1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Tilted Spirits

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by AlterMoose, Feb 27, 2012.

1. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

I am what is known as a Christian Mystic. In my own reckoning, this means that I understand the ransom and sacrifice of Jesus Christ, and I have accepted him as saviour and try to maintain a personal relationship with God. I also believe that, as an imprint of the primal elemental forces used to create the universe, magic is everywhere; and it is up to us to work with it--each according to his own strength--to glorify God and heal the world around us. Incorporating elements of shamanism into my faith, I find that there are life forces in trees, stones, animals of course, and spirit guides that can empower us and deliver messages to us.

I you disagree, I can't stop you from criticizing me. But, as I'm always looking to expand my worldview, I was hoping that others might share some of their beliefs and faith systems, so we can uplift and enlighten one another.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Ok, I'll shoot...you haven't gotten a lot of biters yet.

I'm complicated...or ambiguous. Whichever describes it best.
    Some are into having a "formal" faith where it is defined, however it is.
    But I'm more "informal", I appreciate the flavors and symbolism of many different ideas and culture.

I didn't grow up with anything "formal", but my mother's side who raised me had many aspects and values of Jewish-American culture.
    My grandmother was Methodist, My grandfather was true Jewish, but neither ID'd themselves as such, or pushed it, or went into it.
    My mother almost officially converted after I was born, but didn't follow through. (in much Jewish tradition, the heritage is passed down through the Mother)
    So I got all the flavors growing up in Southeastern CT, but nothing definite...I just knew I enjoyed what I got.

Now, my wife's family is Jewish, but Reform/liberal, definitely ID themselves as such, almost militant, despite not being formal or going to Temple often.
    I'm formally converting, just because it relates to them more...plus it will be more consistent with our children.
    They do the High Holidays, enjoy doing some of the traditions and definitely love the culture. But still, it's not do or die with them. Which is cool.

However, I've got a background in science, so I appreciate the Atheist point of view, and I wouldn't be uncomfortable if there wasn't anything there at all.
    Again, to me, it's a faith...a flavor, a symbolism, a culture I enjoy and get into a bit.
    And I've befriended a Dean of Theology at Yale in my later teens, so I know much of the real history and background of several religions.

And then again, I have enjoyed the variety of faiths that many of my friends have had from various countries and around the nation.
    And I got into exploring, Kabbalah and other forms of Mysticism...and I enjoyed the symbolism and connectivity from those too.
    (Love the idea of the Tree of Life)

So, when it comes down to it, I'm formally Jewish...but not truly formal inside.
    Plus I like and incorporate many aspects from various faiths and philosphies into that.
    Again, enjoying the flavors & symbolism in combination.

As many Christians do, signing themselves with cross, but I make a sign of an upright pentagram then the Star of David on my forehead.
    It's a focus, to get me through...I like the pentagram, representing the symbolisms/emotions of Fire, Water, Air, Earth and Spirit
    and the Star of David, which to me represents the duality of life, the Yin/Yang, Male/Female.

To me, God...is in a way like Ghea, but Universal...it is the connectivity of the Universe...you might call it the soul. (The Holy Ghost??)
    But there is no control...no more you can control your body inside and on a molecular level.
    You are responsible for yourself, your own meaning.
    But you can affect it and its surroundings, and it can affect you. Connectivity, Chaos Theory in play. But there is no manipulation, no intent.
    Perhaps the Universe learns through us? But we are just a particle on an atom on a cell of the whole body of the whole damn thing...so who are we?

And if it is all a game...or an illusion, so what? If it all meaningless or spontaneous like the Atheists say.
    And Science can or cannot prove or disprove, so what? One does not preclude the other. I still do the science as a pure thing.
    Because to me, it's faith.
    An enjoyment to Life, the Universe and Everything. A dance, a color, a flavor.

Make sense?
    Doesn't matter, because to me it does...and that's all that matters.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AlterMoose

AlterMoose Slightly Tilted

Bless you, Rogue. Thank you for contributing; I really appreciate some of the points you raise and respect your worldview. The Tree of Life figures prominently in my faith, connecting the illusory 'real world' with the ethereal, man to God and the spirit world, the primal deep-earth magic with the power and grace of Heaven.

As mankind moves closer to its new age of enlightenment, we find more and more that faith and science can not only coexist, but truly complement one another. In both schools, the deeper one goes, the more answers one gathers, the more questions arise. Realizing and accepting how little one knows is a major step toward enlightenment.

And the idea of celebrating one's practice as a celebration, "an enjoyment to Life, the Universe, and Everything" has inspired me to change my avatar!

4. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

just this, i'm figuring out the rest as i go

5. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I don't believe in God and at the same time, I can't rule him/her/it out.

I have this life, there's a lot of people in it, there's experiences, time passes, and one day it will be over.

Between now and then, there's a lot of people and experiences to engage with and learn from.

I don't want to get to the end of my life with too many regrets or believing I've hurt anyone I haven't already apologized to. I would rather leave knowing I had a positive effect, even in a small way, on the lives of some of the people who knew me.

If I go somewhere else when I die, then I do. If I don't, then I don't.

I stand firmly by the scientific process but do not expect it to provide answers to the questions I often ask myself, not in my lifetime anyway. But I'm okay with that.

I don't need to know the answers to those questions to live a good, decent, and productive life. I don't need to invent answers to the questions either.

I like wondering about the possibilities and would feel let down to know they'd all been answered and I had nothing else to wonder about.

For me, religion is someone else's idea of what the answers are, surviving on the faith of others that the answers are correct. I don't feel as if I'm missing out on anything by failing to "get on board." I don't feel the religious are missing out by needing the answers, either. We are all different and have different needs.

I have a lot of ideas and opinions but they are mine and I do not expect or even desire that someone else have the same ideas and opinions as I do.

I don't disagree with you, AlterMoose. How can I can I disagree with someone else's ideas and opinions? I will state my own opinion though, that I don't believe that faith in a supernatural entity is necessary to heal the world around us. We are capable of doing that within our humanity, if we so choose. We all have within us the capability of making a huge difference in someone's day, merely by being kind and understanding. What we can do if we were all truly committed to changing the course of our own lives as well as the lives of others is unlimited.

Dealing with reality, as I see it, is the only option I feel truly comfortable with. Difficulties I may face might seem more difficult to those who have an entity to share the burden with, but then again, the rewards are all mine.:)

6. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

I like this thread, because it is asking you to share.
    Ideas and perspectives of a strange and wonderful thing.

I think we'll find that many have a multitude of thoughts...like the visions of art, even within a specifically defined theme there are diversities.
    And as with Art, it is not what you "should" do, to push for one over another...anyone can be militant, even those without faith.
    But it is to appreciate what it gives you when you experience it.

That's one thing I learned when I befriended that Dean of Theology...that humans have been pondering the imponderables for a long time in multitudes.
    And when you come to learn different experiences...or even delve into the background, you come to appreciate how it has evolved and come forth.
    It doesn't matter whether you take it from a realistic vantage or one of more belief, if you are open, then you will see the wonder either way.

Religion, Art, Science, Philosophy, Math, Words, etc...
    They are as many as the stars in the sky.
    It is your choice to consider it a cold dark place or a thing of beauty.