1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We've had very few donations over the year. I'm going to be short soon as some personal things are keeping me from putting up the money. If you have something small to contribute it's greatly appreciated. Please put your screen name as well so that I can give you credit. Click here: Donations
    Dismiss Notice

United Airlines has doctor dragged off flight because he refuses to "voluntarily" be removed.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Borla, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

Some questions for those shadow defending and outright defending UA:

If it were you, and you really needed to (or even simply wanted to) make it to Louisville that Sunday night,
    would've have you gladly accepted the $800.00?

If you were selected for the involuntary bump, would've you been tempted to make up a story/to lie?
    Would've you simply walked off the plane while X number of other passengers got to keep their seats?

There is some news media feeding and knee-jerking going on, but UA blew it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. martian

martian Server Monkey Staff Member

Probably not. Neither did he, or anyone else who hadn't already disembarked.

No, and I'm not accusing anyone else of doing the same. I haven't seen any kind of statement from the passenger who was taken off. Have you? All I've seen is a single video, some corporate "statements" that say fuck all, and a lot of outrage and conjecture.

What I will say is that I don't have the full picture here and I don't think anyone else in this thread does either. One video, regardless of how shocking, does not tell the whole story.

Yes. When the men with the police jackets show up, it's time to go. Call your lawyer from the terminal and sue the shit out of them later if you think you have a case.

There's some interesting discussion happening in /r/law about this. According to those peeps (at least some of whom are probably actual lawyers) the consensus is that he might have a civil case on breach of contract but refusing to leave the plane when asked is most likely indefensible even if the crew were in the wrong. If someone asks you to leave their property and you don't live there, there aren't a lot of scenarios where you can lawfully refuse.

That's all it is at this point. The video's gone viral and the court of public opinion has decided. Shock and outrage. Who needs facts when you have feelings?

None of it matters anyway. Like I said, United will give him a pile of cash to make it go away. The whole thing gets swept under the rug in a couple of weeks, maybe a month at most. Outrage doesn't really sustain for long.

It's not really my intent to defend United as such. More so just to try to be impartial. I don't know enough about it to say anything meaningful and I find myself suspicious of anyone who says they do.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 11, 2017, Original Post Date: Apr 11, 2017 ---
    I suspect United has policies outlining all of this stuff that don't afford the kind of flexibility you seem to be envisioning in the first place. I don't know that there were seats available for the crew on other flights, but I can certainly see how it would be valuable to them to make sure the crew arrives together. I don't know when their Louisville flight needed to depart, or what other obligations the crew needed to fulfill at the airport.

It is at the very least plausible to me that the most viable economic option for United under the circumstances was to cut this guy a check for $1300 and get him off the plane, even given the options you describe.

And of course they didn't factor the negative press into their process, nobody knew this was going to blow up before it actually happened.

3. Chris Noyb

Chris Noyb Get in, buckle up, hang on, & be quiet.

@martian, you have a newborn at home, a wife recovering from childbirth, and you're trying to organize your new office. I absolutely can not see you having the same thoughts you've posted had it been you selected for removal.

I thinks it's perfectly natural for people to have empathy for the man, and that it's clear UA made some bad decisions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Borla

Borla Moderator Staff Member

Those are part of the problems IMO. This situation isn't a simple "greater than or less than" math choice. There should be flexibility involved and/or more of a real world sanity check (and check on legal/corporate procedure) before the call is made to physically remove someone.

As a sidenote, the impression I get from most of your posts in here is that you are lumping everyone in this thread who thinks UA did something wrong into a shocked and outraged lynch mob. Perhaps I'm reading that wrong, or I'm the only one getting that impression, I'm not sure. But your first post made it seem that you hadn't even read my entire OP. If you had, I don't think you would've gotten the impression that I was shocked and outraged. Perhaps your initial replies were painted by things you read elsewhere on the internet more than what you read in this thread? IMO no one here is really throwing a huge fit over it, just pointing out it should've been handled better. I think you would probably even agree it should've been handled better, or at the very least, it should be motivation to improve such situations in the future.

