1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Things that everyone likes but you don't - and why

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Craven Morehead, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Tophat665

Tophat665 Slightly Tilted

In that case, let me mix you a cocktail...

• Like Like x 1
  2. Trinten

Trinten New Member

Reality Television - if I want reality, I'll go outside. I turn on the television for stuff that isn't outside.

Social Networking websites - I've told so many people who asked me "why aren't you on FB" that I actually have a full blown speech, but to spare those who have no interest or short attention spans, I'll summarize: It propagates undue narcissism. It goes on with the expectation the one thinks they are so interesting that all of their friends will be willing to mine through a post filled with things that they are not interested in, to try to find something that they are (and that thing is likely part of the basis of the friendship). It's horribly impersonal, and I feel encourages negative behavior via semi-voyeuristic tendencies.

Phone "txt" messages - it's a phone. If you want to send me text, do it at a computer, and send it to my email. If you can send it to my email from your phone, you'd better use proper spelling if you actually expect me to read it. I won't go "grammar police" on someone, because I know I make grammar mistakes, but I do not use inane abbreviations for simple words.

Mushrooms - People always say 'well try this kind, cooked that way'. I have. They're all horrible.
    --- merged: Nov 18, 2011 12:18 AM ---
    Though I can guess the "why" on most of these, aren't we supposed to be posting our own personsal "whys", so that people aren't guessing?
    --- merged: Nov 18, 2011 12:27 AM ---
    Only if they're overcooked - at which point, I totally agree with you. Properly cooked breaded calamari should have a very similar texture to properly boiled/cooked shrimp.

Someone else posted about olives - I must agree, the only exception for me is "Greek" or Kalamata olives. However the ones that have been pitted have an odd, "tinny" taste. I get the ones with the pits still in them, usually.

3. Canthook

Canthook Vertical

The thought of being insanely rich. While it's fun to think about what you could do with (virtually) unlimited cash, I know it's not good for a person to have everything he thinks he wants all the time. If I actually had huge piles of cash, I'd feel a responsibility to try and fix all the problems I see around me. The more you look into it, the more problems you find, and realize that no one has enough to fix everything. Also, I would spend an inordinate amount of time worrying about managing investments, how much I've lost, who's trying to take it away, etc. It would also be difficult to trust anyone. How can you make new friends if you're always thinking they just want something?
    Being famous would suck for the same reasons. Even if you're not rich, people assume you are because you're famous. Ick.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

I have thought/said more than once that I would rather be wealthy and anonymous. No need for the billionaire club or anything like that, I would just like to be more financially independent and debt free. I would buy just an ordinary house even then, and just be paying cash for it. Same for the cars - a new car that depreciates instantly is pointless to me no matter what your bank balance when you can a used vehicle in "like new" condition.

5. ngdawg

ngdawg Getting Tilted

I love you. And whoever said coffee makes them gag-I love them too.

Waffles-the smell of them is another gag-inducer.
    Whiskey-I just don't get why anyone would drink that shit.
    Big words-most of what we say can be said one syllable at a time. I am not impressed.
    Larry David. wtf?
    Dane Cook. double WTF?

6. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

hang on - young children have to eat too!
    --- merged: Nov 24, 2011 5:59 AM ---
    I'm so happy I live in a city where it is super easy to get fresh seafood. That is all!

7. Tophat665

But they don't need to eat at a restaurant where people have presumably come to get away from their loud, obnoxious children.

• Like Like x 2
  8. wyopen

wyopen Getting Tilted

Fear Factor - TV
    Vampire movie cult in the movies

9. Tr710

Tr710 New Member

Baseball - boring. I thought watching the Mariners with my friends while drinking beer would make it interesting, but it didn't. I left with another friend at the end of the 7th inning. And the Mariners were winning, too.
    Golf - I don't consider any sport that a 50-year-old can compete on par with a 20-year-old a sport. It's also incredibly wasteful building and maintaining the golf course.
    NASCAR - driving in a circle all day long is stupid.
    Drag racing - accelerating really fast in a straight line for XX length is also stupid.
    Mayonaise and ketchup - bland.
    White chocolate - It's not chocolate. It's a solid form of condensed milk plus one or two non-chocolate ingredients.

10. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

Another on the "not everyone likes category" in the food list list - Margarine. It cannot be a good sign if it takes a solid five minutes to melt into liquid form over steady applied heat, and the taste does nothing good for whatever dish it is used in.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tophat665

I believe it's yoghurt...

12. thetemplarswife

thetemplarswife Vertical

Coffee...I love the smell of it but the taste is absolutely disgusting!
    Jersey Shore and Teen Mom....Both are very inappropriate for teenagers and that seems to be their target audience.
    Zoos......I abhore the mistreatment of animals. In addition, I dont think that animals should be confined. Yes, I know sometimes its for the animals benefit, but still.
    Circus....Just because.

13. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

couldn't say it better myself...

14. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

Agreed. Margarine is disgusting.
    French fries don't taste good to me anymore. I wonder if it's because they stopped using lard to fry them?
    Beer. Every beer I've ever tried. After one, I'm all done. They aren't bad, necessarily-- I just don't have the urge to continue sucking them down.

• Like Like x 1
  15. wyopen

wyopen Getting Tilted

The F word. Don't understand why it's so popular.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tophat665

Because the activity is quite fun and the word is exceptionally versatile.
    / Different strokes and all.
    // Taking everything I have not to use it in this post right now....

• Like Like x 2
  17. uncle phil

uncle phil Moderator Emeritus (and sorely missed) Staff Member Donor

because it sounds like "firetruck" with the middle cut out... :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Here, this will explain....

19. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

Explain.

20. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

Did anyone else notice all the fucking spelling errors in this! WTF?