1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Trayvon Martin.

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by mixedmedia, Mar 21, 2012.

1. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

This sounds like political dynamite for both sides... all I can say and I mean this half jokingly (and it is a sad statement on our current positions in the USA) Thank God Treyvon was not of Islamic heritage.

No matter what this was pure and simple a hate crime. And a waste of human life.

2. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

I think operative words that would make the above accurate is "perceive a *reasonable* threat of *great* bodily harm to be protected by the law." To be completely honest, unless Zimmerman was covered in blood and wounds, probable cause for an arrest most likely existed when police arrived on scene. You have (1) an unarmed (2) dead person (3) who was shot to death.

The time to present a SYG defense is actually during pre-trial motions (after arrest, after bond hearing, after arraignment, but before trial). So, I would have thought Sanford Police would have arrested Zimmerman and let him resolve his SYG defense in court.

You know, what I have not researched on is proportionality with respect to the Stand Your Ground law ("SYG Law"). But implicit in the words of the SYG statute, is the concept of proportionality ("the right to meet force with force") a comma, then "including deadly force IF threat of great bodily harm/death, etc."

My understanding of SYG was that it removed the duty to retreat, that is:
    1.) In a non SYG state, if someone started hitting my occupied vehicle with a baseball bat, I had a legal obligation to drive away and could only claim self-defense if I could show that there was no other alternative to avoid injury.

2.) In a SYG State, hypothetically, if someone started hitting my occupied vehicle with a baseball bat, I could run him over and remain without criminal liability.

Dippin, where does it say that police have to have PC to believe a self-defense claim is false before arrest? Usually, it's the other way around. The police can arrest so long as they have PC ("reliable facts or knowledge that would lead a reasonable person to believe that a crime has been committed.)" In addition, the State already has the burden of "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (something like 98%)" in all the elements of their cases.

The applicable standard for SYG is "Preponderance of the evidence" (51%) which makes sense, given the State's beyond a reasonable doubt burden. So the defense has to show by 51%, that they were meeting force with force.

And a judge won't lightly grant immunity--it's almost a mini-trial process in which the Defense files a motion to dismiss based on SYG.

In other words, the Burden of Proof still remains with the Defendant raising the SYG Defense. Technically, if the prosecutor can reach 50%, they can still go to trial (so they don't have to prove a negative, really.) You have case-law in which the Defense's SYG story was contradicted by other witnesses, and the Judge properly denied the SYG motion to dismiss.
    --- merged: Mar 22, 2012 at 9:40 PM ---
    A quote from the Christian Science Monitor puts it very succinctly:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  3. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

KirStang, agreed. I believe that the Sanford Police department was negligent because they did not hold Mr. Zimmerman in any fashion. He was free to go from the scene of the incident. A judge was not present at the SYG invocation where the judge, the reasonable man is supposed to interpret whether or not SYG is applicable. If the judge determines it is possibly applicable, then it proceeds to trial for the prosecution to prove that it was not applicable.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  4. roachboy

roachboy Very Tilted

i expected this line of argument from the gun enthusiasts, really. the law is necessary good, this was an problematic singularity. my point is that the basis for zimmerman's action was, by all appearances, racism, and of a kind that can appear to be "reasonable" if someone imagines that someone who has the audacity to be walking while black coupled with having the unmitigated gall to be wearing a hoodie and be young could constitute a "threat"---so the problem with the otherwise obviously perfect law is the underlying racism in the places where that law's been instituted. so clearly it behooves proponents of that law's perfection and of the total reasonableness of being able to wander around strapped to work actively to undermine the racism that creates such problems in the context of this obviously perfect law. but strangely, i don't see that cropping up amongst the supporters of this obviously perfect law. and i sure as fuck don't see the nra making any moves in this direction. why is that? maybe they can't? maybe when they shifted hard to the right they gave away the capacity to be active against racism without endangering a significant element of its base?

5. cynthetiq

I'm not understanding your statement's seriousness.

No law or statue is perfect. It cannot be applied to every situation perfectly, that's why JUDGES interpret law and POLICE enforce law. In this case, the po po has not enforced any law of the land and interpret that it isn't of meaning just like neglecting to cite someone for jaywalking, running a red light, or illegal u turn in front of them.

6. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

I don't see how anyone can deny that 'liberal' (in the nonpolitical sense) gun laws enabled this situation. This was a person told by the state of Florida that he was eligible and capable of carrying a concealed weapon on his person. (The question of whether a person on Neighborhood 'Watch' should be allowed to carry a firearm is another angle i have heard discussed on the radio in recent days.)

Again, I would think that those who believe that these laws can be enacted safely and responsibly, should take on the responsibility of setting very clearly defined standards of what it means to be safe and responsible with a firearm in a world full of perceived threats. I think the idea that anyone without a criminal record or history of certain mental illnesses should be allowed to apply for, jump through a few hoops and be granted the right to carry a firearm is unbelievably pollyanna-ish. I mean, jesus, look around you. And it's only getting worse.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I don't essentially disagree with the right to own firearms or even the right to carry concealed weapons. Especially when one is imagining the carrier to be a maybe crotchety, but good-hearted and rational soul like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino, but the reality, as we all know, is far different.