And to be completely transparent, I made the thread more as an excuse to try to foster some real discussion in here outside of the "daily" type threads. So if I did come across as shocked and outraged to people in here, it wasn't my intent. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  5. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

Much of the initial uproar in the media indicated that this man should have been removed from the seat lottery because of his status as a physician and his insistence that he was needed by his patients back home. Some commentators went so far as to indicate that doctors should have special privileges, that their duties are such that they should always be granted immunity. The argument here is that this man was a dishonored physician with no real duties, and therefore was making unbiased claims to back his refusal to leave his seat.

He still should be treated with respect and grace. I previously responded with two alternative scenarios that would have been respectful to all involved. I stand by that response.

• Like Like x 1
  6. martian

There's a mix of debating specific points here and commentary on the general reaction outside of here, which perhaps muddies my points. For clarity:

1. Disagreeing with your OP doesn't mean I didn't read it. I chose initially to address the greater mood surrounding this whole affair, because it reeks of lynchmob and has me on edge. I apologize if this has made it seem that I'm mischaracterizing your position.

2. I'm (still) not convinced that United acted outside of the law. There are a lot of assumptions being made. Some of them are bound to be wrong. You can make a case that the policies United has set around these sorts of cases aren't moral but expecting a corporation to be moral is silly. If corporations were moral we wouldn't need labour laws. You can also say the law is bad and will get zero argument from me on that one, but it still doesn't make sense to be upset at United employees if they acted within it. You're saying that they didn't but I still don't see your proof of that.

3. This issue would not have gotten any kind of traction if it hadn't been accompanied by a shocking video. Your specific response may not be fueled by shock and outrage, but the overall shitstorm surrounding this event most certainly has been.

4. These two commentaries from me, though happening concurrently, are not necessarily related.

Respectfully, you have no basis for any kind of statements about what I would or would not do. My wife at four months post-birth is well recovered and more than capable of taking care of our baby alone for a few days if need be, my work is remote and my office, while nice, isn't terribly relevant, and even if those things weren't true, getting arrested and stranded in a foreign city helps nothing.

I can feel empathy for the man and also believe that he acted wrongly. The two are not mutually exclusive.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Borla

I said that, not because you disagreed, but because in your first response you asked very basic questions about my ideas and opinions that I'd already addressed in detail in my OP. It gave the impression you didn't read past the first few lines of my OP, assumed outrage, and loaded your own argument against assumed outrage. Not a huge deal, just a bit ironic is all. ;)

It's being widely reported, based on eyewitness accounts, in reputable news circles including articles I've linked here. UA has not denied it in any statements I've found. That is a preponderance of evidence for me. YMMV.

The exact law is here:Fly Rights

In part:

Here is the latest statement from UA CEO Oscar Munoz:

United CEO apologizes in full: ‘No one should ever be mistreated this way’

If you take him at his word, he's outraged, disappointed, angry, and says the policies allowing this all to happen are broken and will be addressed publicly in the next 3 weeks.

8. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

It matters mostly because many people have been trying to present this person as a "poor doctor who was dedicated to his patients" when there is actually know quite a back story to this guy, which I've learned since I posted that. His behavior escalated the situation significantly, and it was quite odd. Typically, doctors present themselves in a manner that reflects their level of.... Something. My brain is very tired. Most doctors I know would have gotten indignant, walked off, and called a lawyer, rather than behave in a way that will likely impact his practice for a very long time. This was my personal, not professional, opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. martian

I see two articles from you (not counting the latest one). The first one recounts an internal United memo where CEO Munoz rehashed the events. His phrasing seems to imply that the rules were followed but the outcome was regrettable. The second one has already been discussed and is regarding the statement of rights the passenger should have received. I still don't see a compelling reason to assume that he did or did not receive it. Passengers on the plane didn't see it happen but it's entirely plausible that they handed it to him in the terminal after he'd been removed, since that's not likely a thing they had on board the plane to begin with. The law doesn't state when he has to receive the document, just that it must be presented as part of the process.

