1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Trayvon Martin.

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by mixedmedia, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Joniemack

Joniemack Beta brainwaves in session

I have no problem with specifics. Not when it comes to deadly weapons in the hands of idiots.

2. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

I get the feeling that nobody is qualified in your eyes.

I mean, the police sure as hell can't be.

And if not them, then who?

3. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

maybe no one. maybe none of you are good enough.
    that ever cross your mind?

4. Alistair Eurotrash

It occurs to me that it says something about this whole case that the thread is posted in the politics forum - don't you think?

I'm not saying it's posted in the wrong place - it's the right place.

But it does say something, doesn't it?

5. Joniemack

It's got one of the 3 G's - guns, gays, and god. All three sneaked under the door of American politics when someone wasn't looking.

Then there's race, which has always been there.

6. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

As the OP of the thread, I sort of thought the (at the time) that the concealed carry and SYG aspects of the case were the most compelling. I do believe they are largely a matter of partisan politics. Not exclusively, but significantly.

7. Alistair Eurotrash

And you were right!

Except for the racism thing, of course. I'm not convinced there was any real racism involved in the case itself, but - wow - didn't it become a factor in terms of the reaction?

The Martin case aside, I do wonder about this SYG thing. In theory I can see some sense in it - except for the part that says you only have to FEEL in danger (not actually BE in danger). That's how this kind of stuff happens. ... HCSO: Man shot to death at gas station after apparent road rage incident in northwest Harris County | abc13.com
    --- merged: Jul 27, 2013 at 4:15 PM ---
    Gummint, global warming, G6, goat sex (keep the gummint out of my goat!) ... OK, maybe I made the last one up. I blame Gore.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
  8. Joniemack

The are the most compelling aspects, MM. They are also the aspects that are being overlooked or should I say, trampled on by the fact that a young black man was killed by a non-black assailant. After everything that has occurred over the past 5 - 10 years in respect to gun violence, I think we (the proverbial we) are still more comfortable arguing about race (or at least we are more practiced at it) than guns.

9. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

To be fair, I think the racial aspects are important, as well. Although not as overtly political. Racial aspects as well as socio-economic aspects. The fact that a young man was singled out for a combination of factors that made him look, possibly, 'no good.' Or, as GZ himself put it, one of 'these assholes.' Might he have reacted the same way to a young, skinny white dude in a hoodie? Possibly. Sure, why not? Perhaps someone else might have seen GZ walking in the rain wearing a hoodie and thought he was part of a class of 'assholes.' Then add to that the fact that people can carry guns and shoot them if they approach these 'hoodie wearers' to ask what they're doing and proceed to feel threatened by their response. First impressions die hard, no pun intended. Particularly in the dark. It really just boggles my mind that this is a 21st century possibility at all...let alone a reality. I can't even encapsulate it into one idea or even an assemblage of ideas it seems so ridiculous.

10. mixedmedia

mixedmedia ...

Actually, I can encapsulate it. In one word, even.

No.

11. Plan9

Plan9 Rock 'n Roll

[​IMG]

So what if it's true? #FuckYourEndlessWars

• Like Like x 2
  12. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

"Pshaw where would he be walking to get skittles and arizona ice tea in Afghanistan?"- Abraham Lincoln

13. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

• Like Like x 2
  14. cynthetiq

cynthetiq Administrator Staff Member Donor

15. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Sorry. I'm not about to give you links to Fox News or the Blaze or something. :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bodkin van Horn

Bodkin van Horn One of the Four Horsewomyn of the Fempocalypse

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I wonder how long it will be before he should shoots someone else?

18. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

3 months sounds good.

19. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Very Tilted

I give him two years. Too much attention, he seems very self centered but able to control himself to some degree.

I see where he saying she made much of it up. Guess she and others are all lying, he's just a poor victim again.

20. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

But he's still getting attention and not even for the murder case