1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Trading Boobies for Tunes

Discussion in 'Tilted Art, Photography, Music & Literature' started by GeneticShift, Jun 26, 2014.

1. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

So I came across this article the other day and thought it was interesting:

This musician is asking for naked selfies instead of money for his new album - Alternative Press

Basically, the gist of the article is that this artist, sick of music sharing and illegal downloads, is releasing his new music only on cassette tape. It will not be available in stores. Instead, he asks that you send him a nude picture, and in exchange, you'll get the tape. If anyone leaks the music, he will release the nude pictures.

This is a big old whoa to me.

I've never heard of this guy before, so obviously this is a no for me, but it got me thinking. What if one of my all time favorite bands did this? Would I trade a nude for a never before heard Cure album? Or some new Against Me!? My answer still probably ends up being no, but it's a much more difficult decision.

I think this is kind of a douche move on the artist's part, but I'm sure he has some die hard fans that jumped on this right away.

What do you think of this trade? Do you have any bands or singers that you would consider trading pictures of yourself for?

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Nah, because once its out there, you never know what someone is going to do with it.

It's one thing sharing with a place you know & trust...it's another where you're taking it in exchange for something (cash, product, services)
    Once that is done, there is some ownership involved and property privs.
    I'd rather not give up that copyright. (if I had boobies...or any other part of the body desirable)

Or give it to someone who says, "oops" ("you can't stop the signal...")

• Like Like x 1
  3. snowy

snowy so kawaii Staff Member

Never. That's largely occupationally influenced, though.

4. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

I would send any one of the readily available selfies from the world wide web.

• Like Like x 2
  5. I don't see how the guy could be certain the "selfie" was actually the person receiving the tape. Our estimable colleague Bodkin has hit it right. Imagine the prank: send a pic of an ex, then leak the tracks and watch her horrific reaction.

6. RedSneaker

RedSneaker Very Tilted

Umm, I'd figure something out if it was The Cure. My love for them runs deep.

7. Charlatan

Charlatan sous les pavés, la plage

The only good thing this stunt will result in is a discussion around what all this says about file sharing and privacy.

Otherwise, it's just a publicity stunt.

8. GeneticShift

GeneticShift Show me your everything is okay face.

According to the article, the naked selfie had to had the name of the album written on your body somewhere.

9. Herculite

Herculite Very Tilted

This, because its about as least a cunning plan as I can think of. Even if somehow you were able to 100% verify every picture was the person getting the tape, some just don't care. It would have to be an equal and big risk for everyone involved for it to matter. Its an excellent LOOK AT ME idea though.

10. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

That is doable with GIMP/Photoshop/etc. I can make make a tattoo appear believably on someone's body with a minimal amount of effort, how hard can adding an album title be?

• Like Like x 1
  11. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Do you get bonus tracks if you think up a really good place to show the album name??

12. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

I know plenty of people who are comfortable with their own nudity. Releasing a naked selfie of someone who doesn't care if they show up on the internet naked isn't really going to stop such a person.

I also don't see how you'd be able to track the leak back to the person who leaked it.

This is pretty clearly a publicity thing. And we're discussing it, so it seems to have worked.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Speed_Gibson

Speed_Gibson Hacking the Gibson

On the "talking about it" note - we certainly are, but I also have not opened that link in the original post. No reason not to, but also no motivation to view it either after reading the short description. Admittedly I am a bit curious as to what type of music he makes but just discussing the idea here is enough for me.