1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Things in the news

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Jul 2, 2013.

1. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Hilda's always been around.

2. Interesting concept. Which brings the question: would you? I think I would. At 60 I would like to know if I have 20 years left. Or less or hopefully more. If it said 7 years I would retire now and enjoy the time. If it said I'd live to 90 I'd have to realize it can't measure everything but it would be comforting. What about you?

Laser test to tell us when we will die | The Sunday Times

3. Our plugged in lifestyle is quite a drain on energy. I have no doubt it is enormous as a nation, however I find the following quote a bit difficult to believe. Maybe so, but the author isn't forced to prove his math.

Regardless of its accuracy, servers have become tremendously more efficient. And will continue to do so, along with all other electronic devices mentioned in this article.

Your iPhone uses more energy than a refrigerator - The Week

4. amonkie

amonkie Very Tilted

5. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Freetofly

Freetofly Diving deep into the abyss

I have to reply this Craven Morehead only because my trip back from Germany, actually flew out of Brussels, but it was a long flight.
    The guy next to me had the window seat, sat there for 8 and 1/2 hrs with not getting up at all. My first thought was he is wearing a diaper, haha.
    I really don't know though, I was up four times just to stretch my legs. I really enjoyed this trip!

7. Freetofly in 2005 I flew from Narita to Hartsfield and never left my seat once the plane departed.

Like a race horse once in ATL though.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I test drove the used Saturn SL2 that I purchased from a dealer in South Salem around the area where that film was shot. You could see the facility from the road.

9. FreeVerse

FreeVerse Screw Tilted, I'm all the way upside down.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sunshine

Sunshine Vertical

11. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

And in Australian news...
    (haha,
    i can't post links until i've had 10 posts,
    please google search "Australian election shut up")

How does the TFP community think America would react if the Republican presidential candidate told Obama to "shut up" in a Presidential debate?
    Two weeks before the election.

12. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

I saw your comment and immediately thought you'd be referring to the new law that you now have to buy a registration sticker for your inner tube. Seriously, if you float in a lake or river in IL on an inner tube, now you have to buy the same registration as a small boat.

Sidenote - the adhesive on the stickers won't stick to rubber once it is wet.

13. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

14. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Ha! I had a mental image of two football players exchanging websites or something while they were waiting for their dogs' checkups. (I, uh, don't follow the Phillies OR the Eagles, in my defense.)

• Like Like x 1
  15. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

We have to register our canoe out here because of invasive species (see: Zebra mussel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). There's no sticker, but we're obligated to carry the registration tucked into our PFD at all times in case we get stopped by DFW or anyone else. It's kind of a pain. In the three plus years I've owned my canoe, we've yet to be stopped or asked to show our permit.

My canoe is not huge (this picture is from the Clipper website and representative of what people looked like while paddling it in the late 80s when my canoe was built):
    [​IMG]

16. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Canoes and kayaks have needed stickers here for as long as I can remember. Needing one if you use a floaty in the lake is new.

17. redux

redux Very Tilted

John Lennon's tooth, bought for $31,000 in auction in 2011, is back in the news with hopes of cloning Lennon 2.0