1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest!
The donation button is here.
https://goo.gl/aFggcs
Dismiss Notice
Guest, some new updates and fixes were done. Please let staff know if anything is funky or wonky!!!

Two New Handguns

Discussion in 'Tilted Weaponry' started by Chris Noyb, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & don't criticize.

Mine is in hand, the other is on hold waiting for my wife's background check which was delayed, as expected, because she's a resident alien. I chose a Ruger American, 9mm, full size. Hers will be the Ruger SR9C, a concealed carry sized 9mm.

I'd do links and provide more info, but I really dislike the hassles involved in posting from my phone.

Once her BC clears we'll go to the range and try at least three brands of ammo. More posts to follow.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 30, 2017, Original Post Date: Dec 30, 2017 ---
    IMAG00301.jpg IMAG00300.jpg

2. Chris Noyb

I hope it shoots well upside down.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MeltedMetalGlob

MeltedMetalGlob Weirder Than Normal Donor

Relevant:

• Like Like x 1
  4. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there! Donor

Nice!
    Do you already own handguns or are these your first?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris Noyb

I own several handguns and rifles, I posted a list here at TFP. The only semi-auto I own, until yesterday, is a Ruger Mark II Target .22. About 35 years ago I owned a Browning HiPower 9mm.

The two new guns will require some re-learning and practice. We basically stopped shooting the Mark II once I found out it's a collectors item.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 31, 2017, Original Post Date: Dec 31, 2017 ---
    I'm not a big CVD fan, but I love the Cyborg movie.

6. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there! Donor

I have that exact same Ruger .22.
    And I'm old school, still prefer to shoot a revolver over semi-auto. My favorite is still my stainless Security Six .357 .

7. Chris Noyb

This is a weird coincidence, I have a Ruger Security-Six, .357, SS, 6" barrel.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 31, 2017, Original Post Date: Dec 31, 2017 ---
    The American isn't a huge or light gun compared to some full sized high capacity 9s, but it isn't exactly a carry model either.

Since my wife and I plan to get CHLs, I might need look at something more compact, but that will be way down the road. I have a Taurus M85 (model # ??) that would be easy to conceal. Of course the huge tradeoff is 17 + 1 SA vs 5 revolver. I tease my wife that we'll trade guns; she gives me her NFW look.

8. Chris Noyb

This has very little to do with the new pistols (still waiting to hear re my wife's SR9C).

I decided check and possibly oil a couple of our 'older' pistols in anticipation of heading to the range very soon. I field stripped the Ruger Mark II Target, had watch a couple of YouTube bids. The disassembly was a bit tough because of some very tight tolerances, and it has been shot very little.

The reassembly was a major PITA. The combination of tight fits, how certain parts have to be positioned just so, and getting some aligned perfectly, caused me to watch the videos numerous times.

That's what I get for treating it like a collectors item, instead of shooting it and learning it.

9. Chris Noyb

My was cleared.

We're been to the indoor range near us twice. On the first visit we took all of our handguns, basically to get a feel for the American and the SR9C, and to use up some old ammo. We have a nearly full 500 round brick of 'old' CCI .22 that needs to be finished.

Last night we shot nearly 300 rounds of 9, and a bit over 200 rounds of .22. More practice is needed, but we are getting more comfortable with the new Rugers. The plus & minus is my wife now wants her own .22, a Ruger Mark IV. The Ruger 22/45 (it's not a conversion model) is super lightweight, but looks like movie prop.

I'm being asked to help with dishes and breakfast. More later!

10. Chris Noyb

Re the old ammo......

We had .38, .357, & .22. I wasn't worried about shooting it because we used revolvers. On our first trip to the range I tested the .22 ammo in an old, but sound, Iver Johnson eight shot revolver. After 24 rounds I then tested it in the Mark II; it fired & cycled with no problems. We still have a few more boxes to use up. I did buy a fresh 550 brick of .22 hollowpoints, and they feed & cycle fine in the Mark II.

----------------------------------
    The SR9C with the 17 round clip with the grip extender is very comfortable to shoot. Neither of us cares for the 10 round clip with the pinky extender. It's not horrible, and makes sense for CC, but just feels weird after shooting the 17 round clip. Another factor is my wife doesn't have small hands. It came with a very useful clip loading tool, we're going to buy another one.

I like the hefty feel of the American, but I'm not sold on the lack of a manual safety. It has a small view port to check for a chambered round, and has a side indicator you can feel, which would be very useful in the dark or a grab-and-be-ready-to-shoot situation.

Noteworthy: The cost of the 9mm ammo we shot last night was around 65-70 dollars. The range fee was $10.00 for me (ladies shoot free on Mondays). I can definitely see us getting a second .22 semi-auto, just not anytime soon.

If you're wondering about the gun prices.....the Ruger American 9 was on sale at Academy for $429.00, the SR9C was regular price $399.00. I was OK buying from Academy, but a real deal gun store with knowledgeable staff might be better for a complete new newbie.

11. Chris Noyb

As you get used to the disassembling and reassembling a firearm, it should get easier. Right?

Not so with the Mark II Target. When it takes two people and a dowel to disassemble it, and a metal rod (a screwdriver in my case) to reassemble it, that's way too much effort.