7. redux

redux Very Tilted

As I understand it, Florida's SYG law has the broadest application, allowing the greatest interpretation by police and providing the greatest protections for the person perceiving a threat of bodily harm, including the provision of "no duty to retreat" that is in most other SYG laws.

My real issue is why these laws should go beyond the "castle doctrine" that would limit it to protecting one's home and property. And here still, there is a need for clearer and less ambiguous standards of "perceived threat of bodily harm>"

But why do we need to give untrained civilians any extraordinary legal protection at all in cases of a questionable or an unprovoked shooting in a public place?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  8. cynthetiq

Being able to carry a weapon is not the same as being allowed to discharge a weapon, nor is it the same as being allowed to kill a person. In all the other cases that I know of where SYG was invoked, it applied. There are times where SYG is invoked and it doesn't apply. , There is nothing in the castle doctrine as found in Florida law that authenticates or provides for the opportunity to pursue and confront someone. It simply protects those who would be potential victims by allowing for force to be used in self-defense. The moment Zimmerman told the dispatcher that he was following the boy that he lost any defense under the Stand Your Ground law. He was no longer standing ground he was pursuing.

This is why there is a difference between manslaughter and premeditated murder.

We shouldn't I don't think that I am advocating that. I don't think that KirStang is. I'm not sure about Aceventura.

• Like Like x 1
  9. redux

redux Very Tilted

And what is most frustrating is that to even raise these questions somehow becomes an attack on Second Amendment Rights.
    --- merged: Mar 23, 2012 3:36 AM ---
    I still contend that these laws enable these types of tragic shootings to occur, regardless of whether it provides extraordinary protection (subject to interpretation) to the shooter or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2012
  10. cynthetiq

Really? you say enable? It ENABLES? you mean that the shooter bears no responsibility in the thought process?

• Like Like x 1
  11. redux

redux Very Tilted

Absolutely. If the shooter believes he is acting within the SYG law, it is an enabler. Particularly in FL, where it is increasingly being used as a defense and prosecution is rare (only 30% of the cases where it was invoked faced a trial).

Thought process? How do the police or prosecutors challenge the shooter's thought process to determine if the perceived threat was real, particularly w/o witnesses?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  12. cynthetiq

And the point is that the defense is not to be interpreted by the police. It is to be done by a judge and due process.

13. redux

redux Very Tilted

And the 70 percent that never went to trial...presumable based. at least in some cases, on the police and/or prosecutors accepting the word of the shooter when there is no contradictory evidence or witnesses?

Trayvon Martin could not tell his side to the police.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  14. cynthetiq

And again, it should be decided by the judge, not the police nor prosecutor. Again, as I have stated before due process. All of the 70% you are stating should have been done by due process when a life's been lost.

15. redux

redux Very Tilted

Doesnt that suggest that there is something wrong with the law that allows (enables) so many to avoid prosecution?

16. cynthetiq

No, I do not believe that. It's like saying not citing someone for a seat belt law because the beat cop doesn't want to fill out the paper work means that seat belt laws are bad.

It's not that the individuals are AVOIDING prosecution; the police and the prosecutors are deciding unilaterally to not prosecute. It isn't the law being interpreted by a judge that is allowing many to avoid it, it is the uneven enforcement of the law itself.

17. pan6467

pan6467 a triangle in a circular world.

So in Florida, IF I am to go to a doctor and I see Rush Limbaugh coming in to go doctor shopping can I say he threatens me by what he says on the radio? That my sister and mom have plenty of sex and neither is a slut or prostitute?

Any law I can legally shoot Limbaugh and get away with it, I'm there and waiting....

Sorry trying to add levity.

18. redux

redux Very Tilted

Right, prosecutors (who determine what cases to take to trial) are deciding not to prosecute based, at least in some cases, solely on the words of the shooter within the framework of the law, particularly in FL where it can be so broadly applied. Judges dont determine what cases should come to trial...that is the role of the prosecutor.
    --- merged: Mar 23, 2012 at 12:20 AM ---
    These laws, that deal with life and death situations and not seat belts, are too broad with too much left to the discretion of the prosecutors (and the police who take the statements of the shooter). They need to be reviewed and greater and less ambiguous standards applied.

19. cynthetiq

I don't believe they are too broad, I believe that too much left to the discretion of the prosecutors is the failure here and probably in other cases.

20. redux

redux Very Tilted

I honestly dont understand your position. If too much is left to the discretion of the prosecutors, then fix the laws to minimize that.
    --- merged: Mar 23, 2012 at 12:26 AM ---
    The problem that prosecutors have is that if there is no other evidence but the word of the shooter, how do they make a compelling case to challenge that?