1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The TFP Health Club

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Mister Coaster, Dec 9, 2011.

1. omega

omega Very Tilted

Got some lifting straps today and then put them to use on deadlifts. Made it easier to keep my form because I wasn't struggling with the bar slipping out of my hands and I could concentrate on actually lifting. I only did two working sets of 4 at 315 and 335, and then 3x355. But I don't think deadlifts should be high volume. But they are actually going pretty well considering my advanced age and decrepitude. The lifting straps also allow me to take an overhand grip while lifting as opposed to an alternating grip that throws off my lifting symmetry.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Just started back yesterday after a week and a half after my lower back spasmed and tweaked out.
    Too much chair sitting I guess.
    I'm trying to be more careful and aware.
    Did good, all pistons going.

Today is a full cheat day, lots of food, enjoying naps.

Tomorrow planning on yoga in the evening.
    Maybe more, we'll see how I feel after work.
    Again, I'm being careful, moderate...don't want to tweak it again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rogue49

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Shoulder is back in socket in yay! Right hip is partially out and right leg hurts in an electrical way. Still, going to the gym and swimming after. However, I may baby my body a bit today as everything feels a little off kilter and I don't want to do more damage.

5. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

My back has been giving me trouble again. It's not all the way out, but I can feel that it's close. I've been stretching it the last several days hoping that my discs will stay in place. I'm also back to doing my PT exercises. In the meantime, I'm only bending over at the hips and hoping for the best. It's all very sore, but that's really nothing compared to the pain of bulging or slipped discs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Oh I hope they stay in place as well. Will you be seeing anyone or is this how they normally are?

7. omega

omega Very Tilted

Yesterday was back and biceps. Deadlifts again. Can't believe I'm still doing them. After warming that particular movement, did 275x4, 325x4, 354x4, 365x3. Wasn't terrible, but wasn't easy. Straps are definitely worth it. Other than that, I have been concentrating on a little more cardio. Easy cardio for me is running, once I get light enough. Running at 240+ is not easy. So my time on the treadmill is running for a minute or two, then walking for a couple minutes. Doesn't seem like much, but it's enough for now. When I can start to link those few minutes together into a continuous run, then things will start to quickly improve. Just laying the groundwork safely.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

3/4 mile in the pool today. Totally could've gone for the full mile, but I wanted to get a shower in before the gym closed. I'll go earlier on Wednesday.

Weight-wise, I'm not where I thought I would be by now...around 10ish pounds off. But people at work have started commenting that my face is looking thinner, and I'm slimming down in general, so that's nice.

In related news, I adore my gym. If only they were open later.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

We go to one called Anytime Fitness. It's open 24/7 Two local locations. It's a national chain and we can go anywhere in the country. Kind of small, and no track, but great hours.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

I'm loving the YMCA so far! We've gotten used to friendly folk, a room of weight machines, another of free weights, basketball, yoga classes, surprisingly nice pools! One of the things I like best is how diverse the member base is there are people of all sizes, shapes, colors, have heard about five different languages so far, and nearly everyone has been pleasant to interact with. :)

Worked abs, lower and upper back, chest, and arms today, they feel like overcooked noodles now. :) Have been starting to bellydance a bit again and some days that is going well others not so hot.

11. omega

omega Very Tilted

Finally broke under 240, the first time in probably 4 to 5 years. (239.2). When I left the patrol I was 252 two years ago. As soon as I started lifting regularly I jumped up to a high of 258. Spent almost 2 years fluctuating between 250 to 255. It has really taken limiting my total calories and adding cardio the last few months to get lower. People debate macros and keto and all that shit, but the end result is you have to consume fewer calories than you burn. So burn more calories, or reduce calories, or both. That being said, if it's easier to program keto or lots of greens or whatever, then do it. But most of the time when you go on a specific plan, you end up reducing calories. Other than that, next goal is 235. I will go lower, but don't want to set some goal that feels unobtainable. So I break it up to plug away. Girlfriend is finally starting to work on it again as well. Glad she is doing that. I know it will help her as well.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

@omega, I agree 100% with about 80% of what you say. I just know that for me if I keep the carbs down and the fat and protein up I'm OK. That used to keep me in keto, but I haven't peed on the paper for a couple of years, so not sure anymore. But I do try not to be a caloric glutton. So, it's an 8oz ribeye, not a 16oz. Four strips of bacon, not twelve, broccoli or cauliflower, not potatoes and rice. So maybe that does lower my calories, I don't count. I do know there's not a whole lot of caloric wiggle room at 110lbs. Even less carb wiggle room. I strive for 80% compliance and it's worked for maintenance.

Congratz on breaking through your plateau. :D

• Like Like x 2
  13. rogue49

Funny, I'm working to get back down to 240, was 245 at the start of the Summer last year...gained with stress over the Fall...now I seemed to have plateau'd at 260.
    Not fat...but weight is weight, it stresses the joints, etc. (especially when you're near 50)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

No gym today as some of house are on deadline. My neck sounds like rice crispies so that is a thing. We get to do the gym tomorrow and every person in the house is eager to get back! My fella does doing cardio as he was pretty out of shape and has to be careful. Our teen has fallen for elliptical and working her legs with weights, especially squats. The 11 year old loves basketball and also the pre-teen/teen center. I stick to the weights and it has given me back a confidence I was unaware of losing and everything now fits sleeker. We all swim after our workouts and moods have really brightened!

I have some gym etiquette questions:
    How many sets do you do when working with one set of weights or on a machine?
    Do you rest in between sets?
    If you rest in between sets do you stay on machine or in same area as free weights?

15. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Got a colonoscopy on tuesday and have been worn out since then. Must go to the gym today, as I'll be busy tomorrow through Saturday moving my son back to college. Wheeeeee!!!!

Common weights/set scheme is 3 sets of 10, or 5 sets of 5. The shorter the sets the less rest between, but a minute is fairly standard. I stay near the weights I am lifting.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Good luck with both the gym and moving your son to college. Is this is his first year?
    Thank you very much for the answer about weights and sets. I've been piecing this together myself but have been trying to do 3 sets of reps (sometimes can only do 2 though) with 1 min. rest between. Our gym guidelines are to leave the weights or machines to rest but so far that is just not possible as it takes about a minute to transition with either the wheels or crutches and wipe down machine. I do pay attention and if it looks like someone needs the machine I will leave it let them do their workout and then come back to it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SirLance

SirLance Death Therapist

I'm in the at risk group, so I get to have those every once in a while. Not fun (at least for me). Good luck with the kid, what's he study?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sierra Vertical

Cayvmann, I have to get one in October. Were you able to go to work the next day or is it at least conceivable that one could with no major distress? thank you for sharing!
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 17, 2017, Original Post Date: Aug 17, 2017 ---
    BP last year 177/122
    Yesterday 140/90
    not great but definitely an improvement :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wildmermaid

Wildmermaid Very Tilted

Hey nice job on lowering it! Mine is low so I have to keep it stable or pass out but my husband's is high and he's on meds and has to work to lower his.
    I'm not @Cayvmann but had to have a colonoscopy as a child because of fissure and tummy ulcer. I had a little bit of bleeding, a fair bit of pain, but was okay. They have probably advanced techniques now though!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sierra Vertical

Sorry Wildmermaid that was supposed to go to Cayvmann!
    It's all tough work but at least there are things we can do.