1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The TFP Health Club

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Mister Coaster, Dec 9, 2011.

1. If I were to cut back on weight but increase the number of reps what effect would that have?

For example if I normally do 2 reps of 180 lbs and change to 3 reps at 120, would I lose mass? Would I burn as many calories? I'd like to not add mass but increase the amount of calories I burn. Any thoughts?

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

If you're going to eat rice as your carb intake, try to stick to long-grain brown rice. Failing that, basmati rice (even white) has a relatively low GI value, which means it burns slower than other forms of rice.

Long-grain brown is always the best. Keep it refrigerated because it can go rancid due to the bran/germ being perishable.

3. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

If you are eating enough food, and working your muscles, I doubt you'd lose mass. A reduction in weight might be a good thing, at least for a short period of time, to relieve achy joints, if you have them.

Generally the accepted rep scheme has 1 to 5 reps as building strength, not mass, 8 to 12 building mass, and anything above 12 increasing stamina. So increasing the reps from 2 to 3 shouldn't have the effect of mass building, but YMMV. I workout in all of these ranges from time to time, but I mainly stay in the 8 to 12 range.

Just checking the math you would be doing the same amount of work doing 3 reps of 120 as with 2 reps with 180. To get more work out of it, lift more than 120 for 3 reps and that should burn more calories.

4. I meant 2 sets of 12 reps, or 3 sets of 12 reps.....

I want to become leaner. I am doing 45 minutes of cardio of at least 7 METs every other day. Cardio one day, weights the next. I'm in pretty good shape but would like to drop 10 pounds at least. I probably need to lose some muscle mass along with fat to do that. I certainly don't need to add any mass. But I don't want to lose definition. I will have to watch what I eat but I'm pretty good at that now. I realistically can't cut back that much; a couple of fruits for breakfast, salad for lunch, normal meal for dinner. No much fat, lots of whole grains. I'm already limiting myself to one beer/day. How much more can I sacrifice? :D

5. Baraka_Guru

You probably don't want to lose muscle mass; it helps keep you lean. Focus on trimming the fat if you want to lean up.

Do HIIT/circuit training as your core program, rather than alternate between lifting and cardio as separate entities. Fuse them together and you should get what you're looking for.

I'm not that familiar with MET training, but it sounds a bit like circuit training. Maybe focus more on that and less on traditional weightlifting?

Bodybuilding.com - The Ultimate 8-Week HIIT-For-Fat-Burning Program
    High Intensity Interval Training - AskMen

Bodybuilding.com - Circuit Training!
    Circuit Training: What Can It Do For You? - AskMen

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

Back on track with yoga, vertigo almost completely gone.

Started rowing also on the river again for another season. Feeling better about things...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Gained half my weight back... Kept calories the same, or less. Only difference is the cafe at work shut down and I'm no longer eating bacon and grits for breakfast... Reducing calories on my fitness app and going from there.

8. Freetofly

Hey Cayvmann hang in there! Wow bacon and grits. I don't eat to much starch and stick to veggies, fruits, nuts, fish and some chicken and turkey. Love Tofu dishes.

I got control of my weight in 2002, stayed at a 118 at 5'3. In 2001 went down to 95, was not good.

I really like cardio, and yoga I started recently. Good for the mind, body and soul.

9. Ayashe

Ayashe Getting Tilted

The jury is not fully in on the whole MCT benefit issue. I did a fair amount of personal research on it and though there are some studies that seem to support it the data is still somewhat limited. I did try to incorporate coconut oil in limited amounts as a substitute (rather than addition as some recommend) for other fats. I noticed that it clearly caused palpitations. Of course this prompted me to research it further and I found there were many others that found the same effect. The result was a number of people attribute it to causes ranging from a stimulation of the adrenal gland, thyroid and candida die off. It is rather unfortunate the data is so limited, it really has me quite curious of the cause. Unfortunately having had a lengthy battle with tachycardia (of unknown origin) which resulted in a need for cardiac ablation I think I will personally have to pass on coconut additives in the future. I am curious if you have ever noticed any effects.

10. Baraka_Guru

Yes, I realize this. It's kind of the same thing for saturated fat in general as well.

In addition to some of the findings, it is also interesting to know that populations who traditionally consume a lot of coconut oil (Sri Lanka, Philippines, etc.) don't have an associated increased heart disease risk.

Hm. Interesting. I can't say I've read anything about that side effect, and I'm sorry you had experienced it. Is it MCT specifically or the saturated fat content in general that has that effect?

I had trouble finding literature on it as a side effect of coconut oil. Most sources were forums with people who experienced it. I did find clues that pointed out as to why, possibly, this effect may occur.

1) The fat type as a source of energy for the heart (including ketones from the liver). If you aren't used to consuming that amount of overall fat or, specifically, saturated fat, it may affect the heart's response to it.

2) MCTs also boost metabolism, which may cause the heart to respond in such a way if it isn't used to it.

3) There is also the possibly that coconut oil's killing off of yeast releases a neurotoxin byproduct, affecting the heart and possibly causing panic/anxiety.

Take all of that with a grain of salt. I couldn't find a definitive/respectable source regarding these.

