1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

They say marriage leads to drinking...

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Plan9, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

...and why not? It's fun. Everybody always talks about how alcohol ruins relationships, so I want to discuss moderate recreational drinking in this thread as it applies to you and your significant other. I think everybody has fun drinking with their friends but I feel drinking with your partner is somehow different. They're much closer to you. They're the person you've bought a house with, the person that has pushed out your genetic sequel(s).

Very truly I tell you, some of the most fun times I've had have involved being gently sloshed with my partner. As an example, my exwife and I would occasionally spend Friday nights watching crappy sci-fi / horror movies (Battlefield Earth, Ghosts of Mars, MST3K's Mitchell) together while putting back a bottle or two of red wine. My current girlfriend and I like to drink Jack-'n-Coke and play board games like Parcheesi and Scrabble. The taunting is far more brutal and the victory dances are far more extravagant. I won't get into the hot-hot flesh-slapping sex that usually follows these together-time activities; I want the focus here to be on the stuff that you do before you see that look in their eye and toddle off to bump uglies.

Do you drink with just your boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife? If so, on what occasions?

Any funny or weird stories related to being drunk with just your significant other present?

2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I love getting one on with my wife. Sometimes it's just an after work Gin and Tonic and other times, we will work through a bottle or two of wine.

I don't know that I have all that many odd stories but there have been a few humorous moments where drunken sex (in my opinion drunken sex is some of the best sex) let to some odd positions or stupid comments.

3. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Some of my favorite times include getting sloshed with my shignificant othersh. Some of those times include ones where we could not find "uglies" or even remember that we had any to bump. One such time prompted in me a strict 20 year layoff from gin.

I was 22 yrs old, in a small room in Bedford College Hall of Residence in Regent's Park, London. And I remember the pleasure with which my fiancée-to-be and I matched down-in-one toasts from styrofoam cups. She on vodka and I on gin.

By the third 'slug' these down-in-ones just seemed kind of funny and silly .... enough to just go through even more quickly. Too quick for further counting, we removed our clothes for ... no reason whatsoever ... and a curtain of mistiness descended, wavily, like in 1950s films

Next thing I remember, I am in a 'Universe beyond Drunkenness'. I am in a state of self-consciously arrogant pride with a hint of irony as I realise Toto ain't in Kansas any more, oh, and it's all cuz I been guzzling. Yeah, more than a hint of irony. I am suddenly now humble bordering on righteous self-hatred, and reality takes the opportunity to nudge me toward the washbasin in the corner of the room. In my Book of Pissartist Genesis, Vomit-Day had not yet arrived but the premonition of something nasty was compelling. I engaged in the strangely Intellectually Challenging process of arriving at that washbasin, and coldly congratulated myself for the Nobel Prize-worthy idea of propping my head on my hand, as well as for my skill in being able to achieve this on the second attempt.

My fiancée-to-be, meanwhile, writhed and slithered on the polished cork floor in a growing pool of burger-in-blue-cheese-sauce sick, she did mouth obscenities an entire OCTAVE below her normal 'pretty' speaking voice, and twenty times as loud. It was only years later that I realised that this was the sign of something very serious which one day would lead to our divorce ... but that is another story.

Something about what I saw and heard triggered my own ... Vom-cano

My sense of Identity turned inside-out a few times and I became a 20,000-strong Crowd applauding the plug-hole as it did not clog up in the face of my Yellow Deluge. My one finger-poke to get a big lump of undigested bacon down the hole felt like the never-to-be-forgotten moment in the life of a spectator who gets to 'throw the ball back in play' in front of the cheering throng. For that moment, Andy Warhol was right, I was Immortal.

It is a long time since I have recalled my Great Flood in such detail. I remember the aftermath: There were no Doves. There were no olive branches. And feck-no Rainbows or Covenants. I didn't need any.

For Twenty Years, I could not even think of gin without .... without :confused:... wwii-uh ... :eek:

soz bye gotta go

• Like Like x 2
  4. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

So, uh, yeah... I'm going more for activities other than fumble-sex and puking.

I wanted the thread to be more positive. I'm sorry I didn't make that more clear.

5. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

When I was living down in Naples with "thirdsun," we used to drink and watch movies very frequently. Movies and tv shows. In fact, we watched Mad Men and Star Trek The Next Generation almost entirely in a state of tipsy elation. (Things fell apart before we finished Star Trek...it's streaming on Netflix now, btw, so I want to finish watching it one day.) But anyway, I have a lot of fond memories of those nights, we had a lot of fun. Unfortunately it turned out that those nights were one of many "problems" we were having that I wasn't aware of at the time.

Woops, I brought the bummer into it, sorry.

Personally, I had a lot of fun. I would love to find someone to drink and laugh with again. I don't enjoy drinking as much on my own.

6. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I just remembered that my wife calls gin, Panty Remover. (sorry niner...)

7. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

I would think drinking lead to marriage, as well.

8. tfpfreak

tfpfreak New Member

That was absolutely priceless. Thanks for the laugh! :p

9. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Just last night my lady and I shared a lovely bottle of delicious beer—a champagne bottle, actually—over dinner.\

[​IMG]

I proudly take credit for turning her onto all sorts of drinks she never liked before, though she's the first person I ever really actually consumed alcohol with. I guess that trumps me.

10. Lordeden

Lordeden Part of the Problem

I like drinking with my SO and we do it every once in awhile. Usually it's just me consuming the beverages alone as Cinn doesn't drink as much as I do anymore. When we do it is fun, we like going out to bars together and drinking. Baseball games are fun too (for her more for me, I could care less about baseball). We do less drinking at the house and a lot of times we do we are just playing video games.

I'd rather drink with her than anyone else, we are both silly people, so drinking together is always fun.

11. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Whoops Sorry about the OT OTT

OK, let's cut to a few years later. To prime the pump for this story, I'll mention that She and I, by dint of avoiding spirits for reasons mentioned above, had developed an enthusiasm for 'Real Ale', made at a rate of a few hundred proud pints per year in what have recently become known as 'micro breweries', with ingredients and brewing processes which enable the drink to effectively defy the laws of chemistry, and the drinker, less effectively, the laws of physics.

We went on a cycling holiday to Cornwall, South of England. A place of "Argh!" and smuggling, where there had been tin-mining since pre-historic times and stone circles since before that.

We were twenty miles into a forty mile ride, had just reached the top of a, infinitely long and near-vertical hill and rounded a corner. "Lal-Lahhhhhhhhhhhh!" And the voices of Angels did Glorify a little building around which the air shimmered. We muttered the prayer "Feck! DRINK!" and went in.

Five silent locals, carved from the same wood as the bar, became even quieter as they politely ignored us, and the barman paced his approach to the time it took us to choose. There were three Pumps with three labels, of which one of them stood out as - The One: Wreckers Bitter.

Wrecker's Bitter. We ordered a couple of pints, the barman said "Perhaps you'd like half pints", we said "Pints will be OK, thanks", gave our money, and received our pints and 'a look'. We took them to a pair of kitchen chairs at a rough hewn table.

The sun sinking and goldening outside and we inside, in a coolness only to be found in a small building with 18 inch thick stone walls; the past and future collapsed and everything became Now. The wings of a fly flapped increasingly slowly and ground to a halt. A drop from my glass froze, mid splash, into a shining crown of droplets growing from the tabletop. And we were serene. Serene. Could we sit up straight? Check. Could we raise and lower our pints from table to lip and back again in a controlled and responsible manner? Check. Was or speech slurred? No, it was perfectly clear, albeit preternaturally unhurried. Oh it was the more relaxed pace of the countryside. Yes.

The light further goldened, and at last it was time to continue our journey, so we rose from the table and exchanged slow-as-underwater-frond nods with the barman and the others and went out.

