1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Ukraine and Putin's power grab

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

Yes. To seriously want to remove Putin would be folly. He's only one of the most powerful men in the world. Some would argue he's more powerful than Obama.

It would be better to influence him into a direction that's more palatable.

You might be interested to see how things work in Russia. The power of oligarchs in Russia is far more influential than the power of oligarchs in America. To suggest otherwise would be to suggest that America is more corrupt than Russia. I would say it's not.

In Canada, power is more diffuse. Much of the same happens in terms of monied interests vs. more balanced political means, but we have different regulations when it comes to money and politics. There are limits that cannot be broached without suffering the consequences. There does occur on occasion more concentrated power, but that's achieved through the electorate. When a prime minister has a majority government, he or she holds more power over Canada than an American president could ever dream of having over America. Not a bad accomplishment for a politician who doesn't garner votes outside of his or her own riding.

Canadian politics is a different creature from either Russian or American politics.

The point is that those who have enabled (and continue to enable) Putin won't be happy with the sanctions being exacerbated to a point of financial loss. So far, much of the sanctions are highly targeted or symbolic. If things get out of hand, especially militarily, crippling economic sanctions will certainly hurt everyday Russians, but it will also hit the pocketbooks of the Russian oligarchs, who are otherwise mocking Obama's ineffective (to them) sanctions (thus far). If it comes to that, you can bet the oligarchs will pressure Putin for a quick resolution. Most of these folks care about one thing: money. If they are cut off from international markets, it's really going to piss them off.

This isn't true. Refer, please, to my reference to the Enlightenment. The Age of Reason ushered in a decoupling of religion and law. Much of the world moved away from concepts such as the divine right of kings or laws to prevent sacrilege to concepts such as social contract theory, leading to the separation of church and state.

Whether one argues that law is based on morality, legal positivism, will to power, or a combination thereof is one thing, but it's an error to assume that morality is a concept exclusive to religion.

Morality is basically a determination of what is right vs. what is wrong. These are difficult to determine in absolutist terms, which is why laws vary jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I don't want to get into a debate about the nature of law and morality. My point is that the Ukrainian issue is relevant because Russia is violating the concept of national sovereignty. Ukraine isn't in a position to defend that on its own. The rest of the world could ignore the situation, but that's not very practical given existing economic and political ties. Why do we have foreign policies and international relations? It's because of the interconnectedness we share around the world. What happens between Russia and Ukraine matters for a number of reasons. To ignore it is to undermine the very idea of national sovereignty, and it would suggest that it is permissible for Russia to use its military and political power to annex whatever territory it sees fit.

It may or may not be a moral question to you, but I'm wondering if you have any problem with autocratic expansionism.

I'm not sure where you want to go with this. Are you suggesting Russia is right to break away from the idea of national sovereignty in the name of autocratic expansionism?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

This is an excellent summary and good positive perspective of what mindset we should take during this situation. IMHO
    What do you think?

3. Street Pattern

Street Pattern Very Tilted

Good article, but the misuse of "approbation" was jarring. I think he meant "vilification".

4. Baraka_Guru

Judges would have also accepted reprobation.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Indigo Kid

Indigo Kid Getting Tilted

After reading all of the above and numerous articles etc. I say OK let Russia have the Crimea.
    Who are we (the USA) to tell Russia they can't have it?
    Aren't 90% of the people there Russian anyhow? Didn't most of those living there Vote to become a territory of Russia's?
    I just pray we stop being the "Police State Warmongers of the Planet." No more sending the US troops overseas. Enough is enough.

6. Baraka_Guru

Well, maybe the U.S. isn't the best example of who should tell them they can't have it. It's a good thing there are several others who are also saying that. Not even China is siding with Russia, which is telling.

Actually 46% of Crimeans aren't Russian. There are two sizeable minority groups of Ukrainians and Crimean Tatars (or native Crimeans). We're talking about three quarters of a million people (Crimea is only about the size of Maryland). They aren't Russian, but they are now supposed to suddenly accept that they are a part of the Russian Federation?

