1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Two New Handguns

Discussion in 'Tilted Weaponry' started by Chris Noyb, Dec 30, 2017.

1. KirStang

KirStang Something Patriotic.

It's a PTR9KT. An American HK Mp5K clone!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Two new handguns, again. But not recent recent.

My wife whined because I was carrying "her" LCPII (which she never carries). So I now have my own, and I really like it for the times when CC seriously needs to be CC.

We also ran across a very clean and tight Security-Six in a pawn shop. For $100.00 below current sold prices, we bought it. It's not as tight as mine, but I bought mine new, and know it has less than 1K rounds. If nothing else we have a spare for parts.

BTW/FTR I do know there are other handgun manufacturers other than Ruger. LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  3. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

pawn shopping for guns can be a gold mine. but i love pawn shopping in general

4. Chris Noyb

Yes, they can. My LCPII was also a pawn shop buy. It looks as though it was bought new, had a few rounds fired for testing, and then put away.

BUT around here you have to be careful. Too many pawn shops price items very close too new. At one shop a guy was really pushing a double stack .45 that came with a lot of extras. When I researched it their "best" price was $25.00 under brand new. Caveat emptor!

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Chris Noyb

Since I'm here...a few guns I've been casually considering.

.45 1911 copy, or real, for the right price. Kimber and Ruger have caught my eye. If I ever get serious I know a knowledgeable guy. What he has said, basically the Ruger is solid & reliable while the Kimber has better fit & finish but can be finicky, matches what I read.

Taurus TX22. A double stack .22 that actually feeds reliably, is reasonably accurate (not designed as a target model), and has proved to be durable (an issue with some Taurus models). And affordable.

Not a handgun...Marlin 1894 Cowboy, lever action, octagon barrel (a must). I thought about .44, but I already shoot .357. This is a long shot (ha, ha, ha).

6. Chris Noyb

My wife wanted to visit the pawn shop where a like new Ruger LCR .38 was supposed to be coming out of pawn. It had, but there was some weird cylinder slip that concerned me, and the guy couldn't figure out why it was slipping. FWIW the pawn shop is also a gun store, and the guy helping us is pretty knowledgeable (he and another guy are the go to "gun guys" for five stores).

What they did have was a clean (for being made in 1977) Ruger Security-Six, .357, blue, 4" that someone had forfeited the lawaway. The price was right, and that was before I knew about the "extras."

And of course my photos are too large.

7. Chris Noyb

IMAG00015.jpg

IMAG00016.jpg

IMAG00019.jpg
    I had to crop the image that showed the large "official" Ruger gun bag.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chris Noyb

IMAG00017.jpg

IMAG00018.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chris Noyb

I shot the Security-Six at the range yesterday. It functions just fine, is accurate (I'll do some fine tuning later. What surprised me is how well it handled full load .357; the recoil is very mild, especially compared to the SP101.

10. Chris Noyb

In another thread @omega mentioned the dearth of ammo at Cabelas. The handgun ammo selection at three Academy stores near me has been nonexistent.

The only ammo I really to restock is self defense .380. A few months ago one of the stores had a decent supply of Sig Sauer V-Crown, and I stupidly thought we didn't need any.

11. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I totally posted something in the wrong thread...

Don't mind me. (Though I would love to own a handgun someday.)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chris Noyb

When the pandemic is greatly reduced, panic buying trails off, and production and supply returns to normal, gun prices should stabilize.

Any idea of what you would like?

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

I took a pistol shooting course early in the Spring of 2017—while I passed, that's admittedly the last time I was on a range; far too long, I know. Near the end of the course after we'd completed our qualifications, we were encouraged to play around with the firearms provided to us by our instructors. As I recall, my two favorite pistols were a Sig Sauer and a CZ, but I'd have to go back and look up specifically which models they were, since I don't remember specifically.

Shooting the .44 magnum was loads of fun, but I doubt I'd want to own one.

• Like Like x 1