Steadily, we walked our cycles to the road and mounted. Perfect balance; perfect poise. We retained this, this calm stillness, as we and our bikes slapped into the hedgerow and we remained, glazed, motionless and in a state of Perfect Peace, in the buzz of bees in the montbretia bush and in the "Good Afternoon" from the locals who, coincidentally, had all chosen that moment to process home toward the approaching sunset.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ktspktsp

ktspktsp Vertical

Sharing a bottle of wine over a NetFlix movie with the wife is a typical Friday or Saturday night, if we are not going out that night :)

13. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I can only think of three instances when I have had a drink when my husband wasn't present. Our first kiss was after I poured him a glass of wine. I really don't have any exciting stories to share, though. My husband loves beer, but I don't care for it at all. He has taught me to appreciate wine, though I still rarely drink it. I'm a lightweight, get dizzy after a few sips. It's rare that we finish a bottle of wine between the two of us.

Oh! Here's a fun story.
    We were in Copenhagen with friends. His polish co-worker invited us over to his place for shots of polish vodka. When I told them I'm a lightweight and I rarely drink, they gave me a half-size shot glass. I had 6 small shots total. That was the most alcohol I have ever consumed. It was delicious, though, so many different types to try. Polish honey vodka was my favorite. We left early, since it became difficult for me to communicate. No, my speech wasn't slurred. My brain automatically shifted into French, I could not speak English after that 6th shot. We went home on the subway, I was walking on air and hubby was laughing at my behavior. Apparently I was dancing and rambling more than usual (in French, of course). I didn't have a hangover the next day, and while he drank less than half of what I consumed, he was nursing a hangover.

14. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

I don't drink. I don't date men who drink more than a glass of something every so often. When my partner is tipsy or drunk around me, I tend to have anxiety issues.

15. Cernunnos

Cernunnos Vertical

Any noticeable drunkenness from a romantic partner tends to unsettle me, and after witnessing it, I don't feel comfortable around them until their normal behavior returns. I've personally witnessed the ugliness that can result from disinhibition and alcohol's effects on emotional stability, and some individuals unfortunately use it as an excuse for thoughtless words and actions.

However, if they simply drank a glass or two and seemed unaffected, I would be fine with that, assuming it's an occasional indulgence and not a regular habit, and I will also sip a bit of wine or beer that hasn't already been tasted, due to curiosity about the flavor. Doing so is harmless and allows me to share the experience with them.

16. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

Exactly.

That and I consider imbibing to (at least) the point of observable tipsiness an indicator of personality traits that are undesirable to me in a romantic partner.

17. I am not married or in a committed relationship, but I am about to go out on a date...to a bar. We have been out before...to bars...and we had some great conversation over a couple of pints. We haven't gotten schnockered, because that just wouldn't be appropriate on a date. We order different pints and try each other's then talk about what we like or didn't like. It's a great conversation and a way to learn about each other's likes and dislikes. Beer and Wine is always a topic for discussion in Oregon.

18. kramus

kramus what I might see

I enjoy a drink or two from time to time. I used to drink for effect when I was a youngster. Found I didn't like being past that point of physical and mental acuity that allows walking straight lines and remembering how to speak.

My Lady & I enjoy a glass of wine once a week or so, and every few weeks I might have a shot of liquor. The unfortunate thing in our household is that my Lady lacks an enzyme necessary for the processing of alcohol. Which means she doesn't get drunk but after a couple of sips of anything alcoholic she turns pink, gets rather dizzy, and sometimes feels a bit nauseous. In short order the raw alcohol is exhaled through her skin and breath as if she'd been chugging vodka from the bottle, and she is chilled because vasodilation pushes the blood to the skin's surface and drops her core temperature. This is a bummer for her because she likes the taste of wine, scotch, brandy . . . and it's a bummer for me because I'd rather have a lively Lady than a supine and stupified stump of a woman who can only lay back and receive.

So we enjoy some social drinking, but in extreme moderation and with tightly curtailed possibilities around fun and frolic.

19. Freeload

Freeload Getting Tilted

I love to share a glass (or two) of wine with my wife. We don't do that very often (less than once a month) so it's a special time for us. It also makes intellectual games (like brain training on the Wii) more fun and intense.
    None of us like the "world-spinning-drunk-beyond-repair" state, so it's just moderate - but we still have a good time.

20. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

LBC is very reluctant to drink at all with me, usually because she doesn't want to so much as touch a beer when we have junior with us, which is, well, always. She was a blast to talk with over a few drinks when we first met, though. I think I need to buy her a babysitter and a funnel.