1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

They Outsourced What?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Tully Mars, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

With unemployment holding steady at around 9-10% and many people out of work in the US there have been many complainants regarding outsourcing. Everything from tech support to call centers and many, many manufacturing jobs have been shipped over seas. Just when I thought they'd outsourced every job they possibly could I read this earlier this summer-

From the NYT-

[​IMG]

Really? “Most U.S. companies don’t have these types of warehouses, equipment or the cash flow." If that's true I find that deeply saddening.

I also find it ironic that this bridge is within viewing distance of the Golden Gate Bridge which when built was an engineering marvel and touted as an example of what US industry was capable of completing.

Had you heard about this project?

Do you think it's true the US no longer can accomplish such projects?

What do you think about having Chinese workers install the finished project here?

2. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

It's utterly crap. We've gone from the Greatest Generation to the Most Pathetic Generation in short order.

I had heard about it, I didn't realize that it was Chinese driven.

We don't manufacture much anymore. We wondered in the 80s how come we couldn't make anything anymore in the consumer markets. Now we don't make even simple tshirts and underwear. An illiterate used to be able to make it in the Garment center and become entrepreneurial and start his own shop. No longer possible. In less than a generation, a historic and functional industry has vanished from NYC.

Even the Chinese here lost out because they were the seamstress companies. No more those shops are also gone.

3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Right now we still manufacture more than any other country, based on dollar amount produced. But the Chinese are set to over take us either this year or next. 3-4 years ago for every $1 of product produced in China we manufactured $2.50. Once they start making commercial planes, decent cars, missiles and other military hardware we're toast.

4. cynthetiq

That's the part I remember that they've been saying since the 80s.

5. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

if all that matters is capital flows, then where production is located isn't terribly relevant.
    this has been true for 20 years. the internet radicalized a pre-existing trend. transnationalization of fragmented production linked via kanban-style systems on a global context.
    what's odd is that people are suddenly noticing this now.
    why now and not 20 years ago?

6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Well slowly but surely (I know please don't call me Shirley) they've been chipping away at it. It's taken them 30 years but looks like they're going to do it.

People point out that we owe China money, which is true. But we owe US bond holders way more then we owe them or any other nation. I think the lack of production is a much larger issue.

7. cynthetiq

I don't know RB, but there are many manhole covers here in NYC that say Made in India.

[​IMG]

8. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

so you'd think. at the same time this is a logical outcome of the internationalization of trade in stocks. deterritorialization of ownership. goes back to nixon.

btw i agree with you. just looking at it from a different angle.

9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

As long as we can get it cheap has become the only concern. It's actually been that way for a long time. How many small town main streets were shuttered by Wal-Mart? Certainly seemed short sighted to me. And no it's not new it's just snowballing faster and faster.

10. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

it's a structural feature of neo-liberal capitalism. it's one of the many reasons that ideology should be set on fire.

11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

Yes but you can buy 2 dozen tube socks for $12... so Yay!

• Like Like x 1
  12. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

well to quote ross perot, it's that giant sucking sound that comes from these free trade agreements. why do we not listen to the people that predict this stuff?

importing labor and products at slave labor rates doesn't do us or other countries any favors.

13. cynthetiq

I'm going to India next week because I'm meeting with a company that does legal process outsourcing. Lawyers getting outsourced because some of their work can be done for $7/hr instead of $150/hr.

14. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I remember Ol' Ross. He had a lot of steam behind him. Then he picked some ex admiral as his VP nominee who stated in debates and other public venues "What am I doing here?" He also went on TV via self paid half hour commercials to expain his "vision." He came off sounding like a nut job (even though many of his ideas were in principle pretty sound) and looked like some kind of non-blinking robot. Like Nixon v. Kennedy... he just didn't "look" like the best choice.

But I agree, it's not like this is the first time we've heard this is bad for the country. We've been hearing it for years but we're just too content and busy buying $30 DVD players and $5 packs of t-shirts to pay any attention.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

We can't compete with a nation that pays its workers $12 USD a day. We're at a different place in our life cycle. They're in our industrialized-slave-tenement past. Take the security industry for example: US expatriates gets paid, let's say, $450 a day. Third country nationals (various countries) get paid $450 a month. It's a lower quality product (the military industrial complex and its associated byproducts are one thing the US still kicks ass in, FBOFW) but still "gets the job done." People don't like it but they can't stomach paying Americans 30 times as much to do the same thing.

