1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Food Tipping ettiquette

Discussion in 'Tilted Food' started by Strange Famous, Apr 17, 2012.

1. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

As much as everyone hates grat being added to parties, I'll always add it if I have the choice. Yes, there's a possibility that I'll get tipped more without it, but I've been burned way too many times on people who think $10 is appropriate for a $200 check. After I tip out the bartenders and bussers 2%, that leaves me $6.

I mean, hey, if I suck, then no, you shouldn't have to tip me. But I totally bust my ass at work, especially for big parties.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I tip 20-40% at the bar, based on the tab, service, and any comped items.
    I tip 20% for good service, 25% for great service, and 10-15% on crappy service.
    I think the "wage" here is $2.75/hour. The service industry survives on tips,
    so I never lowball the tip without a significant tip.
    I even tip on most take-out... someone had to take the time to make my meal,
    put it in containers and get it ready for me.
    I don't do the bill splitting thing for that very reason--most people order more expensive
    food than I do and few tip like I do. I'd rather be separate.

Only once have we negatively tipped. We got literally forgotten at a table at a nice restaurant, could see our nice, hot, gorgeous plates of thai food sitting there while our waiter went on a dinner break (we went up there and got them ourselves after 10 minutes and he never knew until we told him WE had to go get the food), he refused to get the manager for us and argued about the price of a bottle of wine that we'd ordered (he charged us $10 extra than what was on the menu and we clarified with the manager later). We deducted the 15% from the bill. So sorry, man. His manager was so pissed at him for refusing to get him earlier when we asked... it was almost comical. I've never even come close to an experience like that again. And it was a really nice restaurant, too. And we were one of his two tables he was responsible for at the time. We never went back for eat-in... just take out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Even though Oregon's minimum wage law guarantees that servers still make minimum wage ($8.80 an hour), I still tip well. I've worked in the industry as a line cook and I know how the tipping system works. My breakdown is similar to noodle 's.

A few months ago, we picked up a large takeout order for my mother-in-law. She seemed surprised when my husband told her we'd left a tip. Uh, I always tip on takeout--somebody had to pack all that food up for us.

My attitude is if I can afford to go out to eat, why the hell would I skimp on the tip? We always split the checks. We live in a college town; it's pretty much the norm for a server to ask if you need separate checks prior to ordering.

4. ottopilot

ottopilot New Member

I spent nearly 6 years playing in a touring band and many more years as a week-end warrior. The bar and nightclub scene is a tough way to make a living. They endure some amazing bullshit on a daily basis. The majority of service workers I've known always more than earn their tips. Unless the service is really bad, I always tip a minimum of 20%. If it was a marginal experience, the service is always better (the next time) because they remember you!

5. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

When you go to the supermarket do you tip the cashier that serves you?

I am not taking the mick, I genuinely don't know... if you tip a takeaway place cos they pack your food, why wouldn't you tip the lad in the supermarket who puts your shopping in a bag?

If the waiter is getting paid a fair wage, my position is that a tip should be earned.

I would only tip automatically if the people are on the kind of crazy low wages mentioned above.

With regard to noodles comment that if you can afford to eat at a restaurant you can afford to pay an extra 30% tip... I just would say maybe not everyone is as financially comfortable. Sometimes if somebody doesnt want to tip, or not tip a huge figure like 30%, it's maybe because they are on a budget and they have a set amount they have set aside to have a nice meal with friends (and perhaps a group of friends who are more financially comfortable than they are) and they cant afford to tip like that.

someone else (not Noodle) mentioned fellow diners and the staff feeling contempt for somebody who doesnt leave a tip... and I just think from a service business that is a really disgusting attitude to have. If I had £20 in my pocket and my meal came to £19, so I let a £1 tip, and people were shaking their heads with scorn etc at me, it certainly wouldnt be a place I'd be giving my custom to ever again.

_

So yeah... just bare in mind with comments made like this, some people arent rich, and they still might like to have a nice meal out when their friends invite them (or feel embarrassed and unsociable if they say no) but putting in an extra $10 tip can make a REAL difference to someone's budgeting in that week. Sorry if I am coming over as passionate, but this is a situation I have been in throughout some of my financial problems in prior years (and do a degree still now)

_

Sorry, I have slandered Noodle. It is snowyowl who said that if you can afford to eat out you can afford to leave a big tip... well, maybe for people of her social situation this is how it is and thats great for her. It isnt so for all of us.

6. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

Harrrumpf!

;)

No worries.

7. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

As SF says, the culture in the UK is totally different from the culture in the US.

