1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The TFP Health Club

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Mister Coaster, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Heel swelling up. I squatted anyway. Take that semi-rusted steel weights!!! Now to limp to bed

2. omega

omega Very Tilted

Leg workout today. My gym must be ground zero for a new version of polio that only affects men. 90% of them are walking on shriveled little legs. And there must be no hope for them because their upper bodies are developed but their legs have lagged far behind. Many wear sweatpants their entire workout, perhaps in the hope that retaining heat will allow them to blossom. It's a wonder that some of these guys don't fall over all the time from being so top heavy. They look like upside down bowling pins.

3. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Only fat, old guys work out at my gym. I work out at home though....

Oh and Planet Fitness, I do cardio there, but the same statement applies

4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

You should consider adding carbs to your pre-workout shake in a 1:1 ratio with protein. Quick-burning carbs (even if it's a bit of fruit or pure fruit juice) 1 or 2 hours before you workout will help keep your muscles fuelled to give you a better workout. Your muscles tap into glycogen stores when working out, but your body will seek glucose to replenish it. If it needs to convert too much from other sources, you could be putting a dampener on your energy/intensity.

I remember reading in the book Power Eating that many overemphasize protein and underemphasize carbs in their strategies for building muscle. Carbs play an important role in building muscle both in training and in recovery.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  5. omega

omega Very Tilted

Not a bad idea, if I were an endurance athlete or in a carb depleted state. I am definitely not low carbs in my approach though. It's true that the fuel for muscular contractions comes from the glycogen that is already stored in the muscles. However I tend to eat shortly after working out, so any glycogen needs are replaced almost immediately. And even though I have always been a consumer of protein, I have never been consistent with it. This is the first time I have really made a concerted effort. For example, I am at work 12 hours today. So I mixed 3 scoops of protein with about 16 ounces of milk. So that should be about 90 grams throughout the day. Not including any other food. But even a couple cheeseburgers from mcdonalds are only worth about 30-40 grams of protein. And plenty of carbs.
    As far as peri workout nutrition, some people have drilled it down to drinking bcaas during the workout. Now this is all self reported anecdotal evidence but it was worth trying. And thus far I have felt good with it.

6. Baraka_Guru

Cool. I just wanted to point out what I feel is something people sell themselves short on when it comes to building muscle. In my own case, I was consuming as much as 5,000 calories a day to build muscle. At least 40% of that was carbs. I was around 170 lbs. at the time.

Have a look at these as "food for thought." Both of these authors are registered dieticians (as opposed to "nutritionists"), and both are familiar with sports and performance nutrition.

Eat carbs before and during your workout (excerpt)

Time Your Carbs Perfectly To Crush Your Goals

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  7. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

going to the gym
    no waiting til spring to be buff ;)

• Like Like x 2
  8. rogue49

And my arms are now noodles
    Can't even lift my damned laptop :rolleyes:

But at least, I went for it...started curling 75 lbs (3 sets of 6)....and went down from there doing various bicep techniques.
    Had to be careful, my old injury on my left elbow started acting up...could'n't even straighten my arm.
    Had to alter my style a bit...so it wouldn't be stressed...took the time to stretch nicely between each set.
    It calmed down and was decent by the end...
    Ended by mimicing a few katas on the resistance machine, smooth out the arms after stiffening them...and get a good cardio arm workout in on them.

And of course, a bit of core in there.
    Something to emphasize the obliques and lower abs this time.
    Some heavy hammerthrows, but mostly lighter.

Good late night workout. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. omega

omega Very Tilted

Since you are just getting back into it, you might be better served by doing a whole body routine several days a week, just a couple sets per body part. Or an upper/lower split if you want to work out two days in a row. Or just tough it out. Personally, I would focus on big muscle groups before arms. Your arms will get plenty of stimulation with bench presses and pulldowns, dumbbell presses and rows. Squats and leg presses and lunges will do more than leg extensions and leg curls in the beginning. I don't think I have ever started a workout with curls.

10. rogue49

Well, I didn't just get into it...I've been at for awhile.
    Averaging 2-3 times a week...the snow threw it off for bit...but shoveling was a huge routine unto itself.
    Typically, these days...I do lighter...with a broad range of styles and areas during a long paced visit.

But this time, I decided to push it...going heavy to exhaustion on my bi's ( a part that doesn't come naturally to me...I'm much more of a Tri guy)
    It was just to get an edge off and not hold back.

Although, since I work alone I still don't go all out...there's reason.
    75 lbs...isn't 100
    Plus I back off when needed.
    No worries. ;)

11. omega

omega Very Tilted

My muscles have grown so monstrous that I heard Van Helsing is seeking me.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Baraka_Guru

I've tweaked my home routine to where I want it. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works over the long term.

The biggest factors are:
    1. finally figuring out what to do with my lower body workout (stiff-legged deadlifts + split squats)
    2. learning how to "jack up" my pushup routine (add a resistance band)
    3. switching from front and side crunches to front and side planks.
    I've also set some benchmarks to aim for.

I'll check in with these when I make some progress.

A quick rundown of the exercises is as follows:
    1. Dumbbell stiff-legged deadlift
    2. Dumbbell split squat
    3. Dumbbell bent-over row
    4. Pushups
    5. Standing dumbbell shoulder press
    6. Dumbbell pullover
    7. Front plank
    8. Side plank
    My goal is to do the routine twice a week, but I might have to stick to once a week until I know I'm recovering well enough between workouts while I continue my martial arts training as usual.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

My feet have been trading off which one is going to swell up and hurt lately. Today they finally feel good enough to hit the gym. Cardio and some light weights FTW

14. omega

omega Very Tilted

Be safe man.

• Like Like x 1
  15. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

16. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Of course! Wouldn't want to dissect a bunch of human brains. But it's an interesting preliminary study. I'd be curious to see how the differences stack up to pre/post tests and PET scans in humans.

18. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Safe is boring. But point taken and heeded. Feet both hurt some, but no swelling. I'll take that as a good sign.

• Like Like x 1
  19. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I posted this on faceyspace, but I'm very happy, both that the numbers are so pretty in the column, and that I've come so far:

4 pounds to go until I hit my 10 Week Challenge goal weight.
    8 pounds until I hit my lowest high school weight.
    16 pounds to a healthy BMI score, where I haven't been for about 20 years.
    32 pounds until my overall loss goal.

Last summer, I was in the morbidly obese category (which is kind of embarrassing to admit.) This summer, I'll be withing a healthy BMI range. Who's gonna wear shorts & tank tops for the first time in who knows how long? That's right, this girl. w00t!

Edited to add: 53 pounds down total, 70-80ish pounds down from my absolute heaviest.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Kick ass!

• Like Like x 2