1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Tilted Automotive

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by AlabamaMan1968, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Do we have a Tilted Automotive thread in 5.0? I can't seem to find one. As an automotive buff and ASE certified technician, I'm always looking to find other people who like to just talk cars and trucks, or who need help or advice on anything having to do with cars. So did I miss the thread? or is this one now it?...lol

2. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

We don't have a dedicated section. If there's enough treads and posts to create one, we'll be happy to, but for now, you can create threads here in Tilted Gear.

3. OK, thanks. So I'll start off one thing by asking.... What do you drive? Post photos if you have them.

No photos yet, but I'll work on it.
    1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    1975 Chevy Cheyenne pickup with a custom built 383 stroker.

4. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

A 1980 Chevrolet Malibu Wagon. With a little somethin'-somethin' in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

"little somethin"!! Obviously you have way too much heavy stuff in back causing your front wheels to be off the ground...how the hell do you steer it that way?

j/k, BC...that looks like a real fun car
    --- merged: Sep 21, 2011 2:35 AM ---
    We have an '04 Acura TSX which wifey drives, and mine is an '07 RAV4 LTD. We got both of these when new and they've been perfectly reliable and enjoyable as daily drivers.

My "fun" car is a '95 Supra which I've had for 10 years. It was barely used with no mods when I bought it but over the years I've done stuff to it which make it more fun for me. It has plenty of power but since I take it to roadcourse "track days" a few times a year I didn't want to just go for huge power when responsiveness is what I really like and need on the twisty roads. So now I'm happy with it ...at least for the time being since this moding thing can become a never ending story if it gets out of control.

Here's a couple from a recent track day:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and a couple weeks ago there was a local benefit car show for a good cause and these are two pics somebody took at the show:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Hey Bear Cub! Nice job photoshopping the jack stands out of those shots:p

Nice thread. Nice pics. Nice cars.

7. Nice Supra. The only thing I would be worried about is the lack of air filtration into the turbo chargers. Or do you have them out for display?

8. BadNick

BadNick Getting Tilted

Thanks. Originally they were intended mostly for display but then I found them to really bring out the turbo spooling sounds and I got to like that so much I had to find a way to leave them on. My comment was it sounds like an angry A-10 Warthog...which I mean as a good thing ;) So I had very fine stainless steel mesh screen shaped into a dome about 3" deep and the diameter of the turbo inlet and I have those screens secured where the V-bands attach the intake pipes to the turbos. But I still have my more conventional filtered intakes and plan to use them most of the time. Here's an older shot with the filters:

[​IMG]

9. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

I drive the antithesis of the cars in the photos...a Civic Hybrid.
    110HP of pure putt-putt in the first lane fury.
    Best city car I've ever owned though.

10. AHHH...MUCH better. I was worried there for a bit that you might accidentally suck in a small stone or plastic bag at 150MPH and 4500 RPM. Not a pretty sight after that.
    --- merged: Sep 22, 2011 3:11 AM ---
    Hey, Hybrids are a good thing as well. I'm actually certified as a GM technician in the Tahoe/Silverado hybrid models. I personally would LOVE to get a Chevy Volt if I had the money.

11. SuburbanZombie

SuburbanZombie Housebroken

I love my Hybrid. Its a fantastic car. Roomy interior, comfortable driving position, great visibility, very maneuverable in city traffic and fantastic mileage.
    Just not quick or very good in the twisties...but i didn't buy it for that.

12. CaptainBob

CaptainBob Slightly Tilted

My 2001 Toyota Highlander 4wd 3.0 litre V6 (the trailer is a rental)

[​IMG]

My 1976 Honda GoldWing

[​IMG]

My 1975 Honda GoldWing

[​IMG]

My 1978 Honda GoldWing w/ Velorex sidecar (that's my buddy Bruce in the sidecar)

[​IMG]

13. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

ALABAMAMAN, perhaps some help...I just bought a 94 Isuzu PUP to use as a kinda' spare vehicle. I intend to keep it in my studio/warehouse to use for draggin' around stuff I don't want to put in my SUV..I make large paintings ala JACKSON POLLOCK.
    The truck has 166,000 miles on it runs great most of the time but, has a habit of loping idle (hunting) sometimes, and if I shut if off and restart it after 10-15 minutes it runs like crap ( shakes like hell and dies at idle)...Seems to me that if it sometimes can run smoothsometimes, it is basically ok, but there is a component that is bad? What is the first step?

14. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

i drive a 99 ranger with 200,000+ miles on it
    my hunting truck is a 86 f-150 4x4
    I used to have a 74 nova with a 454 in it with a muncie 4 speed. i sold it when my wife got pregnant. I sure with i had that car now. it would run 12.9 in a quarter.

15. Well It sounds like a sensor having issues. Many times airflow system sensors begin to degrade and send incorrect data to the ECU. This in turn will cause the ECU to improperly control the fuel system. Your 94 is an OBD1 computer system, so I would first suggest getting your computer codes checked. Pretty much every parts store like Advance Auto Parts and Auto Zone, as well as Pep Boys will check your codes for free. Now once you find out the code, you can do some research on the internet for common failures. Don't assume that a code for a sensor means a sensor is bad though. The failure could be in the wiring, the sensor, or the ECU itself. The reason why it starts to runs differently after the initial problem is because how your ECU handles failures in the system. Some systems go into failsafe or "Limp home" modes. Each manufacturer does theirs differently.

So first step will be to get the codes checked to see what is going on. Then go from there. I have heard of many complaints that have been cured by resecuring the engine grounds.

16. DAKA

DAKA DOING VERY NICELY, THANK YOU

Alabamaman1968
    Thanks for the advice..first step will be a code check!

17. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

im not sure if autozone etc... can check an obd1 system. for your sake i hope they can.
    My opnion (and im a ford guy) it almost sounds like a dirty/bad mass air flow sensor. but i dont know if they had them on a 94 pup

just as alabama stated. just because it has a code for a sensor dosent mean it needs one. it just gives you someplace to start

18. The 4 cylinder p'ups definitely had mass airflow sensors.

And, I think you're right about A-Zone, etc and OBD1. OBD2 vehicles all have a common connector and coding, so the same code reader can be used. Prior to that, every make was unique. Don't think the parts stores are testing those.

19. Found this information for you to do it yourself....

OBD1 Codes Retrieval (Pre-1995 Cars and Trucks)

Isuzu vehicles 1985-94 obd1 code retrieval
    You can get the check engine light codes yourself on 1985-94 Isuzu vehicles by using a jumper wire between terminal pins 1 and 3 or A and B in the diagnostic connector. This diagnostic connector can be located anywhere from the driver side kick panel, passenger kick panel and sometimes at the center console. When using A and B terminal pins, getting the codes is similar to GM vehicles. Once the jumper wire is connected, turn your key on and read the codes being flashed in the dash panel.
    Reading the lights being flashed is simple, like code 12 is a long flash, a pause followed by 2 short flashes. Code 12 is also the first code to appear which verifies that the diagnostic system is working. If there are any codes that are present, it will be flashed in the same way with each codes being flashed 3 times before going to a next higher code.
    Clearing the codes is done mostly by removing the battery negative terminal but removing the ecm (computer) fuse for 10 seconds is the best method. This way, you don’t need to re-program your radio or clock in case you use the battery connection.
    Don't forget to remove the jumper wire with key off before clearing the codes.
    Here are some popular obd1 codes for 1985-94 Isuzu vehicles:
    Code 12 System normal
    Code 13 Oxygen sensor fault
    Code 14 Coolant temperature fault
    Code 21 TPS signal fault
    Code 23 MAT circuit fault
    Code 24 Vehicle speed signal sensor fault
    Code 32 EGR sensor fault
    Code 23 MAP sensor fault
    Code 42 Electronic spark timing fault
    Code 43 Electronic spark control fault
    Code 44 Oxygen sensor fault