As the the quality of living increases and the expectation for that quality strengthens, people turn into white America: "I can't do that. That's a job for __Mexicans!__" It reminds me of a few years back: I was sitting in a college classroom in 2009 when I overheard this almost-21 girl in dirty sweatpants and flip flops in the row behind me declare: "Gawd, college is so fucking stupid. I can't wait until I get my degree and make $180k a year!" She was in the same public service degree program I was. The average income of someone starting out with a degree in my field is ~$50k.

We're fucked. And our success is largely responsible for it. You can't have generation after generation have it this good and not expect them to get lazy. We have no famine, no plague, no war, no great crusade to inspire future college kids. What reason do we have to get up off the couch?

The price of economic success is eternal vigilance. And we're asleep at the wheel.

16. UK has awarded Ministry Of Defence contracts to overseas companies - that also gives these companies access to MOD research etc. We have been unable to breed and train people of our own to help the unemployed find jobs - private contract to overseas company.
    When I was young, we had a similar financial crisis - and the 'I'm Backing Britain' campaign. You were encouraged to show your support for the country and for the workers of the country by purchasing British manufactured goods. Yes they often cost a little more, but it was a feeling of patriotism that made up for the extra. Of course, in those times a job was a job, and we seemed less picky about what we would do to earn an honest poorly paid days pay. Trouble with buying imported stuff is that the skills to manufacture will be lost in your own country.
    Whoever awarded the contract to China might have taken the opportunity to raise the subject of Tibet - sure there was room for a political sweetener to help with the deal. Maybe they could have been encouraged to leave borders open for American tourists at least, then they might have had to be a bit nicer to the people of Tibet.

17. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Okay the danger is jobs increasingly being outsourced.

What the ultimately means is that somewhere abroad, there are people who can do a job reasonably well for a lower cost. It's not just about cost. The job must be done adequately. The rise of outsourcing to India and China for jobs outside of manufacturing have to do with the increase in technology making it possible for many office-related jobs being possible to outsource. But these foreign workers needed to train properly. They needed office skills, customer service skills, English skills, etc. Technology met training, and there the jobs go because people in Asia can live off of much less than people can in North America.

This isn't an issue of "OMG, how do we get the jobs back?" It's an issue of "How do we create new jobs?" As technology develops, nations change. Back in the day, there wasn't a telecommunications industry. There also was no Silicon Valley.

America needs to focus on its strengths and on future development, not griping or pining after the "good old days." It doesn't make sense. As been mentioned above, you can't compete with that.

Canada used to be known as "drawers of water and hewers of wood." Now? A majority of our GDP is in services, not resources and commodities. And you know what? We're losing a shit-ton of jobs to China and India as well.

18. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Okay, so we need to push high school kids to get into college for X-Y-Z industries.

How do we get Western White People (WWP) back into any tech of manufacturing jobs?

19. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

One of the greatest challenges (and opportunities) in the U.S. is to reform education. The U.S. is falling behind and it's showing.

The key is to ensure people of all social classes have access to quality education from kindergarten to post-secondary studies.

There is no alternative.

20. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

You fuck the boss you get promoted really quickly, duh.

We have several wars they're just not inspiring anyone. When most folks biggest sacrifice is slapping a yellow ribbon on the ass end of their car they're not really that committed to the cause. In previous war people were asked, told to ration goods and supplies. They collected scrape metal and sold war bonds (see they were nuts they thought if you went to war you had to pay for that war, crazy nut bags.)
    --- merged: Aug 13, 2011 at 12:04 PM ---
    I think that comment about that job being done adequately is important. I recently read where china is in the middle of recalling their new "bullet trains" after one or two crashed and burned.

Plus they not only imported the bridge they brought over their workers to install it. Those workers are making on average less then $20 a day and not paying taxes here on that income. That's simply not a level playing field.