1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on the remake of Dirty Dancing

Discussion in 'Tilted Entertainment' started by Speed_Gibson, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

They are doing a remake of Dirty Dancing. The best possible news I read about it so far is that the film's original choreographer, Kenny Ortega, will direct the remake.
    My initial thoughts are with the slew of comments on CNN slamming the very idea but I would give it a fair chance.

2. EyeSeePeeDude

EyeSeePeeDude Getting Tilted

Nobody puts Baby in the corner...

3. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Resident Loser Donor

Seems like a lot of Patrick Swayze's movies are being remade- first Red Dawn and now this?

It warms my heart though, that there is no plan to remake Road House, because as any red-blooded heterosexual American male knows, you cannot improve on such cinematic perfection. :cool:

4. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

I would totally say that about Dirty Dancing. :)

Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK, PEOPLE? Get some original ideas, already. I'm tired of remakes, especially remakes that suck.

5. MeltedMetalGlob

There's a remake that doesn't suck? :confused:;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

What Cinn said - how about doing something original, you idiots.

7. CinnamonGirl

Touche.

8. I want to punch Hollywood in the face.

There is also going to be a remake of Footloose.

9. Speed_Gibson

*Grabs pitchforks and torches to setup mob for march on hollywood studios. *

10. MeltedMetalGlob

You might have to stand in line for that. ;)

11. Speed_Gibson

I keep expecting to hear about Back to the Future remake. Some clown out there would probably think that Justin Beiber would make the perfect new Martin McFly Jr.

No doubt a brand new Chevy/Ford/"Highest Bidder that wants to show off their new model" would be the new time machine.

12. CinnamonGirl

:eek: That is just blasphemy and I will not allow you to talk like that. Don't even THINK about it.

*cries*

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

To answer your question seriously, John Carpenter's remake of The Thing was pretty good, also, it's being remade, or should I say, a prequel is being made about it that takes place at the Norwegian camp. :)

Anyway, Dirty Dancing was a good movie with a great soundtrack, and unless they can get a stellar cast and soundtrack, they won't recapture lightning in a bottle.
    I don't think they should remake it.

14. PonyPotato

PonyPotato Very Tilted

Nobody puts Baby in the 21st century..

I don't want to see this. Havana Nights was bad enough.

• Like Like x 1
  15. fresnelly

fresnelly Getting Tilted

Call me when they remake The Lambada.

Seriously though, I don't care. The new generation can have their entertainments and I can still appreciate mine. The first Batman movie was made way back in the 40's and there will be Batman movies made far in the future long after I'm dead.

16. EyeSeePeeDude

EyeSeePeeDude Getting Tilted

Why would you branch out and watch Havana Nights?

17. MeltedMetalGlob

I stand corrected. Actually, Carpenter's remake is so good that it makes the original seem like a worthless yawnfest by comparison. :cool:

(I mean that in the nicest possible way.)

18. sapiens

sapiens Vertical

Remakes don't generally bother me. A remake of Dirty Dancing does sound stupid. Jennifer Gray's character will probably be played by some Disney creation. Still, it doesn't bother me nearly as much as the thought of a Back to the Future remake. I was surprised by my reaction.

19. MeltedMetalGlob

Further thinking on this has produced an idea: Perhaps Hollywood should forget the remakes and just start re-issuing old prints of the original films, with the idea that every screening should be something along the lines of "Rocky Horror Picture Show".

I haven't seen Dirty Dancing, but I know Road House would be be a surefire hit. Can you imagine 300 people in a theater, all wearing mullets and razor-bladed cowboy boots, mumbling Sam Elliot's dialog ("Don't eat the big white mint") and pretending to tear each other's throats out with the patented "three-fingered eagle-talon" strike?

Man, that'd be awesome. Count me in. :cool:

20. wolf Evil Grin

Can no one write anything original anymore? They made a sequel to Dirty Dancing a few years ago and it did horribly, so why they think that a remake would be any better is beyond me. I'm not a huge Dirty Dancing fan or anything, but it was done, leave it alone.