1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Things You Freeze

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by EventHorizon, Jan 13, 2012.

1. streak_56

streak_56 I'm doing something, going somewhere...

My sex life... oh... ouch

2. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I don't really freeze all that much. I buy what I need and then eat it.

I currently have some turkey carcasses that I am going to make into stock, some pastry, ice packs and ice.

That's about it.

(in my opinion, freezing chocolate makes it taste like sawdust... I always want my chocolate at room temperature).

3. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I hate the way frozen bread tastes, thaws, etc. That's just me.

4. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Homemade baby food. I purée our appropriate left-overs, pour them into containers, label, and freeze. I pull one out every morning to send to day care. Over time there's a decent variety that builds up.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

I made homemade baby food for the first six months-ish of Little Levite's life (before he got used to solider solid foods), and got little ice cube trays to freeze it in single-serve portions. Worked great.

In the summers I freeze grapes sometimes. I also like to get frozen tart red cherries (like packaged frozen and pre-pitted) and use them in place of ice cubes in my diet Coke. Frozen strawberries also work well for that.

Often, I'll keep a bar of bittersweet chocolate in the freezer: not for eating whole, but for when I want to garnish a plated dessert. Chocolate is way easier to shave or grate when frozen.

On occasion, if I make stock, I'll freeze that.

My main freezer (the one in the fridge in the kitchen) is mostly full of frozen veggies and fruits in case I need a timesaver when cooking, and the very occasional "frozen food" items we use (veggie sausage/bacon and ice cream, mostly). The secondary freezer (the one in the fridge in the garage) is the meat freezer. I have a few backup meat items there in case of cooking emergency (some stew beef, a few pieces of chicken), but mostly it's dedicated to the meat items that I have to special order online: venison, duck, goose, bison, specialty sausages, beef or lamb bacon, and things of that sort. These kind of things are incredibly hard to find kosher, especially if one is interested in organic, free-range, grass-fed, etc.

6. omega

omega Very Tilted

Warts?

• Like Like x 1
  7. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Similarly, I always keep a block of mozzarella in the freezer, as it's easier to run through the food processor when semi-frozen, and we keep our ginger root in the freezer, as it will keep longer and grate more easily.

• Like Like x 2
  8. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

really? I'm going to have to try this

• Like Like x 1
  9. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Me, too. Mine always gets moldy before I can use it. Do you peel it first?

10. Levite

Levite Levitical Yet Funky

Actually, if you freeze ginger, the peel becomes so thin and brittle that you can just grate it in with what you need for the recipe: you'll never notice it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

I don't know if I posted this but I freeze butter. With the heat here it helps to keep it colder longer when making pastry. Also, you grate it when it's frozen making it easier to cut into the flour.

• Like Like x 2
  12. snowy

I often store butter in some quantity in my freezer for this purpose. I buy it at Costco 4lbs at a time, so it makes sense to do it that way.

13. snowy

As mentioned in the pizza thread, I throw any remaining pizza dough I have into a well-oiled freezer bag and freeze it. I typically defrost it in the fridge. However, it can also be defrosted in a warm water bath (make sure the water is no hotter than 120, or you'll kill the yeast) to speed up the process.

14. Shahbaj New Member

We freeze meat & fishes.

15. hamsterball

hamsterball Seeking New Outlets

Do you notice any difference in the dough once it's baked up? Does it rise less? Just curious?

16. snowy

It actually has a really nice chew and a little bit of extra crispiness to it. If anything, it gets better!

17. snowy

I spent an hour or so yesterday putting together some things that will make our lives easier this week and in the future.

1) I cooked up a whole box of whole wheat rotini. I portioned part of it out into 1-cup servings in little lunch-size containers and put about 1/4 cup spicy red pepper sauce over the top. So now there are 3 frozen lunches of rotini pasta ready to grab and go.
    2) I cooked up a mess of white beans in the slow cooker, portioned them out into quart-size ziplocks, and froze them.
    3) I mixed up a batch of straight dough (not particularly pizza or bread dough), put about 1/3 of it in the fridge, and portioned the remaining 2/3rds into 4 dough balls, all in oiled quart bags.
    4) Using my lovely Zojirushi rice cooker, I cooked up 2 cups of brown rice, some of which we ate for dinner with our green curry, and some of which I portioned out into plastic wrap, twisted up (not so firm as to be like a onigiri or omusubi) into a ball, and put into a gallon ziplock.
    5) The remaining coconut milk from making green curry for dinner went into the freezer.

18. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

Since I shop at Costco and it's just me in the house, I've got all kinds of stuff in the freezer.
    Butter, cheese, tortillas, edamame, vodka, steaks, and chicken breasts.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lindy

Lindy Moderator Staff Member

Hatch chiles are in season, so I bought a half bushel at about .80/lb. I fire roasted about half of them, stuffed a few with cream cheese and sausage, chopped up the others and froze them all in zip lock bags. We eat a lot of green chile with pork in the winter.

@redravin, I'm curious, why would you freeze vodka?

• Like Like x 1
  20. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I learned it from Russians who live Alaska.
    The vodka doesn't really freeze but it gets slushy and that way when you when you make drinks you don't have to add much ice.

They drank it with drops of orange, lemon, mint, or clove oil (this was before all the flavored vodkas) and shot it cold.
    My only advice is never try to keep with Russians when they are drinking vodka.
    You will suffer.