1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

The YA Lit Shame

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by GeneticShift, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I was thinking about that part with the before dinner speeches the other day where everyone eats their words.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

I guess the thing that makes me snicker the most is the fact that so many "classic beloved adult fiction" novels were, when they were written, intended for young adults. Example: To Kill a Mockingbird.

And at this point in my life, I love YA still. I'm in grad school. I don't have time to read to think. I read to escape.

• Like Like x 3
  3. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I just finished reading Looking For Alaska, so I've read all of John Green's books.
    Considering my current head space that might not have been the best idea to do all at once.
    He writes very real and personal stuff that will do a serious job on you emotionally if you don't watch out.
    People should not write him off as just a YA author.

• Like Like x 2
  4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

I've had The Fault in Our Stars sitting on my shelf for a while. My students told me that I shouldn't read it after we suffered a loss in our class, and then my husband's beloved grandfather passed away. I'll get around to it sometime soon.

Man, I miss those kids.

• Like Like x 2