1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Trump Documents Federal Indictment & Trial

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by Chris Noyb, Jun 11, 2023.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

The investigations of NPD Trump have lead to one trial, and we should see the documents trial soon
    (maybe not as soon as we might hope).

I think it's time for each case to be examined and discussed separately. Much like the 2024 Presidential Election thread was need (I neglected to thank ASU2003 for starting it).

The Probe thread, and the Trump thread, contain a lot of information but it's scattered because there are so many things happening.

2. Chris Noyb

I'm going to start with one of the top GOP excuse making and deflection attempts:

Why wasn't Hillary Clinton investigated & prosecuted the way NPD Trump has been investigated & prosecuted (persecuted per the majority of GOP leadership)?

Those people are very conveniently forgetting NPD Trump called off, so to speak, the Hillary investigation.

William Barr says Trump privately told him he wanted to drop the focus on Hillary Clinton's emails, despite suggesting the opposite publicly

But he did (attempt to) revive it when he needed a diversion.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...ent-investigation-hillary-clinton-emails.html

3. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Chris Noyb

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris Noyb

I'm still trying to find a good explanation of how this case was assigned to Eileen Cannon.

https://www.axios.com/2023/06/09/trump-indictment-aileen-cannon-us-district-judge

Random selection, luck of the draw? I, and very few people, believe this.

Her being a Trump appointee should be reason enough for automatic reclusion. Her main two pro Trump rulings that got harshly shot down should be another reason for her reclusion.

Someone commented on a YouTube channel saying Eileen Cannon was made available by her moving from her usual assigned jurisdiction. I haven't yet found a confirmation of this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pig

pig Slightly Tilted Donor

I've heard conjecture from a talking head that the 11th Circuit will be waiting to slap Cannon down if she pulls any fast stuff. She was pretty well professionally humiliated in the original case, but if that fell within her jurisdiction I can see how this would as well.

Ultimately, I can see the logic that this will help protect the verdict. Smith MUST be very confident in his case to even bring it - having it in Florida with Cannon involved helps eliminate any issues of jurisdiction and with the appearance of conflict against Trump.

Dude - you can't store our national defense information on stage next to a flipping karaoke night party. Those pictures look outrageous.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chris Noyb

The issue with having to slap down Eileen Cannon is the delays. That is probably the oldest legal trick in the book, turn everything into a war of attrition (esp if you know things aren't going to go well for your client).

But yes if she hears this case and things go smoothly the GOP leaders & magatards can't scream judicial bias (but they will).

I'm still suspicious of the case being assigned to her. Hopefully that'll be a non-factor whether or not the case stays with her.

If we were talking about nearly anyone other than NPD Trump, with his backing from GOP leadership, misguided Repubs, and his nutjob base, this case would be a slamdunk.

The idea that NPD Trump could actually go prison, even a federal white collar prison, is immensely appealing.

Should he actually serve time at his age, I think we all know that The Powers That Be won't let him die prison.

• Like Like x 2
  8. pig

I was just listening to some people on this point, and reading a bit on it as well. It's definitely not the best, and in a world where we don't pretend judges are stoic representations of law I'd think she'd be disqualified based on previous apparent bias.

I'm listening to people ponder why Trump wanted to keep the documents.... I mean... Money?

She can impact all kinds of stuff without getting reversed... Delays, jury selection and sentencing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

NPD Trump thrives on attention, and desperately wants to be seen & admired as someone important. In his twisted mind showing off the documents, bragging about having them when he shouldnt, how he came to possess them, his refusal to return them, etc makes him someone important.

I firmly believe NPD Trump sees legal battles as warfare in which he is always the victorious hero...even when he's clearly the guilty loser.

• Like Like x 1
  10. pig

As soon as he made his daughter and son in law advisors, I assumed Jared would roll out with a USB with all of our documents on it. As soon as he caught that $2B payment from Saudi, I assumed that was true.

I 100% think he would seek to monetize the information. Sell it, or market manipulation.

11. Chris Noyb

I can see it, NPD Trump always seems to want more money.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris Noyb

I overlooked something:
    What's the $2B payment? I don't recall hearing about it.

Edit: I'll post some links in Trump what has he done now thread.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pig

14. Chris Noyb

I'm quoting myself because the following should've been posted in this thread.

Duh, me.

I'm attempting to add another self-quote for the same reason. Edit doesn't allow quotes from other threads?

15. Chris Noyb

Maybe this will work. And I promise to keep a closer eye on which thread I'm posting in.

16. Chris Noyb

Prison time for NPD Trump?
    Don't get your hopes up.

One person who could save Donald Trump from prison

There is no mandatory prison time. If I'm read that correctly Aileen Trump-Cannon would have complete control over the sentencing.

AIleen Trump‐Cannon must be recused. Yes, any judge is a risk , but she's a clear and known risk to let NPD Trump basically walk away with just a conviction.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chris Noyb

We could be seeing another example of insincere prosecution...with a twist.

This case is different in one way. The DOJ gets to fight hard for the conviction, which would (will?) appear to be win for the US judicial system. But at the same time the DOJ is off the hook for sentencing NPD Trump to prison.

I don't doubt Jack Smith's dedication, and (less so) that of Merrick Garland. I can see the DOJ intentionally leaving Aileen Trump-Cannon in place so that she get let NPD Trump go with, or without so much as, an admonishment.

An acceptable win & loss for the DOJ.

An acceptable loss & win for NPD Trump (as much as his mind could see it logically).

A punch in the gut to people wanting NPD Trump to experience actual consequences for his actions.

18. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Surprise! Judge Cannon Isn’t Running The Trump Documents Trial. Jack Smith Is

They're in trouble, Jack Smith is the expert's expert.
    He REALLY knows his shit. Stone cold player.

prosecuting criminal cases for nearly three decades...
    public corruption, war crimes, etc...an expert in going after elected officials and high powered players
    Who is Jack Smith, the special counsel tapped to oversee DOJ's Trump probes?

T's team are in it for the $$$ but most are backup bench players...most quality power firms have said NOPE
    Mr. Smith is going to Washington...by way of Florida. Integrity, perseverance and doing the right thing, just like the movie.
    But VERY skilled, experienced, cunning and not naïve, unlike the movie.

While I did hope they take Jennifer Rubin's suggestion of televising the case, they cannot...not with all the overlapping ongoing investigation info and secret docs.
    I am going to dive into the tactics being played, just as described in the link above.

I think they finally figured out T's MO...delay delay delay.
    Mr. Smith is going to expedite as much as he can.
    The faster it happens, the more bad press gets out.

T's team is going to be punch drunk.
    Rope A Dope style. :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Chris Noyb

^

Jack Smith is very smart, & he has and will stay a step ahead of NPD Trump's legal team of B List attorneys...at times.

The first article is extremely optimistic about Jack Smith vs Aileen Trump-Cannon (ATC). She is a wild card, and as the judge she can play whatever card she wants when she wants. Previously ATC had no qualms about overstepping her authority; will the trial be any different?

ATC might actually act like an impartial judge, but I'm not sure people expect her to.

To redundantly beat a dead horse: If NPD Trump is found guilty, Aileen Trump-Cannon will have complete control of his sentencing. I can hear her saying, "You've suffered enough trauma, Mr. President, you are free to go."

20. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

• Agree Agree x 1