1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

too much caffeine

Discussion in 'Tilted Life and Sexuality' started by Strange Famous, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Strange Famous

Strange Famous it depends on who is looking...

So I drank 8 500 ml bottles of diet coke in about 3 hours (approx 6/7 pints?)
    (yes, I know that was probably stupid)

I now feel pretty shit. A bit shaky, a bit sick to my stomach, a bit light headed and "spinny"

I read Yahoo answers and from everything I read there it isnt enough to be really dangerous and most of the answers say there isnt anything much you can do but wait to feel better.

But would eating/drinking (water) help at all?

My heart feels normal and Im not like physically shaking or anything, my muscles just feel kind of weak and I generally feel shit.

2. shoegirl

shoegirl Vertical

I had a little too much coffee this morning/afternoon and felt kind of the same way. I don't know if there's anything scientific to it, but I had a baked potato and feel just fine now. For me, I think it was too much coffee/caffeine and not enough of anything else. Hope you feel better!!

3. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

It might be a sugar reaction, or a combination of the two. Drink plenty of water, and if you haven't eaten something recently try to grab a healthy snack.

4. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

It was diet soda, so I doubt it's a sugar reaction :)

I think you more or less just have to ride it out. Diluting the contents of your digestive system can't hurt, though.

5. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Apparently I can't read. :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

I'm guessing you're at work now, but usually when I drink too much caffeine (too many cups/hr, too many shots of expresso in my drink) a nap tends to help. Napping gives my body time to process all the crap out of my system.

7. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

7:30 in the evening, English time .... I'd hope he's home, or on the way.

Yes. Napping sounds good.

Mind you, if you're too wired for napping, then see if you can eat something, lay back and rest - preferably with compelling high quality distraction - film to put your focus outside yourself. And have your telephone nearby in case you just want to have a chat with a friend. That can keep your focus outside yourself too - sometimes better than films. That should get you past the peak and down the other side.

Good luck with that. I have a periodic sensitivity to coffee, which sends me over the top with only a couple of mouthfuls. It's definitely not fun when it happens. DO say when it eased off, OK?

Take care.

8. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

According to my sources (and some simple math), you have consumed just over 500 mg of caffeine in a period of 3 hours.

The Government of Canada recommends no more than 400 mg of caffeine daily to stay within healthy levels. The half life of caffeine is about 5 hours, so do the math to find out when you get back down to that threshold.

Of course, caffeine tolerance varies. What is you regular intake like? Is this unprecedented? You could be more sensitive than others.

There isn't much you can do. Caffeine isn't easily diluted because it's in your bloodstream. Your metabolism will do most of the work to get rid of it. The information above may help determine how long it might take to get back to "normal."

Napping might be difficult. Given the metabolism requirements, it might be better to go for a leisurely walk.

9. Strange Famous

Its a public holiday in the UK, so no work. I tried lying down for a bit but felt too wired to nap. Ive drunk a load of water and I do feel less "swimmy" now... but still feel like crap. I just dont know why I do stupid things like this to myself.

10. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

OK, so three hours since your first post. Therefore about two hours to go, though some of your first bottles-worth has passed that mark. Let's assume you are over the worst by now, and that there's still a bit of feeling like crap due what your body has had to put up with.
    Dare I say that thinking about something slightly higher than a nun on a bicycle might speed up the process of your recovery?

11. Poetry

Poetry Totally Sharky, Complete

When I used to consume caffeine and my body went out of whack, I'd usually drink whole milk to settle it down. I don't suggest overhydrating yourself, it'll wipe out everything else in your system and make you just as shaky.

12. Strange Famous

I just feel really shit now, but without the other symptons. Gonna have an early night and hope I feel better tomorrow.

13. Strange Famous

Woke up with a headache, a stomach ache, and still feeling tired... but all the shakiness and dizziness is gone. Hopefully Ive learned my lesson.

14. Zen

Zen Very Tilted

Talking about learning lessons, in my history, one evening of gin kept me away from it for twenty years, and cautious from then on. I'm sure you'll only have to look at a can of it or number of cans in a bottle, and to remember your safe threshold.

On a warm day, a wide lipped vaccum flask of vacuum mug can give you more cold sips per pouring.

Stomach calming foods and drinks sounds like a good idea, and I am glad you are OK.

15. Random McRandom

Random McRandom Starry Eyed

If you can't handle high amounts of stimulants.. then feed your body. A lot of people take stimulants and forget to eat.

I'm not even going to say what's in the N.O. boosters and/or stimulants I take.

16. CaptainBob

CaptainBob Slightly Tilted

Kingston and Sudbury Ontario are test markets for new sizes of Timmies coffee. What was the small is now the extra small (8oz.), what was the medium is now the small (10oz.), the large is now medium (14oz.), the extra large is now large(20oz.) and the new extra large is 24oz. of coffee.
    When this goes global there will be a lot of people ODing on caffeine.

17. Strange Famous

Yeah, to be honest - lesson learned I think.

Ive drunk too much coke and got a bit of a head buzz before, but nothing like that.

When I was reading online about people taking twice as much as I had to drink and feeling like theyre dying (and probably people with 2/3 my body weight...) I realised I could have felt a LOT worse, but that was bad enough for me.