1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Theme Parks and Coasters

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by lionrock, Oct 19, 2011.

1. lionrock

lionrock Getting Tilted

What are the best theme parks/ thrill rides in the country? I am always looking to make a road trip. I have been to Cedar Point, 6 Flags over GA, America, TX, Universal/IOA, Busch Gardens Tampa/ Williamsburg, Disney (Orlando), King's Dominion, King's Island, Carowinds, Freestyle Music Park. and Dollywood.

Just got back from 6 Flags Georgia. Best rides were Superman Ultimate Flight and Daredevil Dive

Best Coasters Steel :Millenium Force
    Inverted:Alpengeist
    Wood:The Beast
    Dark Ride :Spiderman
    Launched Coaster: The Incredible Hulk
    Most Fun Water Ride: River Battle

Any other great parks/ coaster enthusiasts out there?

2. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

I do love my theme parks but I especially love going to them while it is raining, makes it dicey for the coasters which is why I love it and it also means the rain scares away the people.... I will say I'm impartial to Canada's Wonderland only because its the only decent one in Canada. I've been to King Island and is was decent... was too young for Disneyworld in Florida, as with Busch Gardens there as well...

3. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I'm a fan of Hersheypark because it's close, clean and well maintained, and they have good roller coasters and a zoo.*

StormRunner and Great Bear are my two favorites.

*I am not a fan of the loss of two buffalo that were euthanized after being overcome by flood water in their enclosure during the unprecedented flooding of the park in early September.

:(

/Debbie Downer aside

4. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

I was in the "take a ticket" line when Millennium Force first opened. I've also ridden Alpengeist in VA far more times than any human should. I still long for the day I get to ride Top Thrill Dragster, but it'll be some time before I'm ever back in Ohio.

5. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Yay! I'm happy the Beast made your list. I grew up about half an hour from Kings Island and spent many, many days (and evenings!) there. King Cobra was my favorite (stand-up looping coaster), but it's been gone for years now.

I've only been to Cedar Point once, but I was a big fan of Magnum and Top Thrill Dragster (Millennium Force was closed that day, sadly.)

Hopefully, we'll make it out to Carowinds next summer, and I'll have some more coasters to report on :D

6. lionrock

lionrock Getting Tilted

I went to Hershey as a child, but my parents would not pay for admission so we did the free dark ride outside and sampled new products. Cin, Carowinds is fun, but only has a couple of world class rides. (Intimidator is supposedly great, but my fat ass would not fit. Afterburn, Hurler, Nighthawk and Thunder Road are pretty great. )

If I could ride any ride right now, it would be....The Beast.

7. We went to Busch Gardens in Virginia and loved it, but it was so long ago that I don't remember any of the ride names. We didn't get to ride on the craziest coaster because every time we got in line, it started to rain (not sprinkle, but RAIN) and they closed it. We were bummed. EDIT: It was the Alpengeist.

We went to Knotts Berry Farm earlier this year and there was a coaster there that was so freaking high, I wouldn't ride it. Hubby and son both loved it though, said it was the best coaster they'd ever been on. I enjoyed all the other coasters we went on there, especially the loop the loop backwards one.

8. hotzot

hotzot New Member

I never get on a ride where I have to change my shorts after the ride. :oops:

9. CinnamonGirl

I remember riding Space Mountain at Disney World as a pretty young kid, and it was the most Awesome Thing Ever. I rode it again when I was around 12, and was deeply disappointed. Did they change it in between visits (I'm thinking the first time was '85ish, and the second time would've been '93ish), or did I just think it was cooler because I was little?

10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I think you just out grew it Cinn. I've been on it several times over the years, it's always been the same in my mind. In fact I think it might be the same in Florida, California and Japan. I haven't been to EuroDisney.

I love a good thrill ride. I like a couple at Busch Gardens in Tampa but right now I can't remember their names.

11. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

the scream machine at six flags over ga was the first coaster i ever rode, so i have a soft spot for that one. the dahlonega was always fun, too.

The Hulk at Universal is probably the best coaster in central florida, although it is a deflatingly brief ride, particularly if you have waited a long time to ride it.

The Kraken at Seaworld is pretty smooth and groovy. It's one of those bottomless coasters, therefore it feels a bit like flying. I love that.

12. They did change it. They added lights and added music.

13. Irishsean

Irishsean Vertical

Wait, people go on these things for fun? I thought they were only for parents to submit their unknowing children to, or perhaps as frat boy bets! Yikes! I can't even stand the kiddy ones my daughter tries to drag me on!

14. CinnamonGirl

THANK YOU! My mom had me almost convinced that I just closed my eyes the first time, and that's why I remembered it being completely dark.

15. You're mom wrong. They added lights because it was TOO scary for kids. And the music was a way to tap into the 90's rock/grunge thing. Lame.

16. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

I grew up in Ohio and we alternated years between Kings Island and Cedar Point. I remember one year we went to Sea World and Geauga Lake (that was a let down). In '78 or '79 we went to Disney and except for the monorail to the hotel and park, the arcade in the Hotel and the water park, it was lame to me because it didn't have the thrills that Cedar Point and Kings Island did.

We were there the first year Kings Island opened, it was basically a petting zoo with some nice rides but when it first opened wasn't anything spectacular, until they got Hanna Barbera land and the Beast. But the did have fireworks every night. I actually worked there in 96 (Hanna Barbera land), when Paramount owned them. The Vortex was cool and that was the year they had the "Outer Limits-Flight of Fear" ride. The nice thing about working there was getting in free and the after hour nights where they'd open certain rides for the staff. There was also a really cool Haunted House we'd all go to after work right off I-71, we'd go to after work. Good times. Nothing beats being on the top deck of their Eiffel Tower at sunset and looking out across the area. One of my favorite coasters of all time was the Screamin Demon which was short but it would take you through a loop forwards then back you through it. At 9 -10 years old that was a lot of fun. (Dick Van Dyke also did the commercials for it.)

Cedar Point was always my favorite, it just had a great feel to it and the rides were amazing. As a kid I loved Cedar Point. they had so many rides and it was just fun.

My first marriage we went to Disney World MGM and that place had changed, I liked it a lot better. (Last time I was there they were building Epcot Center.) I was amazed at the difference, even Orlando as a whole seemed different, which it would since I was an adult as opposed to a kid. I really liked Tower of Fear (The Twilight Zone ride in MGM) and I liked Aerosmith's Rock and Roller coaster. The lines amazed me in how short they were, especially like after 4. I think it's because the park is soooo big it has the space and enough attractions to keep lines down and moving. Think the longest we waited in line was half an hour.

One Summer during a family vacation to Va Beach we hit Busch Gardens the Olde Country but didn't get to go to Kings Dominion (went there when I was in the Navy stationed in Norfolk though). BG was ok, it was fun "seeing" European countries portrayed (Epcot does it better). I remember riding I believe The Loch Ness monster roller coaster there and it was impressive and this is when coasters outside of KI and CP didn't impress me at all.

Growing up in the 70's and 80's was fun because it seemed like CP and KI were always trying to outdo the other. The Beast came out then CP had to get the Gemini and so on. Just great great times.