1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by cynthetiq, Oct 8, 2011.

1. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

Nice episode. Some good tension. There's just bits and pieces of background, not so much character development, but more to see how the characters will develop I think. I took that away from how I viewed tonight's episode.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I agree. Some folks will be quick to say "It was just filler," but I feel it gave us both important backstory (Shane wasn't just horny for his best friend's wife--he truly cares for the whole family) as well as laying out a beginning road map to where we are going with these people. I am intensely curious to know what happened to Sophia. The remark that master-tracker "Daryl" made about how her footprints got more faint--what would cause that?
    Oh, I also like that we were given more glimpses into just how vulnerable Rick is. Despite his cool when zombies attack, he completely lost his shit after his kid was shot (beyond getting the kid to the farm house). As you suggest, this will be an important juxtaposition to the Rick of the future
    (if the series has multiple seasons).

3. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

Changes in terrain and gait are what affect tracks, mostly terrain though. I think maybe you're reading too much into that. Not that I'm not curious about where Sophia is, or if they'll find her. Or for that matter how much longer until her mother just totally loses it.

As for Rick, I kinda wanted to punch him in the face. It was like he totally lost his perspective and he's been so 'on' so far. It just seems like a huge inconsistency. Then again...maybe he never had any perspective to begin with and that's what lets him go on the way he has.

4. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Update 3/14
    Inside Episode 203 The Walking Dead: Save The Last One
    Andrew Lincoln and his The Walking Dead costars discuss the existential position in which their characters find themselves in episode 203.

EDIT/Video was deleted by You Tube:The Walking Dead Sneak Peak - Episode 203, Save The Last One:
    I find this sneak peek really intriguing because it teases the question that thus far remains unanswered: Do you have to get bitten in order to turn into a walker or one of 'the walking dead,' as Hershel (Scott Wilson) calls them? It appears that Daryl (Norman Reedus) and Andrea (Laurie Holden) have comes across a campsite in the woods that was inhabited by a man who took his own life via stringing himself up by a noose hanging from a big tree. But, from the brief glimpse we get it appears that the man made his situation in death worse than it was in life. It appears that he is both unbitten and dead--one of the living dead. Will this call for yet another mercy kill of a zombie ala Andrea's sister, Amy?
    2011-10-24_205056.jpg
    2011-10-24_203308.jpg

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  5. ace0spades

ace0spades Slightly Tilted

I enjoyed that episode... A few things though, it feels like they can't decide how fast these zombies are. Are they slow? Are they fast? They were nearly RUNNING after Shane and Otis there at the end. *sigh*

I think it would be more out of character for a parent to NOT lose their shit when their kid gets shot with no real prospects for quality medical care. I personally found it pretty nice to see cracks in the calm/cool leadership persona Rick has built around himself so far. I feel like these cracks will only widen as people start dropping and shit gets more fucked up.

COMIC SPOILER:
    to the point where he's talking to the dead through an old rotary phone he picks up later on... Totally off his rocker crazy from all the grief/loss

Nice to see they are going with the "You die, you come back as a zombie" angle from the comics... Yet this brings up some weird discrepancies in the show... Why aren't all the dead people on the highway zombies?

Also, I hope that "herd" they saw earlier is only a sneak peek of the MUCH larger herds that are wandering around.

[​IMG]

6. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

I'm kind of disappointed if that's how they do that reveal. It was much more shocking in the comic.

7. dippin Getting Tilted

This show is a good show, but it is very far from the top tier of tv shows (breaking bad, the wire, etc).
    The show gets too "soapy" at times, with unnecessary melodrama.

8. dude2012789 New Member

I really like this show, but I feel like at times it's just extremely slow...
    But I did find the lynched zombie in the Episode 3 sneak peak hilarious

9. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I'm not sure yet if the
    'you die, you become a zombie'
    has been developed for the TV series as it is in the comic books and I'm not sure yet if
    that zombie in the sneak peek is a lynching or a suicide gone terribly wrong.

I too was taken aback by how much faster the walkers are moving this season. I hope there is a comment on it because it is too jarring to just 'happen.'
    I find I enjoy the TV series The Walking Dead more when I keep it and the comic books separate in terms of my absolute expectations--but really, to each his own--it's all in fun.

10. Hektore

Hektore Slightly Tilted

I don't know if it's weird that they move so fast, do you remember the very first episode where the advice was given about groups vs individuals as well as when the walkers get 'worked up' or however he put it. I kinda like the idea of the hind brain feeding off the frenzy of others, lynch mob mentality and all that. Just with zombies.

11. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I get the mob mentality, how they will pile atop one another to get over or bust down a fence. And how a herd of walkers is a very bad thing...the sheer force of the number of bodies coming at you. Yikes.

I thought tho' that they walked the way they did because they were super-messed up. They are only (rotting) human parts, after all. Just the same, if no mention is made of it we are are going to have look at zombies with a learning curve. That really bodes ill for humankind.

12. ace0spades

Has anyone read The Rise of the Governor? I'm listening to the audiobook right now. It's decent!

13. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Is The Rise Of The Governor a stand alone story--separate from the comic books? I've only read the comic books--and then only in volume form.
    The Governor scared the crap outta me--waaay more than zombies.

14. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Getting Tilted

From what I understand, the book basically takes you up to the point where Rick and co find them. So it's stand alone-ish.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Does anyone know when this is available on demand (if it isn't already)?

16. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Yes. The Walking Dead is available OnDemand...but you are referring to Cdn. availability?
    I'm sorry. I'm not very knowledgeable about... is it Bell Canada? I have no TV at the Ontario cottage (just Internet).
    I'll attach what I brought up. I have Comcast Xfinity here in the States where I can currently watch episodes 1 & 2. 2011-10-28_160755.jpg

17. flat5

flat5 Vertical

I DL the episodes from the internet.

18. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

I have Rogers, and we have access to AMC and AMC on demand, but I haven't checked it recently.

• Like Like x 1
  19. ace0spades

Yeah, the Governor is basically the most evil person in the comics... He got Villain of the Year in Wizard. Also, most of that stuff won't make it into the show... Not suitable for network TV.

20. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

AMC is basic cable, not network.
    I'm not a betting gal but I'd be willing to make a friendly wager be that you may be surprised what stays. That said, a comic book is a completely different medium. Logically speaking, they are not supposed to be exactly the same.
    --- merged: Oct 30, 2011 7:30 AM ---
    Sorry, Baraka. I do not know. Do you have OnDemand for other shows because it is being released 'on demand.'