1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

Politics Ukraine and Putin's power grab

Discussion in 'Tilted Philosophy, Politics, and Economics' started by rogue49, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

I've been saying from the beginning that a Nuclear Ukraine was a strong possibility. They had nukes before and gave them up, this isn't like North Korea trying to figure it out for the first time.

2. rogue49

rogue49 Tech Kung Fu Artist Staff Member

Wouldn't surprise me if they found a way around the clause...because the other countries really didn't go too far to help them.
    It's like Israel...if you've got enemies nearby that have taken action in the past and are hostile, you up the ante.

Personally, I know I would.
    That would be like someone expecting the cops while being robbed...and getting notified that the police got the IRS to stop their tax return to help.
    Oh yes...and if they break into your house...the neighbors will get the utility companies to raise their rates...And they'll say shame, shame a lot. :rolleyes:
    Nope, I'd be saying...they're threating me, they're threatening my family...I'll help myself.

What would you do if someone was trying to take over your country??
    Or provoke a civil war?? Or both...

3. rogue49

This is starting to impact the Russian economy and the Russians themselves...they're losing people and resources from the venture.

Oh yeah, now he's pressing his "right" to invade...now that Ukraine is fighting back...and NATO is sending troop to its own multi-country borders. :eek:
    LINK

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Baraka_Guru

Baraka_Guru Möderätor Staff Member

5. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Okay, this is deeply troubling, enough that I honestly want to believe it's a hoax:

6. Baraka_Guru

It's popped up on a number of news sites. It seems hoax-like in that it's surreal.

Disturbing, yes.

Meanwhile....

Canada to send 6 CF-18s for NATO operation in Eastern Europe - Politics - CBC News

7. rogue49

Damn, those CF-18's are spiffy looking...you should send a few pics to any arrogant hyper-American you encounter and that will get them to STFU. :cool:

And yes, it does seem a bit surreal.
    Jews being registered in Europe.
    Russians taking over places

It's like we went back in time...

Are we going to have to fight for Civil Rights and Suffrage again too??? :rolleyes:

8. Baraka_Guru

9. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

The registration isn't a hoax, it's been verified as having occurred but the group named in the papers denies that they were behind it. My response is "Well no shit", even if this were real nobody starts out saying "Hey guys yknow what's a great idea? Genocide sounds awesome, lets do that!".

And people wonder why even Jews living abroad consider the existence of Israel a necessity... we never know when we'll need to run.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rogue49

Well, the wheels keep on turning...

On one note, we've got more legit proof that Putin and/or Russia is involved, despite their protests otherwise. (as if we didn't need more...)
    Photos Link Masked Men in East Ukraine to Russia

But on the other...he really couldn't give a flying rat's ass. (and that's the problem)
    Why Putin Isn’t Scared by $115 Billion of Debt: Russia Credit

Some people only understand one thing, power and a sword to their throat. :mad:
    Gaddafi, Hussein...etc. They may get theirs in the long run...but they cause havoc & disaster until then.

And they have NO hesitation in lying and deception.
    Whatever honor they may have, it certainly isn't by our terms.

11. rogue49

U.S. Weighs Harder Line on Russia Than European Allies

and see...this is why Putin thinks he can get away with it.
    Between the politicians being wishy-washy and the corporate conflicts of interest in Europe, there's no firm line.

To be honest, there's no way that the US is going to get directly involved, boots on the ground with Russia,
    in addition, we're already spread thin, trying to get out of another war...and war weary too.

It's like the effect of the bully or aggressor on the playground...and no one wants to jump in to help or say anything.

It's really up to Europe to do something, it's their backyard.
    The US is standing up for "rule of law" in this case. (and yes, I understand there is some hypocrisy in this stance)

12. redravin

redravin Cynical Optimist Donor

I saw a great exchange on Rachael Maddow last night.
    She was talking to the former ambassador to Russia and he pointed out that when Russia invaded Georgia than President Bush did nothing at all.
    But he did it with swagger.

13. Baraka_Guru

Ouch.

Seriously.... Is everyone going to just sit and watch this happen?

Putin's Human Rights Council Accidentally Posts Real Crimean Election Results; Only 15% Voted For Annexation - Forbes

• Like Like x 1
  14. rogue49

Well, by now...everyone knows that Putin is a lying sack of shit.
    And those that are following his messages are simply rationalizing their own desires.
    Media only likes the "blood" and "drama"...so they'll post the controversy.

BUT it is what the greater powers in opposition are "willing" to do about it.

No one wants actual military action.
    Sure, let Ukraine have it's Civil War...we've all done it...but you don't want the greater powers getting into this.

So right now, they're doing what they can to hinder or cause pain to him.
    And even that is in conflict with some corporate groups, who are only looking at their losses and gains, the bottom line.

Basically, it's who blinks first...sure Russia may lose in the long-run.
    But what chaos and damage will it cause in the short-term??

15. rogue49

You know...many say Putin is supposed to be a political "genius"
    But with this minor grab...what he's done is given his "competitors" a international legal reason to be able to undermine him & his nation.

Now the US and Europe...and other nation that competes with Russia on the global market...can remove many resources and assets.
    Potentially, putting Russia back to where it was at the end of the Cold War...broke.
    Kind of difficult to be a power player, when your bank account is becoming short.

And China isn't the best economic ally either, as it attempts to redirect to other "clients"
    ...as the US has discovered...and Russia will quickly find that China plays for itself...and steals ideas. (business is ITS govt and vice versa)
    It's not like playing with the US and China, where their corporations are detached from the govt.

So all he's really done is pulled the rug out from under himself.
    He may be good at keeping himself in power...but I think he's naive when it comes to international play.

16. rogue49

And as a followup on my last post on Russia dealing with China instead...

Did China Just Checkmate Russia in Ukraine?

If this is extended...there is a scenario where Russia pays a price for it's audacity,
    and hopefully sets a precedent where there's a geo-political and REAL cost to violating others' sovereignty...without even some buy-in by other nations.
    And done without "military force"...

This is not to say the US has not stuck it's hand in the bowl either.

But I think the difference is the US typically briefly negotiates some buy-in however vague from other major players,
    then it rarely if ever stays...and even if it does, it works within some local govt/leadership framework.

Not to say this is right...but at least it gives the perception that the US is there on a temporary basis.
    The US hasn't been in the expansion business since the 1800's...that also helps reaction to their actions.

Russia has a bad-habit of complete take-over with no buy-in from anyone else.
    So it gives the image of Russia as a conqueror...not a "police-man".

17. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Very Tilted

China isn't stupid. For all their talk, size, and western handwringing they're not remotely the threat to the west that people make them out to be. The US' GDP per capita is about 51 thousand. China's is six.

18. rogue49

I spoke too soon...and it looks like Russia & China have come to terms.
    ...more than likely to China's advantage if I can presume. (Russia is up against a wall at this time)

But I do think that Russia will still get burnt by China in the long run...they have a way of twisting things.

19. rogue49

And a nice summary by a political SME...not just a schumck like me.

Actually, I was lucky enough one day to run into Mr. Friedman...very nice guy, very genuine and modest.
    You can tell how decent a celeb is, when they encounter the people on the street who know them.
    I don't know if he's right all the time, but IMHO he gets it most times...and puts it down well.
    Not rambling like me. :rolleyes:

20. rogue49

Obama's Bitch :cool:

After a phone call with Putin, Obama tells him how it is...and this happened next.
    And there's your balls, nay-sayers.

To announce this so formally and publicly is a BIG step back and a way to "save face" for Putin.