Also, consider this: How Russia Rigged Crimean Referendum - Forbes

And this: Crimea's referendum was a sham display of democracy | Ian Birrell | Comment is free | theguardian.com

I think it's about balance. It's one thing to be a warmonger; it's another to be an isolationist. Either can be harmful.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. rogue49

Let's just say he might win this battle, but he'll lose the war overall.
    Putin's short-term gain will be a long-term pain.

You're already seeing tons of money, resources and trust...lost from the move.
    People outside of Russian have changed their view of the nation...and not for the good.

And now they are planning for additional aggression...or other "what if" scenarios.
    After Crimea, West plans for Russia military threat

My question is this...will Putin survive the damage?
    And if not...who'll be up next?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  8. Aceventura

Aceventura Slightly Tilted

The sanctions are laughable.

Assume you are a Russian billionaire who happens to have a large sum of money in a US financial institution - in the name given to you by your parents and commonly known internationally ( a big assumption I will touch on in a moment) - Obama goes on TV and says we are going to freeze Russian assets in about a week...seven days...that's seven days from now...what would you do before the seventh day? Would you move those assets, or hedge? I would.

Even people who are not billionaires have their assets spread - diversified. I imagine a Russian billionaire would have wealth in various currencies. I imagine a Russian billionaire would have interests in companies/investments that is not easily determined, perhaps there is an Acme Holding Company owned by a trust, controlled by an investment bank, funded through a Swiss Bank, under a fictitious name, connected to said Russian billionaire.

Let's not assume billionaires are stupid - even Russian billionaires.

Then do the math - let's say the ruble declines in value - meaning Russian have to pay more for foreign goods. That is the typical Russian. but nationally Russia is not a net importer, they are a net exporter! Meaning on a net basis they accumulate Euros/dollars/yen/etc. Oh, but the world will stop trading with Russia - wrong. Europe has to have Russian natural gas! They have no alternative. Have you wondered why the sanctions are targeted to a list of people???

Putin is at least two steps ahead of the US and the West.

We engage in symbolism while Putin annexes new territory. Not a winning strategy. I believe if you are going to engage, go all in or not at all. Symbolism is a wasted effort.

9. Baraka_Guru

Look at the big picture. The sanctions we've seen so far are only a start. They could get much worse, but nobody wants that. Do you think this is something to take lightly?

Even still, what has happened so far has already had an impact. It could still get far, far worse. Russian Economy, Tycoons Take Hit In Crimea Crisis

No it's not. You should know your American history. Going "all in" is often a mistake. Perhaps this is why sanctions have been highly selective so far.

Regardless, sanctions still have much potential to be highly punitive. Merkel: "G8 no longer exists"; as EU plans further sanctions on Russia | euronews, world news

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  10. Aceventura

I repeat. The sanctions are laughable, they are ineffective, they will accomplish nothing. I am not sure what you mean by "lightly", but you can interact in terms I have actually used. Ineffective is much more clear and specific than "lightly" - why go from a clearly stated viewpoint into something subjective?

Tell me how Europe is going to agree to (serious) sanctions when they need Russian natural gas and other resources?

Wealthy people are not moved by daily headlines. Dig into the numbers - who is selling? Those from the US and the West who have invested in Russia - perhaps those in Russia will take advantage of the fire sale and buy assets at a deep discount - there are multiple points of view.

I am not sure the concept of "all in" is clear to you. I do not know how to make it clearer than what I have already written. Putin knows what he wants and got it - we engage in symbolism. In those conditions the one who knows what he wants and gets it - wins. It is not simply about immediately going to war over every conflict.
    --- merged: Mar 21, 2014 at 11:36 AM ---
    I was going to ignore this, but I can't. Right and wrong is grounded in religion. Without religion there is no right and wrong in terms of moral behaviors, there are only behaviors. Religion does not require a belief in God as most people define the concept.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  11. Baraka_Guru

Do you even read?