In the UK, the minimum wage is enforced, and tips go on top. Many restaurants actually take tips from the waiting staff and enforce sharing for the whole outfit - many places put a service charge on the bill before it's brought to you.

Personally, if there's a service charge on the bill I always pay it, unless I've had very poor service, or food.

Where there's no service charge, I will tip if I had service (or food) above my expectations for that class of restaurant.

I find the whole logic of WHERE we tip is fascinating. Someone brings you a plate of food and you tip, but they bring you a pair of shoes and you don't? How does that work?

8. Ayashe

Ayashe Getting Tilted

I have only had one experience ever that I didn't leave a tip. It was quite some time ago but the restaurant was positively dead, I never saw another patron at least in the area I was dining. I was seated with my family, a drink order was given and drinks received and the waitstaff never came back. We sat for a good 45 minutes and no one returned to take an order and there was visibly no one to alert on the matter. Not wanting to essentially steal our beverages and go we left a couple bucks on the table and a note written on a napkin and left. It was a weekday afternoon at an odd hour, I had never had such a bizarre experience before.

9. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

First off, I would tip the bag boy if he took my stuff out to my car. However, that usually doesn't happen here anymore.

Further, a $10 tip would be 20% on a $50 meal. I'm pretty sure if I can afford a $50 meal, I can afford the extra $10 to tip. That is my point. I don't consider 20% a high tip, either. I consider that normal. Spending that much on a meal is not an everyday occurrence for me. We go out to eat and spend that much maybe once every couple of months. I see it as a special treat. We usually stay home and cook for ourselves, or if we do go out for a meal, we go somewhere where the bill is likely to be $20-30, meaning a 20% tip at the high end of that is going to be $6. I return to many of the same bars and restaurants over and over again, so tipping is a way of building a relationship with a server or bartender I will see again and again. At one bar in particular, tipping well has paid for itself in the number of free drinks I've received over the years.

Generally, I find the tips I leave are earned by quality service. I will reduce my tip accordingly if the service is not up to my standards because I know servers in Oregon are being paid a fair wage. At the same time, if the service is excellent, I want to show my appreciation for that.

10. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Indeed, such a different culture of tipping. When I first heard of the American concept of tipping, I simply could not get my head around it.

"Tips go on top" - definitely tips only if the waiter goes over and above expectation.

I did used to tip automatically ... 10%, but so many people I've been out to dinner with have strongly discouraged doing it at all, for much the same reasons as SF and Daniel. These days, if the service is extremely good, my 'tip' is the decision to go to the restaurant again and to recommend it to others.

SF ... any time I am in a restaurant, I straightway make it clear to the staff that I am to be billed separately for everything. I was sickened by the greedy pigs who took advantage of bill-share, especially when noticing that it was they who made the biggest and angriest fuss as my easy assertion that I'll pay my own way and nobody else's. Another thing I totally hated and revolted against, was when the self-styled 'alphas' tried to push what we 'all' should order, and 'how many rices does the table need'. Until, with the aid of some like-minded girl-friends, I developed the strength to only ever do MY own thing in a restaurant, meals out with groups just meant a ruined dinner-experience for me.

Stand calm and firm. If you've decided not to tip, and the others try to close ranks ... heck, it's not your problem.

That's just for when in England. IF I were getting food in America, then I would tip between 15 and 20%, and would not go to a restaurant otherwize. IMO, workers depending on tips is barbaric and primitive. Equally unacceptable to me is that a customer should have any form of pressure or guilt-sling to pay a penny more than what is plainly written on the menu outside the door. However, that IS the way it works over there, and I certainly would not let a server's livelihood be collateral damage to my principles. I'd tip according to guidelines given by my American friends, or I would not enter the restaurant.

In either country, though, if I were in a group, I'd politely retain sovereignty over my wallet, my individual bill, and my choice of tip, and practice being impervious to pressure from other diners.

11. Daniel_

Daniel_ The devil made me do it...

I've generally never minded either method of bill splitting AS LONG AS EVERYONE AGREED UP FRONT! Although I do with embarrassment remember a time in a large Chinese place off Gerard Street in Soho where I was the most sober of a huge group and therefore was elected to calculate the split in the bill. I counted all the people with me at the table, added 10%, and then rounded up to the nearest note to tell everyone that their share was whatever (call it £25).

Everyone dumped their cash on the table, and wandered off, leaving me to settle the bill.

Imagine my surprise when the waiter brought me back a wodge of banknotes.

Turned out I'd forgotten to count myself, and had made a rounding error. I felt obliged to buy a large round of drinks when we got to the pub, but I still had a pocket of cash...

12. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Here are some basic random thoughts after weeding through most of this thread:

1) The majority of the differences between SF and most of the rest of us are due to culture, as many have stated. In the US, tipping a server 15-20% is standard for adequate service. I typically tip 20% + round it up to the nearest dollar or five dollars (depending on the size of the tab) for basic service, and will tip significantly higher for great service, or at places that I'm a regular at and often get the same servers. Here, a tip is part of the meal cost, as tax is part of the meal cost. You are a bit of a lout if you think to yourself "I can afford a $20 meal, and that's the max I can spend" and go order a $20 entreee and think you can stiff the server. If you are on that budget, you need to order a $15 meal, because after tax and tip that's all you have in your budget. I understand where SF is coming from in his arguments, but most of his points don't apply to the way things are done here.

2) If something is so bad that you are planning on tipping less than 15%, then you should speak up to your server and/or a manager and give them a chance to fix it. Sometimes they won't, but usually places will go out of their way to make things right. Worst case, make a brief note on the credit card reciept as to your complaint, that assures that someone will see it and know why you left a poor tip.

3) If you are splitting checks, make it clear from the very beginning of the dining process. Most places are ok with it, but you often make it easier on the server if you state it from the first point of contact. Also, that makes it clear to whoever you are dining with too.

4) If you agree not to split checks, then just deal with it if you order the cheap meal, no dessert, and a single drink while your friend orders the surf and turf, taramisu, and three glasses of wine. If they are a good friend they will offer to pay more, or you will be fine with paying extra because you enjoyed their company. My personal rule is to usually not eat with people I don't like enough to pay a few extra bucks, it helps make my dinners more enjoyable. :D If I don't like you enough that I want to count pennies to assure an even split, then I don't like you enough to go out to dinner with. :p

5) I disagree with the comments that a waiter has almost no control of the dining experience save your interaction with them. The waiter can provide recommendations, assure that your order is correctly prepared (doneness of meat, proper condiments, proper sides, etc.), see that soups, salads, appetizers, and entrees are presented at proper intervals, anticipate when drinks need refilled or dishes need cleared, and can be proactive about correcting any mistakes or problems made by the kitchen. I've had good servers completely make up for things that were not specifically their fault (steak overcooked, kitchen took too long, etc.), and tipped them accordingly. To me, a good server can really make a difference as to whether a dining experience turns out being a positive one or a negative one. I've often given places a second shot when the food was only so-so because the service was so good. I've also stopped going to places with good food because the service was so poor.

13. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

I mostly agree with Zen. While I accept in the US it is part of the cultural norm to tip, I dont really think its right.

I have visited the US, but have only ever eaten or gone to the pub with mates who were American so followed their lead. But I also think it is fundamentally wrong that there is this whole social pressure (supported by restaurants paying staff shit wages) where you are blackmailed into paying more than the advertised price.

The only time I can remember having an argument when was in the US was in the airport at Raleigh. I ordered a subway style sandwich and the guy added an extra amount to the price on the board called "tax"... I said to him "Are you having a laugh mate? Do you think cos I just got off the plane and I'm not from around here I'm going to pay the sales tax twice?" and he just looked at me like I was a prick. I cant remember if I ended up paying or not.

14. CinnamonGirl

CinnamonGirl The Cheat is GROUNDED!

Yes, because I'm not going to screw over the people that server tips out. If the server is rude and all that, I'd leave 10% and speak to a manager.

15. Snake Eater

Snake Eater Vertical

I really couldn't care less about this situation.

By going out with friends and agreeing to split the bill, regardless of minor differences in the costs of individual meals, you are entering into a tacit agreement to, well, split the bill. Pretty straightforward.

By doing so you also are subordinating your individual ability to pay *exactly* the amount you want to the needs and average expenditure of the group. If they want to leave a tip and you don't... Too bad so sad; you should have worked that out in advance.

You claim you feel being 'forced' into tipping was wrong, but you could have taken a stand on the subject. If the group consisted of your friends then they should have honored your request. If they weren't your friends then you should never have entered into any contract (social or otherwise) with them.

16. spindles

spindles Very Tilted

This is obviously different in the US (and we've covered tipping quite a bit). Here in Oz, there is no real expectation of a tip. You can, but not tipping is not frowned on (our waiting staff make a proper minimum wage and don't need tips to survive like they do in the US).

On the original question - IF I was in that situation, I'd figure out what my portion of the original would be and then could add my tip (or not) and I'd state that. Funnily enough men never seem to carry a lot of change - I probably wouldn't be carrying the right money to split it fully anyway :)
    --- merged: May 1, 2012 5:45 AM ---
    Sounds like a way to make a living - stay sober and fleece your friends ;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012