1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Things in the news

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Haha. I think I just started a new round of rumors. I shared the link this morning on fb after I read it, three of my friends so far have shared it since...
    I don't think I'm going to tell them the truth now. :D

2. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

3. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

An update on the stories I posted yesterday about Australia spying on President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyonos phones.

Indonesia officially downgrades its relationship with Australia | World news | theguardian.com

And some related stories...

Indonesia halts all military co-operation | smh.com.au

No Cookies | thetelegraph.com.au - The cookieless story is about Indonesia stopping their cooperation with our newest people smuggling policies

Live cattle exporters concerned about spying scandal - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  4. curiousbear

curiousbear Terse & Bizarre

5. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Queensland blokes terrified by snake on ute

I can't work out how to share the video. It's pretty funny. They scream & swear a bit, but the news site has beeped it out. The originals on youtube aren't as good. Longer and unedited.

6. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

As a part of this system, this is actually a good thing. It seems odd, but we expected reports to rise because we've been making a concentrated effort to address the problem. More reports mean that more people feel able to come forward, and that trust in the system is increasing. It'll be a long process, but once more cases are revealed, proper care can be rendered, and the offenders found and punished. It looks bad in the short term, but it's good for the long term health of the organization.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

9. redux

redux Very Tilted

Two Senate Democrats have competing bill to address the issue of the growing number of military assaults and how they are reported and adjudicated and Republicans are blocking both.

10. Borla

11. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

12. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Man distracted by phone almost steps on snake

The video is here;
    Man distracted by phone almost steps on snake

13. redux

redux Very Tilted

A Game Plan for Holiday Conversations about Government - Public Works

14. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

15. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Albany businessman Brian Vincent Attwell found guilty of attempting to hire hitman to murder estranged daughter-in-law

Albany businessman Brian Vincent Attwell found guilty of attempting to hire hitman to murder estranged daughter-in-law Michelle Patreena Attwell - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

16. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I think it would be rather funny if it were true. That said Lindy got a point too.

Too many lawsuits in the US in my opinion. I know Jack shit about the Samsung/Apple suit so perhaps it's not worth less. However so many are anymore it seems.

Of course the flip side of that is what living in Mexico is like where people and businesses do crazy shit because there's no recourse for any damage/harm they cause.

17. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

Apple Complains About Court's E-Book Antitrust Monitor, Fees - Peter Kafka - News - AllThingsD
    Even for top lawyers, $1,100/hour is absurd. It's sort of amusing that they're trying to fix 'price fixing' with a lawyer who is obviously taking advantage of the fact that Apple has to pay him what he demands by order of the court.

18. curiousbear

curiousbear Terse & Bizarre

...... Actually products with negative reviews sell more than the products with no reviews. (Heard in NPR FM today)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Borla

20. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

] Council bans deep sighs

Council bans deep sighs | Fremantle Herald Interactive