It wasn't subjective. Try this: take lightly - Wiktionary

The Russian economy has been shaky for months now. Even if the EU is reluctant to turn off the oil taps flowing to Europe, other measures can still penalize a weakened economy that has put Putin on the defensive domestically.

It's a difficult situation, which is why "all in" would be foolish.

Rumour has it that billions have already flowed away from Russia domestically over the past few months. Rumour has it that several of those in Russia with wealth have sanctions against them, limiting their options, and more are being targeted.

Have you dug into the numbers deeply enough?

You think this is all symbolism? You think Putin is winning? You think Putin wanted all of this? Why do you think he made this move? Because conditions were just right?

Putin perhaps is the closest we've seen as being "all in." (I never considered "all in" meaning "going to war.") Unfortunately for him, he's not likely to come away from this unscathed. The damage has already been done, and it will have a long-lasting impact on the future of Russia.
    --- merged: Mar 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM ---
    This is false. It claims that the nonreligious are amoral or immoral, or that there is no such thing as being irreligious or nonreligous.

Religion does not have a monopoly on morality. (Thankfully.)

But perhaps it is a topic for another thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2014
  12. Aceventura

Do you read? Who is selling in Russia?

There are outlooks of various lengths. Some take a long view, some do not. A Russian billionaire in the steel business has a good business today and will have a good business a year from now and a good business 10 years from now. If US and the West penalize Russian steel, world steel prices go up - and Russia will still have markets for steel.

Also in the article you cited, quotes from business people saying those with interests selling imported products to Russia will suffer. How much pain is Europe willing to endure? In this game of "chicken" - I bet on Russia.

Also, in the article you cited - Russian billionaires are not complaining and are not going to complain!

You do not understand the concept. Putin is "all in". We are not. We are not really that serious. There is a limit to what we are willing to do. Putin knows it, you know it, the world knows it - so what is the point of b.s. symbolism? There is no point to it.

You introduced the concept of symbolism in regard to our actions up to this point and I agree with your description of our actions. Yes, Putin is winning, perhaps he has already won.

Try to understand the warrior mentality ( there are different mentality types, not a commentary on right or wrong simply what is), battle scars are badges of honor. A warrior will display his trophy and in some cases display his battle scar with more pride. It is clear many Western politicians do not understand what motivates guys like Putin.

13. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

The main thing the EU is worried about is that this is just the beginning of Putin's expansionism.
    They're willing to take some economic hits to make sure they don't have to put boots on the ground in a couple of years because he decides he can take what he wants when no one responds to this bit of smash and grab.

Right now the sanctions the President has put into effect are somewhat limited because he doesn't have overarching powers, he needs the elected bodies to back him to push harder.
    Considering how proud Boehner and McCain are of being on Putin's sanction list I don't think he'll have any trouble.
    One of the things the President has shut down is Putin's personal bank.
    This is the one run by his best buddy and that does most of his business, so it will hurt.
    When all American companies can't do business with Russia (especially the Exxon - I still have a grudge for the oil spill in Alaska and it's efforts to get out of paying) they will fold.

There have been major marches in Russia already against the invasion, they will only get bigger as the economy falters.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Baraka_Guru

So operating a business is kinda like autopilot? It will probably take care of itself?

What are you betting on, exactly?

Do you mistake silence for complacency? Contentedness? I think that's making too much of an assumption.

Do you know of any billionaires who don't care a whit about the economy? How much do you know about these Russian billionaires? (I don't think they're really the type to complain.)

Oh, I get your vague concept of "all in." What you don't seem to get is how diplomatic/political situations can unfold. You cling to the idea of symbolism, the idea of stasis. I have no idea why.

Won what, exactly? A mess? He's certainly doing well so far, at least.