You seem to want to default to assuming he didn't get it at all. I'm willing to assume competence on the part of the crew. There's really no way to know unless someone directly involved comes out and makes a clear statement. It's all just spitballing.

I also don't see a compelling reason for United to comment on whether or not their actions were legal, regardless of whether they were or not. I'm sure their lawyers would be gnashing their teeth at even a hint of anyone wanting to do so. What could they possibly gain by coming out and saying "no guys, what we did was totally legal?" Expecting a response from them on that subject isn't very realistic as far as I'm concerned.

"Corporate CEO engages in damage control following PR nightmare." Meh?

To be clear, I don't think United are the good guys here. I just (again) think that we don't have all the facts. There's a lot that we don't know and that really can't be known. And I think the backlash surrounding it is way out of proportion given the circumstances. That's not a statement specific to anyone here, it's just a general observation.

10. Borla

The article linked earlier specifically mentions that UA's written procedure doesn't call for handing the rights of carriage over in writing. Even though the law does require it. So are you assuming the crew was competent and followed their employer's procedure? If so, he didn't get it in writing. Because that's part of what is broken here.

Addressing the part of your post that disappeared as I was typing this reply, out of curiousity, did you read the entire OP before replying to the thread the first time? Not that it's required, just genuinely curious.

11. martian

The part of my post that disappeared was removed because I decided it's not really relevant and further discussion about it is distracting from the thread. But yes, I did read the entire OP. I chose not to address it directly in my initial post. I see how this has caused confusion and I apologize.

I rejected your alternatives because I didn't and still don't consider them realistic. That's just not how the corporate world works.

12. fflowley

fflowley Don't just do something, stand there!

I think you're missing something bigger. This wouldn't have gotten this kind of traction IF the flying public didn't deal with being treated like human refuse on a daily basis by the major airlines.
    I go out of my way to fly Southwest when I must fly. American and United treat me like they're doing me a favor flying me somewhere. I've never encountered another industry with such open disdain for their customers.

• Like Like x 3
  13. genuinemommy

genuinemommy Moderator Staff Member

I would have taken $800+ a seat upgrade on the next flight... unless I was traveling for a funeral.

I've jumped up and offered my seat for less.

I do think United handled this in a completely backwards fashion. But I have previously offered my seat in exchange for bonus miles, a free hotel stay, and a meal voucher...

14. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I will step up and defend part of United Airlines right here, right now.
    And, I'll answer your questions... in a minute.
    But first, how many other flights could have potentially been affected by having crew not show up for the next flight? I've been delayed in Houston for THREE HOURS, when I could have driven to Lake Charles in a shorter time, because the crew from Shreveport needed to get to LC. You have to have specific numbers of people on flights and you absolutely cannot allow employees to be in the air for more than is allowed by the regulations or you can not only end up with severe fines, but also end up with overtired pilots and staff. Also, "Hostess" is an inappropriate term for what flight attendants, terminal staff, and support persons do in terms of their roles. They are essential and flights cannot depart without the right number of employees on board. So, the crew issue is something that I can actually understand. If it was the CEO or other employees, it is highly unlikely that anyone would have been bumped for them. Source: I've been denied flight access multiple times, despite my benefits because there were revenue-seats already booked or someone with more seniority booked for the same flight.

Secondly, yep... they fucked up and it should have been addressed prior to boarding. But, shit happens. And it doesn't just happen to United. But, this allows people to dredge up every tiny mistake that they've made over the years. Scapegoating. Number One Rule of Arguments: Don't being up the past. There are soooooo many stories about Delta, Southwest, American Airlines, all of them... but they never pop out again until something pisses someone off. And then it's the same tired, overblown bullshit that was shared the first time. Suddenly, it's "all relevant" again and those other viral people come back. Cash me ousside... how bow dat?

