1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Tilted Golf Gear

Discussion in 'Tilted Gear' started by Bear Cub, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Bear Cub

Bear Cub Goes down smooth.

Surprised I didn't see a thread on this one already!

After being dragged out by my coworkers the other day, I've decided to start playing golf again for the first time in roughly 15 years. Needless to say, I'm basically starting from scratch.

I was looking for, but not really wanting, and out of the box starter set, and nearly pulled the trigger on a set of Adams Tight Lies clubs.

Went into a pro shop this morning instead, and walked out with a great price on a mixed and matched used set.

Ended up grabbing a:

Mizuno MX-700 driver. My club head speeds now that I'm milking a bad shoulder are around 105 MPH, so I went with the stiff shaft, knowing that I'll pick up a few more MPH as I get more comfortable swinging the club. Did have it refitted with a fat grip for my fat hands.

[​IMG]

For irons I found a great shape, year old set of steel shaft Cleveland Mashies with a nice deep cavity back, since I need something very forgiving. They came with 6-PW with a 3H, 4H, and 5H to boot. Very old school look to them.

[​IMG]

For a putter, I like them very short and very light. I have short legs, long arms, and a tendency to over-hit, so I needed something soft. The Odyssey #2 White Hot was the clear winner. Very soft touch, very controllable, and I sank about 5, 4 1/2 foot putts in a row inside the store with it.

[​IMG]

All in all I walked out of the store with the clubs, a gift card for a free golf lesson, a cheapie bag, head covers, and two dozen balls for less than $500. Hard to beat for a recreational golfer who wants something other than a $200 set of Dick's cheapies.

On the way are also two freebies, which if you do a Google search, you will find as well for the price of shipping. Fair warning though, I've been told they'll call you frequently to try to sell you other clubs, so make sure to give them your office number instead of your personal number, and refuse any other freebies or trials (I also paid with PayPal just in case). En route are a Warrior 3 hybrid and loft wedge. Used both last week, both are great clubs, particularly the 3 Hybrid.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

What all do the rest of our TFP'ers golf with?

2. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

I bought a set of Taylormade Superlaunchers last year. Something like these:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/liveAuTB8S.jpg

Driver, 3 wood, 3 hybrid, 4-sw irons. I also have an old wilson 60 degree wedge and an old putter. Both of these are just about due to be replaced.

Of course, I hurt myself at the beginning of this year, so they really haven't seen a lot of use :(

3. Bear Cub

Very nice. I was looking at those irons, along with the Callaway Diablos until I came across the Clevelands. They fit me really well. I don't like to bend over too much, and the lie angle on the Taylormade clubs seemed to fit a bit better than a few of the others I tried.

4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

:cool: Sounds like you got a pretty reasonable deal.

I have Taylormade Burner 2.0 Driver and 3W, a set of Cobra irons, a mix of wedges (Cobra, Taylormade, even a Wilson), and an Odyssey knock-off putter. I'm more of a social hacker than a serious golfer, but I love getting out there a couple times a month during the summer.

5. Bear Cub

I would definitely classify myself as a social hacker. I don't like teeing off on the first hole without at least 4 clubhouse beers in me.

6. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

7. Bear Cub

That's a good looking putter!