Had a trainer write me up a new workout that values harder reps over weights. My arms HURT. Last set was diamond push-ups and I literally crashed to the floor. My body is going to hate me in the morning.

I love it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

You guys are animals! Keep it up.

Next time we hang out, it'll be like the casting call for the first Predator movie!

...I'm Hawkins.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Cardio sucks since leaving the gym. Gotta buy a stationary bike.

I hate to say it, but I'm fatter, but damn have my lifts been solid. Haven't missed benching 315 for 10 in a while. Squats are good, but my body is telling me to back off and let my joints heal. So some cardio and light weights for a while. ( I hate light weights ).

I may just try some body building and get buff, instead of old-man diesel...

• Like Like x 1
  7. omega

omega Very Tilted

Sometimes it's painful watching people lift at the gym. I'm on one squat rack. Guy next to me loads up 315. I'm thinking maybe he's a former athlete because he looks fit but not ready to squat that. I needn't worry, because he proceeds to do a few half squats, or football squats. Then he loads the bar to 365 and does two quarter squats. I wanted to count each rep out loud "zero, zero, zero".
    My highlight was squatting more than I can bench today. I did 225x8, then 235x8x2. Not much, but I'm building back slowly.
    Btw, a proper squat ahould at least be to the point where your femur is parallel to the floor or at least til your hamstrings and calves are touching.

8. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Full squats are the measure of a man ( or woman). Not necessarily the weight on the bar. It's about getting the work done right.

• Like Like x 2
  9. omega

omega Very Tilted

Exactly. It would be awkward to stop halfway, considering considering the neuromuscular groove I have carved in over so many years. I would hope that my form would look the same whether the weight is 135 or 405.

10. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

I've been creeping up on my squats lately, so I'm backing off and going body weight only to get my groove back. Did 5 sets of 10 last night. Will start back with the weights in a couple of weeks.
    --- merged: Oct 7, 2015 1:14 PM ---
    I will be Chavez. I'd like to be Blain (Ventura), but not tall enough...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  11. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Six rounds of a minute each with 30 secs rest on new bike (HIIT). Getting used to biking again. Didn't realize how much I use my posterior chain to pedal... ouch.

Warmed up with some light rope pressdowns alternated with light cable curls, and some rotator cuff exercises. 3 sets of 10 each, supersetted.

Switched to box body weight squats and did 5 sets of 12 alternated with 5 sets of 10 Romanian dead lifts with 135 lbs. After which I did a bench press session of 135, 185, 225, 275, and 315 for 10 reps, followed by 345 for 5, then finished off with 315 for another 8.

Finished off with a set of 30 barbell shrugs with 135 lbs.

I'm trying to work out every other day with squats in each session. I'll start adding a bar, then weights to the squats next week. Maybe I will stay with squats to a box for a couple more weeks. Planning to stick with 8 to 12 rep range when I start back with weights. Build me some quads.

• Like Like x 3
  12. omega

omega Very Tilted

You're a hoss, man. My highlight was squats, 245x3x8. 20 lbs more than last workout. I'll keep adding 10-20 lbs a workout for a while, til I get back to what I consider my maintenance, 315 for sets of 8.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CinnamonGirl

I was the only woman doing weights for most of my workout tonight, and all the guys were pretty buff. I had my headphones in and my game face on, but my inner dialogue went something like, "ugh, these dudes are probably all thinking, 'man, that chick is an L7 weenie.'" I mean, they probably weren't. But I still felt pretty lame moving all the pins up on each machine.

14. omega

omega Very Tilted

Highlights today were barbell bench press, 245, 235, and 225, for three total sets of 5. Also standing barbell overhead press, 145x5, 135x5, and 135x4. Shoulder was feeling pretty good. The dumbbells are working for better shoulder stability. Cardio this evening at the gym with my gf.

15. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Cardio on the bike is good. Can't seem to get used to riding for time, so I'm doing HIIT with a minute pedaling hard with 30 to 45 seconds between of rest for several cycles.

Did some box squats with just the bar. 5 sets of 15 reps. Form is good so far.

The big story was benching 315 for 11 reps 350 for 5 and 315 again for 9 reps. I guess without the squatting big weights the strength had to go somewhere. I"m tired now.

16. CinnamonGirl

Indoor track was painted today, so I had to treadmill it up...blech. It did make me focus more on my pace, though, so I guess that's good.

17. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I remember reading that treadmills are actually not very good because of how they modify your stride. I don't know if that's true. Confidence level is "here's a thing I found on the internet once."

Doesn't matter much for me, anyway. I can't run, knee does not like it.

I need to get me a rowing machine.

• Like Like x 1
  18. omega

omega Very Tilted

See my post #1241. I specifically talk about treadmills and running.

19. CinnamonGirl

Can personally confirm. I didn't enjoy the workout at all.

Today is a weight day, and the track should be all finished by Wednesday when I run again. So, huzzah!

20. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Been doing quick ~2 mile hill runs at night. Been able to drop my time each run. The old tearing sensation around my sternum has lessened.

I have a love/hate thing with running. I've almost never done it for reasons other than work qualification or as a body maintenance chore.

Back in the day I'd run 5-6 miles a night, sometimes 10. I ran a little in the military (ATMFT). Now I feel like a 50 year old quarterback.

I want to be good at the picking things up and putting them down and I've never really mixed that with a regular running program.

Only know a few guys that wanna go on a long run after doing some heavy squats or deadlifts. Kills your work/recovery flow.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015