In terms of your questions, and yes, I'm a bit offended by some of the blanket statements going on in the media and in this thread, so I'm a bit snarky, I'll own it.

If offered the $800, would I have "gladly" accepted it? Probably not.

Selected for the involuntary bump, would I be tempted to make up a story? Sure.
    Would I have lied? Most likely not.
    Would I have tossed out my profession and made up a story, presented myself in a manner that would belie my ethics training, reflected poorly on my profession and my self? HELL NO. Because I respect my board and I pay attention to ethics and I would never abuse my standing as a doctor (who seriously could have had patients that needed to be seen the next day) in this type of situation. And, I've had actively suicidal patients that I couldn't get to, that needed to be seen, get directed to appropriate treatment before. Because that's what you do as a responsible professional, you arrange for backup in ANY scenario.

Would've I have simply walked off the plane while X number of other passengers got to keep their seats? When the cops show up, I'd have to be a freaking idiot not to. I'd have called a lawyer if I felt like it was a rights violation. I would NOT have conducted myself like this person, I would not have screamed and fought and disturbed/frightened children and other passengers because I was upset. It's inappropriate for an adult, it's gross negligence for a professional. First, do no harm. And, I would not have run back across a terminal covered in blood. It is highly unlikely that a concussion would lead to this behavior without an existing underlying issue, not immediately. Someone with a concussion would have a significantly difficult time "running" or even finding his way back to the terminal, due to associated confusion, disorientation, and vestibular difficulties.

So, I'm not shadow-defending. I'll acknowledge UA's decision-making issues. But I'll also vouch for the CEO being a respectable human being and remind others that the people that forcibly removed the.... oh, I have so many names for him in my head... person from the flight were NOT UA employees and the UA employees were following policy of not only the airline, but the airport (IIRC) safety guidelines.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Borla

Dude, if I'm coming across as upset, I'm not. One of the things TFP has been lacking for a long time is having people engaged in a disagreement without getting irate, throwing insults, or getting bent out of shape. I'm not taking offense at your remarks, and hope you aren't at mine. No apologies needed, I just enjoy the engagement. :p

Though I'd argue that we live in very different parts of the corporate world. Thing things that I do, and my company does, to jump through hoops to take care of customers is very different than how this was handled. Even when it means a temporary hit to the bottom line. Not saying we are perfect, or win every time. But I cannot remember once in 20+ years (as of a week ago actually) me feeling that I had to mistreat a customer due to some company policy.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

The press has not at all helped. Looking at what this man did years ago to somehow modify the current narrative is garbage reporting. His behavior just prior to the deplaning situation was that of a typical human being. Then everything changed.
    As one human being to another, I pity him.

Edit/For clarity: "deplaning situation"-- the first instance of United asking for volunteers to leave the plane.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Japchae

Japchae Very Tilted

I'm not at all convinced that his behavior (that which was caught on video) "was that of a typical human being." Sorry.

And, by throwing out his profession to others, he changed his own situation.
    He lost my pity based on how he became so completely absorbed in his own outrage that he traumatized other human beings.
    I was skeptical the moment I saw the video, long before anything else was released about his background.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

The only way I know of how he was behaving prior to United instigating his removal was by the lack of commentary on it. I don't know that he wasn't drugged by the cops prior to his injuries and that some of his behavior might have been drug-influenced.

I get that his commenting to people that he's a doctor is not OK. But everyone knows there are plenty of shitty doctors and ex-doctors. My point is and remains we should treat people like human beings. Including people who we feel are not great people.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  19. Fangirl

Fangirl Very Tilted

I didn't care about his doctor status, ever. It seems United didn't either.
    I felt he was treated terribly. That's all it ever was for me. The human factor.

• Like Like x 1
  20. martian

You've never once in twenty years had to refuse a client service due to circumstances outside your control? That's surprising.

I think it's important to keep it in mind that it was not United employees who removed him from the plane. The police did that, after he refused multiple requests to leave peacefully.