1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Them bear hunter patches

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Strange Famous, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

OK, I deleted the address. Strange Famous, while it may be in the phone book, there's no link to your online persona there.

To start a conversation, go to the top right of any screen. You'll see your name, followed by "inbox", "alerts" and "log out". Hover over "inbox". That will bring up a box that shows your conversations/private messages. If you have one, there will a red number above that box. You have the option to start a conversation in the lower right of that box. You can add as many people as you'd like to the conversation.

I'll send you one (as well as Kirstang) so that it's a little easier to get this started.

2. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

Erm, not to be funny... but do you get any letters ever? How to people write to you if you find giving out your name and address such a "facepalm" worthy thing?

If the site doesnt want people's details then fair enough and sorry... but I am struggling to find why you propose this is such a odd thing to do. My online persona isnt separated from me as a person. I would say that any long term member of this site knows my name, knows my home town, and could look up my address themselves with about 1 mins effort.

3. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Hi Strange Famous

Giving your contact details in PM of Conversation means YOU keep control over who sees it. So why is this significant?

On open forum, for all that your friends here can see it and you affirm your straightforwardness and openness, the rest of the world can see it too, including data-mining programs which trawl through anything and everywhere, opportunistically assembling whatever they can find. Part of what you Published here, may fit part of what you published elsewhere, and so on, until a less-than-safe profile of you is available. It is a matter of hygiene.

4. Strange Famous

Just to extend what I was saying in another discussion

If I know the registration or your car, I can buy all of your details from the DVLA
    If I want to know the names, addresses, ages of everyone in my town, I can buy them from the local council (from the electoral register)
    If I want a list of contact details for people who might want to join my book club, I can buy a list from any number of people (for not very much cost).
    If I know where you live (or you name or your birthday, or if you have ever run a company) I can credit check you online right now and pull out quite personal data about you and your family
    If you apply for planning permission your name and address is logged and publically available (AND if you object to a planning application)
    If you stand for almost any public office, your name and address are available to anyone.
    If you use Facebook, almost everything on there is up for grabs
    If you have gmail account, all the Google searches you do are up for grabs
    If you have a cell phone on a contract, the GPRS data about where you physically go is up for grabs
    If you have a bank card, the purchases you make will be held and used to target you with marketing.

Every person's data is out there and fair game for people who want to use it for any number of reasons.

Seriously, why do people think they get marketing calls? That someone sits in an office punching numbers into the phone at random and asking whoever answers if they need new double glazing?

Why do people think they get junk mail?

_

The fact that someone can connect me to an account on a website doesnt make me any more vulnerable to anything unless somebody targets me BECAUSE of what I have said on this site.
    --- merged: Aug 31, 2011 5:44 PM ---
    __

Anyway, I appreciate that people are just looking out for me, so thank you anyway And also, thanks for the patch. Gonna put it on my bag for Germany.

I think it would be intersting to have a debate about data security and such like, but this thread should be about how to gun down a grizzly bear with a machine gun...

• Like Like x 1
  5. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Just because it's out there doesn't mean you should make it any easier, though.

Anyway, cool patch. We talked about buying a couple...are they still ten bucks?

6. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

yes because everyone who uses google is sane and would never do anything like steal your identity when you make it so easy.

/facepalm repeated.

7. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

I think it's too late to worry about that stuff now we are DOOMED (Does BING collect as much data as GOOGLE?)

8. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

that may be the case where you live but it isn't in many states.

you may not give a shit about yourself, but me and the staff care about the liability of this space.

9. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

I have buddy who is so down on Google, he keeps sending me all kinds of articles and postings about what Google does, it seems they own U tube also?

10. Strange Famous

You dont seem to be able to explain your point in terms that I can understand, so one of us is missing something... I think I'll leave it at that.
    --- merged: Aug 31, 2011 7:03 PM ---
    Im struggling a bit with the equation that

Being happy to post your name and address (which we all - I think - agree is publically available information held by many public and private bodies in EVERY state) = "not giving a shit about yourself"

11. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

If I need to get info on the black-hats targeting me (assuming there would ever be any) I know who to go to, now. :eek:

12. cynthetiq

I do not agree. You are welcome to create your own server, attract your own community of people, and decide to put up your own address there if you wish. I'm not interested in the liability of it. I don't care what you think of it, it won't happen on my server or my community. the_jazz shares that opinion.

If you think that it's all public I beg to differ on that opinion strongly because I do not get mail based on my private information, my public facing one yes, but my private one I do not. I can easily tell from how a letter is addressed to me if it is public information that has been retrieved or privately held. The privately held information is very well protected and isn't available on public facing systems. I go to great lengths to keep my privacy and I respect others privacy as well, even when they themselves do not.

13. Strange Famous

Sorry, to be clear - I am not disputing that you have the right to ask people not to put their addresses on the site you run. I apologised for doing it and I genuinely was not aware it was an issue.

What I am saying is something else.

That I do not see on what basis you equate that I as an individual do not mind putting my address on a website with "not giving a shit about myself"

My name and address is held certainly by:

Every company I have ordered something by mail order from
    Mobile phone contract holder
    Insurers
    Local Council
    DVLA
    Government
    Tax Office
    Landlord and agent
    Employer
    Pension fund manager
    Receiver and all creditors
    Anyone who reads the phone book and knows my name to look up
    Anyone who types my name and date of birth into a credit checking website
    Loyalty Cards at 2 supermarkets and two oil company cards
    Gym membership
    Cinema membership
    Air Miles
    Subway Loyalty Card
    Internet provider
    TV Licensing dept
    NHS
    Doctors Sugery
    Dentists Sugery
    Love Film

(additional to this, the DVLA and Council have the right to sell that information no matter what I think about it... I can request a third party in writing that they remove it from their records and they legally should... to do that I have to know they hold it. It is likely the electoral register information has been sold on dozens of times by now)

(additional to this, I have probably only scratched the surface of the number of people who hold my address, and I felt that by this point I had made my point)

14. cynthetiq

Weird. When I look at the screen I see the name Strange Famous, I do not see the name that you purchase goods, have on your driver's license, your employers past and present, air miles, your landlord, etc. While I happen to know that name I do not share that name with anyone who asks it of me.

Again, I'll state that you don't give a shit, since below is something that is linked to EVERY single page here. If you understood that all companies have privacy policies, you'd also know that in many jurisdictions from the US to Germany they cannot give out your information wily nily to any Tom, Dick, and Harry that requests it.

I think that this thread is over. If you'd like to continue to discuss this, create another since this one is about the bear patch and we're way past the discussion of the bear patch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.