1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The works of J. R. R. Tolkien

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Baraka_Guru, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I think that might be the edition I grew up with. A lovely edition. And personally, I have never valued dust jackets, which I know makes me a bad book collector, but then, I collect them to read them, not as objets d'art.

May you enjoy it in good health!

--

BTW, for all interested, an edition has just been released of Tolkien's unfinished rendering (a translation that moved into a more loose paraphrasing and embroidering upon the text) of the Finnish tale of Kullervo, along with some of his notes and a couple of his essays upon the topic of Kullervo.

I am greatly looking forward to geting and reading this. He expresses in his letters a great love of and appreciation for the Finnish myths, especially Kullervo, and makes no bones about Kullervo's story being the basis for the Tale of Turin Turambar/Narn i Hin Hurin, which is in the Silmarillion and in a rougher form, in Unfinished Tales (I think they also released it as a stand-alone a few years ago).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

DJs are a pain when trying to read a book. I remove them, as do most folks, but make sure to keep them, which many don't do. Which is why having the DJs adds considerable value to collectible books.

Eighty percent of my books are purchased for reading, but I will purchase old, unusual, author signed, etc. books that catch my eye. Collectible books are hit-and-miss.

----------------------------------

Back on topic...I was happy to find The Silmarillion in HB for about $2.05.

3. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Dude, you shouldn't be reading; you should be dancing!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

While my dancing would provide the world with some much needed humor, I'll stick with reading.

My clubbing days ended before well before DJs were the norm.

5. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

The '50s and '60s? Ouch.

6. Chris Noyb

Ha.
    Ha.
    Ha.

Get your ass off my lawn!

• Like Like x 2