1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Things in the news

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Jul 2, 2013.

• Like Like x 1
  1. redux

redux Very Tilted

I am all for disability rights, but something about this just makes me say "huh?"

Iowa grants permits for blind residents to carry guns in public

2. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Senate hurdle to Tony Abbott's agenda
    Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

3. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

• Like Like x 2
  4. But I like moist. And I like the word following it. I really like them in conjunction with each other.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Ha. I definitely like 2 3.
    And what's wrong with 5?
    I'm not a fan of 1 or 8

6. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

7. Misguided

Misguided Vertical

8. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Australia decides: politics is a man's game - The Drum (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Australia decides: politics is a man's game

9. redux

redux Very Tilted

Two million bikers (probably more like 5,000) are coming through DC today to commemorate 9/11, not w/o controversy. They requested a permit to essentially block city streets so that they could proceed through their route unimpeded and the city denied it.

10. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Camel cheese a world first

The world's first commercially-produced camel cheese has hit supermarket shelves in the Middle East.
    A dairy was established in Dubai in 2006, with just 100 camels.
    Kirsten Lange, from Emirates Industry for Camel Milk and Products, says it's grown to more than 3,400 camels, staffed by 250 employees.
    "We have an automatic machine quite similar to cows," she said.
    "Again this is the first ever.
    "It has been developed especially for camel milking because the camel needs the feeling that the calf is sucking.
    "If you cannot really artificially create that feeling, the camel won't give milk.
    "The challenge with camels is they give a lot less milk than cows, seven litres per day as opposed to 25 litres and more."
    Ms Lange says the camel milk is now being used in three new cheese products, ice-cream and chocolate, that are all growing in popularity.
    Kirsten Lange, Emirates Industry for Camel Milk & Products

"The cheeses are actually quite smooth in taste," she said.
    "It's quite close to cow's cheese.
    "I always say you might not even taste the difference."

Camel cheese a world first - ABC Rural (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

11. Hunter: I killed a chupacabra

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Nothing about this makes any sense to me. ('Cellphone Apps. Killed My Daughter')
    I _know_ it's happened before but this 12- y.o. girl's suicide happened even as her mom was trying to stay actively involved.*

*Not cool tho' that the girl was dating at age 11-12. Also, the phone should have been removed from her life when Facebook went as well.

Girl's Suicide Points to Rise in Apps Used by Cyberbullies

Rebecca Ann Sedwick, 12, leaped to her death from a platform at an abandoned cement plant near her home in Florida, apparently one of a growing list of children driven to suicide after online taunting.

13. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

14. redux

redux Very Tilted

One giant leap for frogkind

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. redux

redux Very Tilted

16. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

And in Western Australian news...

Thousands of teachers, principals and support staff walk off the job to protest cuts
    It is estimated about 15,000 teachers, support staff and even some students filled the grandstand, holding school banners and angry signs.
    The industrial action comes after weeks of tension since education job cuts and a hiring freeze were announced.
    Representatives from the Teachers Union, United Voice and the Public Sector Union addressed the crowd.
    Thousands of teachers, principals and support staff walk off the job to protest cuts - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

WA loses its AAA credit rating as revenue declines and debt blows out
    Western Australia has been stripped of its AAA credit rating by a global credit ratings agency which lowered its rating to AA+.
    Ratings agency Standard and Poor's says the downgrade has occurred because of declining revenues and a blow-out in the state's debt.
    It is the first time in a decade that WA has not had a AAA credit rating, and Premier Colin Barnett has conceded he bears some responsibility.
    "What role did the government play in this downgrade?" he asked.
    "The only thing I can say is maybe we're guilty of trying to do too much too quickly, maybe we need to slow down a little bit."
    Mr Barnett has foreshadowed drastic budget measures to try to get the credit rating back up, including the potential sale of state assets.
    WA loses its AAA credit rating as revenue declines and debt blows out - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

17. Taliesin

Taliesin Slightly Tilted

Qantas pilots praised for averting mid-air crash over Adelaide following air-traffic control blunder | News.com.au

A MID-AIR disaster was avoided by seconds over Adelaide yesterday when two Qantas pilots ignored traffic-control directions which put them on a collision path.It is understood, the passenger jets came within about 200m of a mid-air disasterjust 19km west of the city about lunch time.The planes flew into the recognised danger zone in clear skies over Gulf St Vincent after a traffic-control blunder resulted in one plane being given permission to fly directly toward the other.The pilots reacted to on-board warning systems and changed the positions to avert a mid-air catastrophe