1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Things in the news

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

• Like Like x 2
  2. girldetective

girldetective Getting Tilted

The Huffington Post , 05/14/2015:

Cuba's Had A Lung Cancer Vaccine For Years, And Now It's Coming To The U.S.

3. itwasme

itwasme But you'll never prove it.

4. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Funny in places, but in its effort to satisfy the "every flag" premise, that article just tries way too hard.:rolleyes: Some of her comments are as stupid as some of the flags.:(

7. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Generation unprepared: The school and university leavers with ‘no skills to work at all’ | NT News

My Dad has been saying this as long as i can remember.

8. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Now that it's impossible (because too expensive) to support oneself during college by working, most students don't work.

Back in the 1970s, I knew college students who had little or no money from parents, who worked full time all summer and part time during the school year, and paid with their wages for tuition, books, expenses, etc.

It was called "working your way through school."

Even with the assistance of student loans, I expect such people are rare today.

• Like Like x 2
  9. redux

redux Very Tilted

Where will all the cool toys and stuffed animals go to live?

• Like Like x 2
  10. POPEYE

POPEYE Very Tilted

Anybody want to comment on the D.Trump presidential nomination? Does the GOP or the public take him seriously? I voted twice for our sitting President, however I'm not at all sure if Mrs. Clinton can develop and or maintain our domestic needs. Mr. Trump claims he will be the best "jobs" President that GOD himself has ever made. Quite the Ego. Is he all mouth and no ass? Is she?

11. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Slow news day...
    Mr Fluffy: Long-lost hammer returned to tradesman in demolition - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

12. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Pre-loved motorcycle jackets help homeless sleep better at night - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

13. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

I did it in the nineties, although it took me six years. With four brothers and sisters, I got very little financial help from Mom and Dad. I did get a reliable hand-me-down car from a great uncle, I paid for my car expenses and insurance. I won a Regents Scholarship, so my tuition and some of the student fees were paid by the state of Kansas.:) Working my way through school helped establish the frugal (some would say cheap) habits that I still have today.

Later when I went to grad school I had shoeboxes full of cash from three years working as a dancer. A good stripper can save a lot of dough if she doesn't spend it all on booze, drugs, and parasitic boyfriends.

I remember the similar bear that used to sit outside their (also now closed) store at corner of Boylston at Berkeley in Boston.

14. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

The economy has changed, plain and simple. Part-time work doesn't pay what it once did, and hours aren't in favor of people working their way through school. Scheduling is unpredictable at best. I held a few simple part-time jobs during school. One of the major problems was that I never knew from week to week what my schedule would be. This is a common occurrence in both retail and food service at all levels now. Plus, since 2008, the underemployed are competition for those looking to work part-time, which makes it even more difficult to acquire favorable part-time work.

I face a similar issue now. My regular job pays well, upwards of $20/hr. My MIL doesn't understand why I'm unwilling to work for $9.25/hr (most part-time jobs don't pay more than minimum wage these days). I'm also not willing to find out my next week's schedule on Thursday anymore. I have a Master's degree and shouldn't have to put up with that shit. As it is, I did find a part-time job tangentially in my field that pays more than minimum wage and has a flexible and fun schedule. I start next week, and it will continue on until my regular job picks up again!

As I've illustrated in the past, tuition costs and unfavorable working conditions make the whole "working your way through college" thing impossible. Most part-time jobs are capped at 20 hours a week; you might get 32 if you're lucky. Consider that 1 credit at my alma mater costs $283. At my state's minimum wage, which is one of the highest in the nation, it would take 30.6 hours of work to make enough money to pay for 1 credit. Of course, few people take just 1 credit, and the standard load is from 12-16. Let's say someone takes the "typical" load of 15 credits: 307.6 hours of work for a term's worth of classes. That's just tuition, and doesn't include fees, books, food, rent, or utilities. In a 10-week term, that's over 30 hours of work a week, which is really difficult to secure with the typical part-time job.

Certainly, there is some leeway gained by working in the summer, but again, the same scenario plays itself out: wages are flat and hours are limited.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Mascho Piro tribe: Peruvian government to make first contact with indigenous rainforest tribe - Americas - World - The Independent

This'll be interesting to watch. Can you imagine being part of the team trying to communicate with them? I wonder if they'll all come out alive?

16. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Shark attack claims life of scallop diver off Tasmania's Maria Island - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

17. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Six stabbed as assailant repeats gay pride attack in Jerusalem, police say - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

18. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Farm employers 'manipulate' female backpackers into sexual acts in return for Australian visa sign-off - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

They know it's happening, they have complaints, they know the stations involved...
    Why do nothing? These backpackers are carrying Australias reputation back home by word of mouth.
    "Yeah it's a beautiful country to visit, a bit rapey in the remote areas"

19. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Piggie the echidna from Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary stolen by masked pair | Gold Coast Bulletin

20. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Kermit and Miss Piggy call it quits after 40 years of Muppet love - TODAY.com