I myself haven't had this happen. I've been known to consume as much as 2 tbsp of coconut oil in one day. I only use organic extra-virgin oil.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  11. Ayashe

Ayashe Getting Tilted

I don't really buy into a lot of the nutraceutical industry findings. They all rave about how physicians and the pharmaceutical industry are in bed together. Certainly in some cases that may be true but in the case of physicians there are at least anti-kick back laws in place. Anyone who thinks the nutraceutical industry is out there out of the kindness of their heart is being naive. That said, I don't buy into the candida theory. It may be possible but again, there isn't anything to back it up. There aren't really any answers out there as unfortunately, none of this has been properly studied.

I used only organic extra-virgin oil as well. I actually tried two different brands as I thought perhaps there was something wrong with the product. The oil was used in place over other oils (typically I use olive oil and butter where butter seems to be the better choice and sesame oil when suitable) I like the flavor of it, but it was clear that even the small amount of oil used in a curry, or added to baked goods clearly caused that weird effect for me. Needless to say, I am a little too fearful to continue my personal experiment after having endured a $75k surgery and a year of misery to stop similar symptoms. I have never had odd symptoms using butter in foods, I use crisco to line my baking pans and prevent sticking and never had any unusual effects. I suppose I could attempt using some palm kernel oil and see if that acts the same (I have it on hand for soapmaking) but so far it really does seem very specific to coconut oil itself. Interesting. I guess my body is just weird.

I know I am very sensitive to changes in my heart rhythm after the surgery, I don't tolerate it well. Pre-surgery I was suffering a sudden tachycardia with no known cause with a heart rate averaging 160-180 even during sleep. Medications failed to treat me as I was healthy and had a low normal blood pressure to begin with and most of the medications lower blood pressure as well as pulse. Post-op I have a heart rate that has dropped as low as 36 during my sleep and generally in the 50s during my waking hours. Working cardio into my routine is somewhat difficult so I do what is basically a heavily modified HIT training which I started under guidance of the cardio-pulmonary rehab program that I had to fight to be allowed in. It certainly could be that I am simply more sensitive to the effects than your average person.

12. sgbsteve

sgbsteve Getting Tilted

So for years I've been wasting money on gym memberships I don't use because its boring (probably my fault for not working out with a partner). I've recently gotten back in to playing racquetball once a week which from past experience is good for maintaining my weight and helping build up endurance but I have been feeling I need something more. Either another racquetball group or something different but still fun so I will actually do it. I have been reading a little about crossfit the last few months and thought it sounded like fun and then the other day there was a crossfit offer on groupon for $50 for 3 months. I figured it was time to give it a shot. I am going to my first class this evening after work. We'll see how it goes.

13. Pixel

Pixel Getting Tilted

Working out in a group has always worked better for me, just because I am more likely to push my limits.

I recently started playing basketball once a week with old guys like me (25-40 year olds for the most part). My god that's a workout. We play make it take it to 16 then the losing team sub in guys. The winners play on. I always seem to end up on the winning team, but after the first game I am dogging it. Usually get another wind after another game.

14. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

I read the article baraka linked to about HIIT. We used to call it "SHIT" (special high-intensive training), and I think I'm going back to that. It's challenging but really burns fat.

15. Mister Coaster

Mister Coaster New Member

After hovering between 225-235 and not exactly being on the ball nuritionally for quite a while, I'm down to 222. I'm not too concerned about the lack of weight loss becuase with the weight training, I'm seeing some gain in muscle and continued trimming of the belly area - so I'm adding the good weight. As mentioned, I'm training with someone who knows what he's doing, and while I'm by no means a Bronze God just yet, there are some noticeable results. I only do 10-30 minutes of cardio each time, just enough to work up a good sweat and then its off to the weight room. I aso have been taking whey protein as a supplement since I cannot eat much meat.

My current routine: 4 "heavy" workouts per week. There are 4-5 movements (excersizes) for each muscle group. 4 sets each movement, 8-12 reps per set.
    1. Biceps/Chest
    2. Triceps/Back
    3. Shoulders/Traps
    4. Legs
    Any other day that I have time I'll do mostly cardio and abs.

I'm also happy to report I have had NO GOUT FLARE UPS since my last check in - and thats more important than anything! I've managed to keep within the rules and it works like a charm. Its somewhat difficult when going out to eat, as most restaraunts are horribly unhealthy - even most places' "light" menu is chocked full of something I can't have (usually sodium) . Then theres places like Bubba Gump that do not even provide nutritional information on their food... I wonder what they are trying to hide...?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Well, after a month of not losing weight, I am now down to 233.8. Had to cut calories again, but nothing dramatic. I'm trying to stay just below maintenance.

It must be working, because lately I've noticed that women are starting to spontaneously start conversations with me again. Woot. The wife might not like this, though

• Like Like x 1
  17. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

They never do like that....

Stop eating after dinner, it works wonders....

18. Freetofly

Dragonboat race this weekend, sure hope my right shoulder holds up.
    500 meters in 2mins 15secs.

• Like Like x 1
  19. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Ok, back to being vegan (except for special occasions), packing my lunches, and eating according to plan.

• Like Like x 1