1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

uncle phil made me go "Hmmm.."

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Fremen, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

uncle phil posted a joke in the laugh lounge and part of it got me thinking. (dangerous territory here)

That's funny and all, but now I'm most curious.

What would be your pick for the most dangerous food we have eaten or will eat?

My flippant answers would be bologna and yogurt.
    Bologna because of the running joke about it's ingredients. (vegetarians don't eat it, though)
    And yogurt.
    Even though I do eat it occasionally, there's just something about the thought of eating a food that still has active bacteria living inside it that creeps me out.

Serious answer: I would pick white sugar.
    They process the hell out of it and it's so damn addictive.

What are your thoughts?

2. jewels

jewels New Member

Vienna sausage. Death in a can.

3. ManPaste

ManPaste New Member

Being a health nut, this is almost impossible for me to answer, but white (refined) sugar is right up there. That being said, red meat is great for you and needed for your body, provided that it is both certified organic and from grass-fed free-range cattle. The stigma about red meat today is regarding grain-fed cattle, also lodged full of antibiotics and confined to a barn. They produce terrible meat which causes disease. Soft drinks do more than just corrode your stomach lining (and that's the least of what they do), but that's a whole other field to get into. Chinese food is loaded with MSG, but so is almost everything else (also, when you read the term "Natural flavors" in a product's ingredients, it's really MSG). Fat is good for you, so is saturated fat and cholesterol. Carbohydrates and sugar are the problem when it comes to what food is composed of. Then you can always get into the hydrogenated oils and vegetable oils, but that also is another story. You can also get into most shampoos, soaps, toothpaste, deodorant, laundry detergent, and cosmetics today which are all toxic and disease-causing too, but, that too is another story. In regard to "the long-term harm caused by the germs in our drinking water", he should be more concerned with the fluoride and chlorine in drinking water, especially since chlorine kills so much of your probiotics and flora. With all of that, save for much more, out of the way, I'm going to say vegetable oils are the worst ingredients. Canola, soybean, safflower, sunflower, cottonseed, corn oil, etc. Those rate about a 10/10 on the danger scale. But then again I could name things that rate a 9.99 on the same scale. Food, life, and health are all too complex for anyone but the truly dedicated to understand.

4. ralphie250

ralphie250 Fully Erect Donor

those are good. may not be good for me but they are good.
    i can remember when i was little my granddaddy and i sitting in the deer stand eating those and pottied meat.
    those were the good ol days

5. EventHorizon

EventHorizon assuredly the cause of the angry Economy..

aluminum foil

6. ManPaste

ManPaste New Member

Anything aluminum. Especially aluminum pots and pans, as well as aluminum in 99% of the deodorants. Unless that was a clever poke at conspiracy theorists.

7. EventHorizon

i was just talking about how people that end up chewing on aluminum foil as children end up going all Simple Jack

8. DamnitAll

DamnitAll Wait... what?

Corporate advertising and fossil fuel.

9. Meier_Link

Meier_Link New Member

I'm going to have to go with fast food, which, sadly, comprises about 30 percent of my overall diet.

10. Fremen

Fremen Allright, who stole my mustache?

What about mercury?
    Are there other ways we ingest mercury other than in fish?

11. EventHorizon

thermometers?

12. Cayvmann

Cayvmann Very Tilted

Twinkies are the debbil. The delicious debbil... Sugar and refined flour would be my guess at what I eat too much of, and is bad for me.

13. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

Ground beef. A delicious, juicy e. coli bomb ready to detonate in your stomach. Get the right strain and no amount of cooking will save you from the toxins.

Lunch time yet?

14. samcol

samcol Getting Tilted

i would have to say the gmo corn and soy that is in almost every single food product we buy. i would argue high fructose gmo corn syrup is way more dangerous than white sugar.

15. ManPaste

ManPaste New Member

Coal-powered anything (usually power plants), soil certain foods are grown in (mostly anything soy, which is bad in itself unless it's organic fermented soy), vaccinations of all kinds (especially flu), exhaust (oil contains heavy metals including mercury), gasoline/fuel, light bulbs (especially the new "green-era" ones), dental amalgam (but mouth/tooth surgery is bad anyway), and a few other sources I can't recall right now, but those are the main sources.

16. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

Do you have a source for this? I'm curious.

17. the_jazz

the_jazz Accused old lady puncher

18. Spiritsoar

Spiritsoar Slightly Tilted

19. There have been more illnesses and deaths linked to ground turkey than beef recently
    http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitnes...-ground-turkey-salmonella-outbreak/49936124/1
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4397866...lamed-salmonella-death-outbreak/#.TkR_xmFBXfI

Any food, improperly processed, stored or prepared, can pose a risk. Meats, fruits, vegetables, dairy... they've all taken a turn in the hall of shame.

Refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners? All overused and bad for you in the mass quantities the general population consumes them.

20. RangerJoe

RangerJoe Slightly Tilted

This thread makes me sad. :( I eat everything listed here (except for the vienna sausages... the smell alone.... UGH!). Does that mean I'm going to die when I'm 30?

I'm highly doubting it. ;)

Hopefully.