1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Things in the news

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Jul 2, 2013.

1. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  2. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Train-truck smash causes transport chaos in Melbourne's southeast

A TRAIN has smashed into a truck at a level crossing, causing massive delays for peak-hour drivers and commuters in Melbourne's southeast.The truck was obstructing a level crossing near Bonbeach station, on the Frankston line, when a city-bound train collided with it at 6.20am.Victoria Police spokeswoman Julie-Anne Newman said the truck driver suffered minor injuries.No other injuries were reported.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  3. Good news today. Cameron can not send more of our children to bleed in a foreign sandy oily place. I should imagine he is trying to figure out a way around the vote over breakfast. Mind boggles. Our troops come back from Afghanistan, and get made redundant, lose their family accomodation - out they go, couple of quid in their pocket and good riddance. Where was he intending to get his new troops from? 17yr olds?

4. redux

redux Very Tilted

Banned Books Week--Celebrating the Freedom to Read is next month and one of the highlights of the Week is the Top Ten List of Frequently Challenged Books, compiled annually by the American Library Association Office for Intellectual Freedom:

This came out several months ago, but I just came across the top ten most challenged books of 2012
    1. Captain Underpants (series), by Dav Pilkey.Reasons: Offensive language, unsuited for age group
    2. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie.Reasons: Offensive language, racism, sexually explicit, unsuited for age group
    3. Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher.Reasons: Drugs/alcohol/smoking, sexually explicit, suicide, unsuited for age group
    4. Fifty Shades of Grey, by E. L. James.Reasons: Offensive language, sexually explicit
    5. And Tango Makes Three, by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson.Reasons: Homosexuality, unsuited for age group
    6. The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini.Reasons: Homosexuality, offensive language, religious viewpoint, sexually explicit
    7. Looking for Alaska, by John Green.Reasons: Offensive language, sexually explicit, unsuited for age group
    8. Scary Stories (series), by Alvin SchwartzReasons: Unsuited for age group, violence
    9. The Glass Castle, by Jeanette WallsReasons: Offensive language, sexually explicit
    10. Beloved, by Toni MorrisonReasons: Sexually explicit, religious viewpoint, violence
    A challenge is defined as a formal, written complaint filed with a library or school requesting that a book or other material be restricted or removed because of its content or appropriateness. In 2012, OIF received 464 reports on attempts to remove or restrict materials from school curricula and library bookshelves. This is an increase from 2011 totals, which stood at 326 attempts.

The self-righteous right never ceases to amaze in their zeal to restrict our freedoms.

• Like Like x 1
  5. New walking shark discovered in Indonesia? It's not the first - chicagotribune.com

Video at above.

So a shark walks into a bar...

• Like Like x 1
  6. redux

redux Very Tilted

The future of art in the US is in good hands....if we dont kill it through lack of funding and support.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I was in the Cannon tunnel in May. To say it is sterile is an understatement. What an exceptional venue for these works of art.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
  9. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Tourist, Ryan Blair speaks after being stranded on a Kimberley island for two weeks being stalked by 6m crocodile
    A NEW Zealand kayaker prayed for his life as he was kept hostage on a remote Australian island by a giant crocodile he believed would devour him at any moment.
    Ryan Blair had an amazing escape after becoming trapped on a remote island off the coast of Western Australia for more than two weeks by the massive crocodile that wouldn't let him leave.

The 37-year-old had been exploring the northern WA coast near Kalumburu, which is between Derby and Kununurra. Having been left on the remote Governor Island, the Kiwi realised he didn't have enough supplies and tried to paddle the 4km back to the mainland.

But he immediately caught the eye of the six-meter saltwater crocodile that had lived in the area for years.

Every time he tried to leave, the crocodile would make his presence felt, leaving the adventurer fearing for his life and stranded for more than a fortnight.

"He was about four meters away from me and I thought 'this is it,''' Mr Blair said.

"It was so close, and if this croc wanted to take me it would not have been an issue.

"I was scared for my life - I was hard core praying for God to save me.''

On Saturday, local Don MacLeod spotted a light on the island, and when he checked it out, the hatless, shirtless and desperate visitor approached.

"He was relieved and shocked, and thankful someone had come along because he was running out of options pretty quickly,'' Mr MacLeod told ABC radio.

"He is a very, very lucky man.''

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/new-zealand-tourist-reportedly-stranded-on-island-in-the-kimberly-after-being-stalked-by-6m-crocodile/story-fnhocxo3-1226709125380

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

:cool:
    Ariel Castro is dead. He either commited suicide, or maybe he had some help, either way it's a good thing.

EDIT: Well, shit, I'm not yet allowed to post links.

11. redux

redux Very Tilted

12. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

13. Foodborne Illness - Men's Health

amazing

14. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

15. redux

redux Very Tilted

Cow tipping...physics says no.

Cow tipping fake: Debunking a persistent rural legend. - Slate Magazine