I hope you don't think Putin is motivated only by narcissism. It's more dangerous than that. Add money and nationalistic pride, and you'd be much closer to the mark.

I think the West understands him perfectly. He's hardly enigmatic. He isn't exactly a new player, either.

15. rogue49

16. Baraka_Guru

This is the thing. The EU was pained to have lost a Ukraine trade deal last year to a Russian bailout. Now they've gained Ukraine possibly more than they had hoped for back then.

Again, Crimea relies greatly (or had relied greatly, as the case may be) on Ukraine for resources.

I'm sorry. Who's winning exactly?

17. rogue49

Well, perhaps a Russian Chess Grandmaster can tell us.
    And someone who's actually gone up against Putin politically and internally.

If anyone knows, he does.
    Hopefully, we'll stop fooling ourselves.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Baraka_Guru

Yes, as always, it comes down to the money. I wasn't sure how/if targeted sanctions would work to that extent. Certainly, if the West can economically cripple the wealth/power elite in Russia, it would pose a threat to Putin's power base.

A house of cards sort of thing.

That's the risk, I suppose, when your power base is so narrow and concentrated.

19. rogue49

Perhaps we can out-Putin, Putin. A very Machiavellian thing.
    Where as he's given an excuse to be fiscally/politically attacked, under the premise & rationalization of punishment for his aggressive actions.
    Then you not only undermine him, his allies and his nation all-together,
    but this allows transfer of funds, resources and projects over to other nations, especially those acting...thus gaining themselves and leveraging advantage.

It's been done before.
    He hasn't played "fair" (at least from the international media/political mindset at the moment) So all bets are off.
    Then you can take advantage of the play & punishment.

That's what happened in WWI...Germany attacked, the Allies fought back, then after the fact, punished them with reparations,
    increasing their own power bases as Germany's waned.
    Except that was with guns, not electronic policy...and they did overkill, triggering Germany's depression and setting up the rise of the Third Reich.

So, if they're going to do it...they better do it to cause pain and gain advantage, but not so much that you make Russia desperate.

20. Aceventura

Russia accounts for about 15% of international oil trade. I have not seen current number showing EU dependence but if this is true:

Russia in the European energy sector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

we are talking about a significant hit to the EU economy, a big hit to Western economies. The current response is a "no response", in my opinion. Putin is calculating and will take advantage of opportunity. Expanding NATO would have been and would be a deterrent - and there is not even agreement on that, and until there is expect Putin's expansionism with limited sanctions against individuals or not.
    --- merged: Mar 23, 2014 3:26 PM ---
    These are silly questions. The global demand for steel is strong and will be strong for decades to come - the demand is there. There are costly barriers for entry into this business - for example I doubt Greece could replace Russian steel production in my life-time. Russia produces as much steel as UK, Germany, Spain and France combined. Russian production is close to US production. The industry in Russia is strong today and will be strong into the future - does any reasonable informed person dispute that? Are your questions attempting to dispute that? Do you read about international economic issues?

That the EU lacks the conviction to directly respond to Putin's aggression with serious economic sanctions. Were my previous comments not clear?

No, I compare empty rhetoric and symbolic gestures to complacency. Many are very busy patting the President on the back for his use of sanctions and his talk about not tolerating this or that - I say it is b.s. - the smugness in this is a problem. Thinking something is being done when it is not is the worst form of complacency in my opinion.

I read what they write, I listen to what they say, and to the degree possible study what they do. One difference between billionaires and you is perspective or outlook. In an earlier post I paraphrased Warren Buffet on this topic - and his view is a long-term view. Yours is not.

Many billionaires buy when the masses sell and sell when the masses are buying based on headlines. The RSX is an ETF based on Russian leading stocks, it is down over 20% YTD - $22.31 Fri. close. Put it on your watch list and ask yourself at points in time, what type of person is buying @$22.31.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014